Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Tonka Bean and Saffron

This on me smells like saffron. No tonka bean for sweetness...just pure saffron. It's making me hungry for saffron rice as a matter of fact. I was hoping the tonka would come out more to balance it. I am going to put this one in the box for a bit to see if it does. Otherwise...it's going on the chopping block.

This is very different than I expected. It’s like, earthy and spicy and dry when wet and gets softer and creamier on the dry down. I would say it’s saffron forward fading into Tonka. I’m curious to see what it will be like after resting for a few weeks.

This smells very familiar. I suspect the combination is a commonality among many of the classic amber fragrances I like. In any case, it's beautiful. It gives me an impression of the color gold. It's warm and sparkly. Stays pretty consistent on my skin. This is going to be wonderful for layering. Low throw, long-lasting.

This starts off as a somewhat syrupy combo of tonka bean and saffron (with the saffron being the dominant note throughout wear on me). Over time, it becomes drier and a bit woodsy... I swear I get a touch of cedar in this after a few hours of wear? Because that bit of woodiness in the background is reminding me of The Small Brown Cat, but much softer.

I like this and will be keeping my decant, but I don't think I need a bottle.

I get a syrupy resinous saffron on wet, that definitely dries to a drier, woodier resin saffron. Medium throw and wear length.

I do not get any saffron from this. I've let my decant sit for a few months now and I do not smell saffron in the bottle, on wet, or on dry. It smells pretty much the same as it did when I first got it. It's a pleasant smell and I still mostly like it, but I'm disappointed that I can't smell saffron.

I guess it just smells like tonka? It's a spicy perfumey smell but I've never smelled this smell before even though I have a few things with tonka in it. It goes on a little strong but fades quickly. It disappears after three or four hours. I'm almost tempted to get a bottle compare the difference because everyone else seems to be getting a saffron-forward scent. Hmmm...

In the bottle, and wet on my skin, I can smell bright, warm saffron. 

As the oil dries down, the saffron disappears, and the tonka gets a bit weird. I know I've worn blends containing tonka and saffron successfully before, so I'm not sure actually which one is going awry in this case. I do get a vaguely woodsy effect others are describing, but it's almost like there are mushrooms growing on it too, because it is some funky wood. I had been resting this blend hoping it wasn't my skin chemistry, but it's definitely me. I'm making it weird. 

Hopefully I can rehome this to someone who can wear it better!

Edited by LavenderCoffee