Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

See Thyself, Devil!

Saccharine sweetness cloaking something sinuous and sinister: sugared opium poppy and lavender water.

This was a bit of a gamble. I'm not sure why I chose to blind bottle it instead of going the decant route, but I did, and the gamble paid off. I think it's primarily sugared opium magic water. There is lavender, but it's subdued and behaves. It just smells like sweet magic to me. My 6-year-old was entranced as well, and proclaimed "it almost smells like chocolate!" (That's not what I get, but I think it's a form of high praise from a child.)

Edited by Seajewel

This was a blind bottle for me as well, and so far so good.

Bottle: The scent in the bottle is a heavy floral, slightly bitter--in a good way. I am assuming that this is the opium poppy, as I am quite familiar with lavender and sugar already.

Wet: Mmmmm, sugary florals. The poppy and lavender seem to blend seamlessly together, supported by the sweet sugar scent. The lavender adds a brightness that's almost lemony, but not quite. It lifts the perfume from the depths that the sugar-laden opium goes to. 

Dry: This is an incredibly balanced scent. I love how each note sings and harmonizes with the next. You can just smell the individual edges of all three, and yet each one lifts the others in turn. I love how the sugary note, while attached to the poppy, really acts as a foil against both florals, so they can't be taken too seriously.

This is almost a Vicotrian Grandma scent, but it manages to veer away from this and heads in a more playful direction.

@Seajewel I can see where your little one gets the chocolate/cocoa from: There's a depth to this like dark chocolate, as well as a deliberate sweetness. I think your kiddo is quite astute, actually!

Edited by katharina

This is more about the sugared opium poppy than the lavender water to me, but mainly, it smells like a mainstream perfume in the way that Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending and Ava do. So if that's your thing, you'll definitely want to give this one a try. It's got that sparkling quality that Butterflies, Jewels, and Flowers Attending has even though they don't seem to share any notes, and it's a powerhouse -- I could smell this on my arm all day.

I'm not sure I need another scent in this family, but I'll probably pick up a bottle for my mom, because I think she would love it.

ugh, swoon. one of favorite notes EVER is opium for it's hypnotic and decadent profile and this does not disappoint. I agree that it's mostly sugared opium but I do get a slight tinge of lavender if I sniff deep enough. 

this one attracts attention and smells expensive. my partner and my daughter immediately said "omg you smell DELICIOUS." 

i'm obsessed, but this is a very particular blend. opium is very powdery so just keep that in mind. throw is fantastic and it lasts all damn day. 

This turned out to be one of my favorites from the scents I decanted! Sometimes the simple blends really shine. It's mostly floofy sugared opium, but with a whiff of sweet, light lavender water. It has great throw and smells elegant.

This one breaks my heart. The sugared opium is GORGEOUS, that hypnotic gothy elegant vibe that is quite typical of opium blends, and the lavender plays just the lightest of touches behind it.

Originally, this was in my "decants to upgrade to full size" pile, but the more I wore it, the more I realized it turned into an unfortunate situation of nose-singe on my skin. The phenomenon where certain chemicals interact with my skin and nose in a way that burns the sinuses, just like snorting water up your nose. Other "wine" notes have done this to me too. It's a buzzy, tingly, burny feeling in the nose and it's not pleasant. 

Component issues strike again for me in this Lilith release. See Thyself Devil will unfortunately not be getting a full bottle or even staying in my decant stash.

Wet: Soft, not-quite-lemony-but-sort-of cologne. Fuzzy and sweet. 

Drydown: Sweet, dark, and tart. Lavender sits at the core of the scent, but it's not your usual lavender. It's lemony, but also soft and subdued. The opium is a soft and subdued variant of its usual self as well — lending a light smokiness and sticky depth to the blend. There's a part of this scent that wants to veer into aquatic cologne territory, but the sugar and opium keep it in check.

Dry: Glowing and almost creamy with a floral smokiness at the edges. It conjures the image of smudging and drinking sugary, creamy tea while walking along the edge of a meadow. Unusual and lovely.

8 out of 10 bones

i adore this scent. it's the calming, light, and sexy "opium den & lavender" scent.

someone in a flapper dress would wear this. someone who looks HOT in a flapper dress would wear this. 

ALSO

i don't get the whole "chocolate"/opium references. i dont get any of that - i think it may just be how certain people's noses perceive it tho? 

to be quite honest, this smell is on the exact opposite range of "chocolate" smelling things to my nose.

this is light, delicate, "almost-floral-but-not-quite" 

honestly none of these descriptions do this scent justice. it's simply gorgeous. 

need a backup bottle 100%

EDIT: 

i just woke up & i had a better description of See Thyself -

hummingbird sugar water

does that make sense???? you know those hummingbird feeders that you put sugar water in?? slightly floral ambiance but mostly sweetened sugar water???

okay that ALSO doesnt *quite* do it justice but honestly it is kinda accurate lmfao

like it NEVER goes powdery.

its ethereal (lavender) and fresh (sugar water) but still heavy (the opium) 

like i probably never wouldve "picked" a scent with these descriptions but here we are. it's so smooth. 

one of those "overall sum of it's whole are greater than the parts alone" type of things

flappers, hummingbirds. she's got it all.

Edited by rivetted

This is delightful! Not too sweet, no powder....just a light opium perfume with a hint of lavender. There is a distant touch of something aquatic or petricor-like.  

Freshly applied, the saccharine sweetness is no joke! Within the first five minutes the sweetness calms down to something more tolerable, and you can pick out the lavender water and her sinister sister opium. The best part of this scent is the drydown, where the two notes meld and it becomes a gorgeous perfume that lingers all day.

Agree with rivetted that it is greater than the sum of its parts, and an unexpected pleasure.