Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Painted Scars

In the bottle: mostly juicy plum and blackberry wine, with a hint of the lavender adding floral sweetness. Deliciously purple!

Wet on skin: still mostly plum and blackberry wine, but I can smell the sandalwood adding a bit of woodiness now.

Dry on skin: The lavender and white musk come out more, making the plum and blackberry wine combo smell more crisp, clean, and floral and less juicy. The sandalwood is still there in the background, adding a hint of wood. I don't really get much boozy smell from the wine, at this stage it's mostly plums with a twist of blackberry. Overall, a really nice purple-y fruity scent!

A full glass of ripe, strong blackberry-plum wine. More the deep purple fruit than the wine, but all are quite present.

This blackberry-plum is... declamatory. Loud. These fruits are drunk and have a lot to say.

I'm finding the lavender is all but drowned in the potent dark fruity wine, but I can smell a nice, calm white sandalwood under the party.

This blackberry and plum wine borders on garish and I don't mind. :smilenod: I'll enjoy this decant, though I'm noticing as I huff it too much, it threatens to bring a headache.

This is so purple that everything previously thought to be purple is just a dirty shade of mauve.

This is a royal shade of purple that queens wear to proclaim proximity to divinity.

Its what kids smell like when left alone with a pack of grape nerds and chugging them with Fanta grape soda. They belch purple.  

Its bold and juicy. Its playful. Its not very grownup so the wine note might be less boozy than you were looking for, but every once in awhile adults should belch purple to proclaim their own proximity to the divine.

Do Eeet. 

This is 2021 plum. That's all you need to know, really.

If you love 2021 plum - Asleep in the Deep, Raucous Games Inside a Bathhouse, Velvet Void, Elderberry Flower and Sandhill Plum, and Drider Crossing Guard - you will love Painted Scars. If, like me, you find 2021 plum heartbreakingly sour, unripened, and unpleasantly pungent, like a plum picked far, far too early, well then, Painted Scars is same old same old. I would like to throw this one against a wall and just call it a day.

I get a good hunk of blackberry wine, no lavender, a fair wave of white musk, and the sandalwood doesn't really stand out for me. The tragic plum does.

Plum is my favorite note, and it is doing me dirty this year. Do not want.

I'm getting primarily dry, powdered fruit from this. A real sweet-and-sour vibe.

Musky plum on lead vocals with everything else harmonizing in the background.

It's cool to see how some of my faves (lavender, sandalwood and BPAL's wine interpretation) add atmosphere as purely background players, but ultimately this is not for me. As a perfume. If you handed me something that smelled like this as a cocktail and called it a blackberry-plum sour, I'd be all over it.

Ohhh.... This is my beloved Mirror of Spring Pleasures on Kites blackberry wine 🥰. It's almost a single note of it on me, though the plum is present. No lavender, or white musk detected (lavender gives me a headache, so that's fine with me). A shade of the sandalwood peeks through the delicious berries on the dry down. 

Keeper ❤️

In the decant: Juicy plum, sandalwood, and lavender. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's plum and blackberry wine. As it dries, the wine note goes away, and I get some lavender, and... something a touch powdery. I can't say what as this isn't usually how sandalwood or white musk present on me. 

Aaand... then it fades back to a faint but juicy plum only on me. It's pretty while it lasts, but it doesn't last long enough to make me reach for this decant again. 

To me this was plum, blackberry, sugar, and ended up in sort of a plum-grape candy territory. I think the wine ended up being a sweet red wine. Medium throw and wear length.

This is blackberry wine and candy-like plum out of the gate and remains that way throughout wear, although I do get some dry, white sandalwood and white musk behind those notes by the end of the day, adding a powdery quality in the background. It's very purple and very candy... like a blow pop without the bubblegum, or perhaps a ring pop? I am having trouble finding the lavender in this one, sadly.

If you want to smell like purple candy, this one is for you!

Blackberry wine heavy on me, which is perfect because this was the note that called out to me the most. There's hints of the lavender and plum. Even though this is a wine scent on me, it's still pretty sweet and not too boozy. Honestly, it initially smells closer to a juice scent when I first applied it but it dried down and smelled more like wine to me. As it starts to fade, it gets musky and powdery.

This is really nice, I am very happy with how this one turned out! 

i LOVE plum, but generally i tend more towards the sophisticated, perfumey black plum-types, and less towards the cleaner, sweet, tart wild plum-types, which reads to me as kind of spa-like and not so much my thing.  i also adore almost any kind of musk except white, which is usually just too sharp for me. also, lavender is iffy for me. 

so.  i shouldn't really like this.  but i do? 

this comes on initially with all those qualities that make me kinda meh.  astringent lavender.  tart clean plum.  sharpish white musk.  but then it starts to come together and softens up, and i keep going back in for huffs and enjoying it more every time. i'm kinda shook. 

the sandalwood is light, but it seems to ground all the high notes a little.  the blackberry emerges as the most prominent note, and i'm reminded just how much i adore blackberry. 

it's juicy and purple and candy-sweet, but also fresh, herbal, and a little woodsy. 

i don't know, it's an anomaly!  this just makes me feel light-hearted, youthful, and happy.  i've decided i'm not going to try to deconstruct it too much, i'm just going to enjoy it