Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Urban Undine

Hm. I thought this would remind me of Lavender, Sea Salt, and Rain -- but it really doesn't!

On my skin, when wet, Undine is so much airy sea spray, a little salt, and just a wisp of ambergris. I don't find any lavender.

While drying, and thereafter until it soon fades, this one mellows to a very easy-to-wear sea-spray skin scent. Soft sea spray over soft skin ambergris... slightly salty (and amply alliterated?).

It might be interesting to layer this with Lavender Lightning.

Ooh, this is just lovely. :heart: 

It's not as salty as Lavender, Sea Salt, and Rain, but it has some of the qualities of that scent with the softer qualities of Waiting 2016. It's ocean spray and sea salt tinged with lavender and softened by the musky ambergris. It's more of a rain scent than an oceanic scent by the end of the day... like there's a gentle rain near the ocean, or you've caught the scent of sea salt on a breeze during the rain. I find the way the ambergris mingles with what's probably the ocean spray (it smells like a rain note to me) very comforting.

Aquatics don't really work on me, but I adore Waiting 2016, and I appreciate Lavender, Sea Salt, and Rain once the blast of salt calms down. If you enjoy either of those scents and are looking for something else in that category, or if you happened to miss those and wish you hadn't, you should definitely try this one! I love this, and I think I'll need at least two bottles. :dance: 

i am a big fan of aquatics, but not lavender. 

(but i almost always agree with @doomsday_disco!) 

in the bottle, this scent has a lot of lavender- not a super sweet one, though I am pretty new to BPAL, and I can’t really pick out specifically with a lilith lavender smells like, but a more herbal one. this lavender was stronger when i first got the bottle, but after settling a few weeks, it’s mingled more. 

wet- i get fresh, realistic lavender floral- green almost like when you break a piece of grass, followed by saltiness and rain like water.

when i tried this initially, the lavender went on sharp and astringent and faded off to reveal a scent much like the past lilith ‘a vast similultide interlocks all.’

as this dries after resting, the scent feels like a colder rain- purple tinged storm clouds, the ambergris making it soft and salty.

while i like simultitude, it almost borders on soapy. after resting, this scent does NOT edge towards soapy. it’s almost sweet, and somehow cold because the lavender’s astringency balances out somehow as it burns off. it does get lighter and more aquatic, and it wears close to the skin. 

all in all, i’m very pleased with this scent :) 

In the bottle this reminded me a lot of Waiting, but without the asphalt note. Lavender and rain. On my skin it gets saltier (but not like SALTY) it's definitely more salty sea air than murky bottom of the ocean. The ambergris I think helps give a slightly warmer, airier quality with just a hint of sweetness. Gorgeous and fresh, I adore these aquatic lavenders.

Ever since Sunrise with Sea Monsters, I love a good oceany aquatic. Love the touch of lavender (I also have Lavender, Sea Salt, and Rain - but find this quite distinct from that one that I can justify a bottle of this). I can't wait to wear this in the summer!

Somehow, I'm amping the ambergris (which I don't mind, but I was hoping more for the lavender and ocean spray, which appear briefly before vanishing). It's pretty, and it's a good "clean but not soapy" scent, but now my skin's eaten a lot of it except for a bit of the ambergris, so I don't quite think it's for me. 

This scent is so evocative of time & place, moment & feeling. Starts a little Irish Spring fresh, which is not usually a good sign for me. But it quickly veers away from soap and into wet, misty sea spray, with lavender - so fresh & brisk! The combination has potential to turn laundry detergent, but again dances the right way to cotton fabric, damp with saltwater rather than clean.

Reminds me of a t-shirt drying in the morning's first rays of sunlight, when you've started out chilly, worked up a sweat, and just before the damp shirt makes you colder, the sun comes out and burns away the mist. Shares something with Lazy Daisy in that clean cotton way, but swap the lemony rose for herbal lavender. This is an excellent, peaceful summer bedtime smell and a great morning wake up. Bracing wind on a balmy day.

Urban Undine is pretty true to the notes. It's not soapy to me, which I was nervous about since aquatics tend to go tragically soapy on me. On application, the lavender starts out herbal and strong, paired with an equally strong salty ambergris accord. As it dries down, the lavender fades to a whisper in a nice ambergris-heavy aquatic scent.

It's a straightforward and solid aquatic. I like it and I think it will make a good warm weather perfume.

Edit: Urban Undine works wonderfully for layering. I really love it with forest note heavy perfumes to transform it into a woodland lake atmospheric.

Edit 2: After just 4 months, this has aged beautifully. It's now a very soft lavender aquatic, more reminiscent of rain than ocean. Stunning!

Edited by dancingchair

On 11/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, freyasfae said:

Ever since Sunrise with Sea Monsters, I love a good oceany aquatic. 

Sunrise with Sea Monsters, I remember that one! :cthulhu: Sunrise is a mighty fine aquatic and Urban Undine is a bit similar, but replacing the floral and fruit notes with herbal lavender.

Covid nose in healing version, will hold on to this to try later:

so far Urban Undine in the vial has an an almost Yvaine-like but slightly earthier lavender with crisp ozone bits supporting. On the skin I'm getting crisp ozone with not much lavender.  Drydown reminds me of Deep Midnight Perfumes Into The Aether (earthy greenery, aquatic florals, ozone) a bit. This is more like what I want out of petrichor notes, without the grit or acrid quality those can have on the skin sometimes. This has more of the sharp, clean air vibe. Perfectly unisex.

I reckon or hope this will age well and bring out the lavender more. Because the opening reminds me of Yvaine a bit I may grab a bottle and let it age. Very nice and will have to deathmatch with Lavender Lightning.

For fans of the above but also Lullaby, Lilith's Feel Better Flowers, Lightning, Alkemia Mist Becoming Rain, and Lavanila Vanilla + Air. Maybe Boober fans could vibe with this, too. 

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

This scent opens with a blast of harsh, dryer-sheet lavender -- not sure if that's the lavender alone or the ocean spray note contributing. Luckily, the harshness fades as it dries down, and then the ambergris comes out to soften the scent some more. Overall, a salty aquatic with a clean lavender edge to it. My impression throughout was "oh, this is like the Lavender, Sea Salt, & Rain Trio except with ambergris!" I need to deathmatch it with said trio to see if I'm correct on that one, but if you liked Lavender, Sea Salt, & Rain, there's a pretty good chance you'll like this, too.

I can't remember why I purchased this - I don't typically like aquatic scents, and I already have one "rainy" Lilith blend, Waiting.

I totally forgot I had these from last year, it's been such a crazy year, but at least it's had time to settle, I guess! LOL.

Wet: On, this is much nicer so far than sniffing the bottle. The aquatic notes that remind me so much of laundry soap are much less prominent, and the lavender comes forward. It's a strong herbal, but also sweet lavender. Almost minty, oddly. I quite enjoy it. Not getting much of the ambergris, which is a shame. 

Dry: Granted I have not given this long to dry, however it doesn't seem to be morphing much - a strong herbal lavender with vague hints of subtle aquatic notes. A good bedtime scent for me. 

First Sniff: Sea salt and fresh ozone, yummy!

Initial Wet Application: Ocean, bright salt brine and maybe some soft lavender.

Dry Down (first 15 minutes): It’s fresh and aquatic ocean salt spray. I was worried this would fade quickly, so I double-applied which helped. It’s still lighter than I would hope for, but that’s okay as I really like it. 

My Reaction: I love this! It's the fresh salty ocean; clean and bright. It reminds me of the old Seaspray lotion from Bath and Body Works. While I love Pool of Tears for aquatics, that’s more briney tears whereas this is more ocean. 

Rating: 5