Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Peach Brandy Snake Oil

Holy crap, this quickly became my favorite of the Dragon Con peaches.  The brandy note is strongest in the bottle, but on me it's quickly overtaken by a beautiful golden peach and that dark snake oil -- brandy lovers fear not, my skin amps peach like no other!  This isn't a gourmand peach, but the sweetness balances out the musky and spicy snake oil gorgeously.  I'll definitely be wearing this one through autumn.

Um. Tracking says this got here just before noon, so this has rested. Eight hours, but it has rested. And I cannot resist longer. 

In the bottle: Echoing the above "holy crap" and raising the Lab a "holy shit!" It's beautiful peach brandy. I know the Snake Oil must be behind it because while it is a jolt of liquery goodness, it is not assaulting my nostrils like straight alcoholic notes can. 

On my skin:

Wet, this is every peach perfume I have ever wanted. It's baked peaches, so the juice is concentrated sweetness, along with just a hint of spice (probably from the Snake Oil proper?). As it dries, I can smell the patchouli and musk of the Snake Oil come out closer to my skin, though peach brandy still dominates the scent's throw. 

Given more time to develop, the Snake Oil -- musk and patch and spices and I must even be getting vanilla because this is so damn smooth, not sharp like fresh patch can be -- makes its presence more known. It does tone down the overall blend on me, which serves to make it a little less in-your-face but a lot more all-day-wearable. 

Not in outright scent but in feel, this reminds me a lot of Pomegranate Grove: Snake Oil. (To be fair, it's fall, and everything has been reminding me of PG: SO.) Peach Brandy Snake Oil is sweeter, but the fruitiness still gives it a lighter and brighter feeling than I get from many Snake Oil blends. 

This is straight-up gorgeous and the first BPAL peach scent to really work on me. My only regret is that I bought but one bottle. 

This is everything I hoped it would be. Perfect late-summer scent, with just a hint of the warm colors of fall. I could bathe in this scent. Snake Oil sometimes swallows up other scents on me when it's blended with something else but this? This is perfect. 

Nomnomnomgone. My skin ate it.  From steaming hot smokin peach brandy snake oil to faded peach air freshener in 10 min. Dude, I suck. 😆

Peach Brandy SO smelled lovely in the bottle when it first arrived and it still smells pretty good... in the bottle.

When I wear it, I get only a little peach from it. The fruit is borderline boozy, but isn't offering a lot. And no SO even after drydown.

I think maybe my skin is just kind of becoming one with this one and not leaving much for me to smell.

I bought 3 bottles of this blind, knowing I would love it.  So glad I did!  In the bottle:  Big blast of peach and peach blossom.  On, wet:  Warms up fast, and I am getting something almost like peach ice cream with a hint of peach brandy.  Some kind of vanilla thing is going on also; borderline floral vs. gourmand vanilla.  Drydown:  After several hours,  this dries down to a sort of gorgeous sheer peach vanilla musk; all of the elements blend so perfectly that it's really hard to pick out individual notes.  If this perfume was a garment it would be a peach and rose-gold embroidered kimono full of gold and peach embroidery.  Really liking this one.

Wet: BOOZE. Straight up peach brandy, no Snake Oil (yet).

Dry: Peach brandy and patchouli. It's not really reading as Snake Oil; it's more like it's hinting that it's LEADING to Snake Oil, but never fully gets there.

I expect, as with other S.O. scents, that the Snake Oil will come out more with some aging.

Right now, this is a like, but not love.

Out of the bottle I smell snake oil most strongly, with a boozy whiff of peach. On my skin the peach changes, everything is quite lovely for a moment...but then, it all turns very acrid on my skin, which is a thing that often happens to me with boozy scents. Right before my skin destroyed it, it was seeming really great, so if your skin chemistry works better than mine I expect you would love this! I wish it had worked for me.

Literally ripped it open from the mail, and slathered. I definitely need to wait (I know, I know!) as I basically am only getting a touch of boozy peach, but the dry down is mostly snake oil. Regardless, I’m loving it so far! 

Edited by Marci

UPDATE 5/16/2022: Had to give up my bottle as the Great Skin Chemistry Shift of 2022 turned this into pure alcohol sweat on me. It reminds me of the smell of hungover friends the morning after a wine bender.

UPDATE 2/5/2022: I grabbed a bottle of this because why not? The most prominent smell is the brandy note, which is VERY sharp to my nose. The peach is there, but overwhelmed by the brandy. I don't get any Snake Oil from this, but underneath the brandy smell is the promise of something wonderful. I've had my bottle for over a month and it has mellowed in that time. It's still sharp, but I imagine that all the not-brandy smells in here will mature beautifully.

Original Review: I picked up a decant of this unsure of what peach notes would smell like on my skin. My only experience with peach scented things is a peach deodorant that did nothing but amplify the stench of sweaty armpits. This made me not terribly excited to try the Dragon Con scents, but I was hoping that this one would work thanks to the Snake Oil component. (FYI, the only other Dragon Con I got was the Vanilla Wafers one since vanilla really works with my skin chemistry.)

WELL. Color me disappointed when my decant finally arrived and reeked of fresh, acidic cat piss. The whole package smelled of it, as did my hands after handling it. So I put everything aside to rest for the day. That was yesterday.

Today, my decant smells of dried cat pee and sweaty armpit brandy. I'm just going to leave this in the dark for a while and hope time causes the Snake Oil to bloom while subduing the acidity of the peach brandy. The best that can be said is that it took multiple hand washes to get the smell off.

Edited by Tamarinda
Update

This is a lovely peachy, syrupy Snake Oil. I don't get much booziness, but that's OK - it's a welcome addition to the Snake Oil family!

You love Snake Oil? This basically starts off as peach tea on me, and then slowly but surely morphs into Snake Oil after about an hour. It has a light whiff of peaches after an hour, but its mainly and very recognizeable as Snake Oil. This will probably age beautifully. Medium throw and good wear length.

The lab's brandy doesn't like me.

Snake Oil and I are mortal enemies. 

.....this.  This has people huffing me and commenting on it aloud.

Wet: a blast of warm syrupy/macerated peach

Semi-dry: Boozy peach note.  This would be the best Slurpee ever.  Note: this started to warm and tingle where I put it so if you're sensitive, this one might not be for you.

Dry: This is hard for me to describe and I'm going to contradict myself a little.  To me, it's musky spicy peach with some sweetness so it's not a heavy smell.  It's a warm scent.  My mom's peach cobbler kind of smells like this the next day before you heat it--like the all the peach and nutmeg and such with a bit of sugar before warming it pushes the sweet and crust smells up front--but it's not necessarily a "foodie" smell.  It's totally wearable.  I'm surprised I like this.

I admit I did wear this layered with a drop of aged Snake Oil, which probably amped the snakey goodness. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It reminds me of the 90’s classic Tresor with its powdery peach, but the deep vanilla and spices of Snake Oil tinged with patchouli and booze make it less cloying and more goth. It was utterly enjoyable and I can only imagine will improve with age. Good longevity and throw.

I have had this for a few weeks and am now finally wearing it. 

If I didn't know the name, I would not guess there was Snake Oil here. The peach brandy is really nice and strong! After about an hour there's a depth of vanilla that edges in but, again, I would never guess Snake Oil. 

I really like this. So, I'm gonna pretend I don't know the name and enjoy it regardless. (I am really sad about whatever has changed with Snake Oil in the past few years. It has lost its 'muchness'.)

Dark, unaged Snake Oil and lots of alcohol. Honestly, I have never smelled or tasted brandy so to my nose this smells somewhat like wine? There's a hint of peach, not a lot. It's mostly boozy Snake Oil with a sprinkle of peach juice. It's not very sweet, so I would say this is a better fit for people who don't want a heavy peach scent and would rather have a Snake Oil brandy blend.

I like it, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite Snake Oil. I wish I got a little more from the peach, but maybe with some aging the brandy note will calm down some.

Love peach. Love booze. Love Snake Oil variants. Love this. Wet, glowing peach, a bit like Aglaea, but less resinous, more like a damp, vegetal freshness. Syrupy sweet, almost like the grapey sweetness of a nice violet note, or the extra fruity peach in Les Bijoux. Candy sweet and juicy. Never powdery, like Snake Oil can do me.

Recently purchased from a lovely forumite. In the bottle, my first thought is peach Egyptian musk with occasional whiffs of vanilla. The initial impression on my skin is a loud peach (not dissimilar to the one in Peach Vulva and which I must amp), creamy soft vanilla musk which is probably the Snake Oil with just the hint of something woodsy and spices. I didn't really pick up the brandy note, rather just a general astringency that I also got from the peach note in Peach Vulva. My brother picked up on the brandy immediately and my father said that this wasn't his favorite BPAL he's smelled on me as of late. This smells nice to me in the bottle but unfortunately, the peach doesn't agree with my skin chemistry. 

In the decant, this is Snake Oil with a deep, intense, boozy peach. On my skin, the peach gets extremely loud and syrupy-sweet, almost overpowering the SO and, to my nose, clashing a bit with the SO notes. Going to pass this one on to someone whose skin chemistry likes peach better than mine does.

I've skipped this one entirely, because peach is not a note i generally enjoy on myself.  though i have been curious, because i love me some snake-adjacents.  my curiosity was satisfied when i was frimped this in a recent swap <3.  turns out i like it much more than i thought i would!

starts as a very syrupy peach with maybe a hint of snake oil elements (but not actually snake oil to my nose.)  settles in as musky lite snake oil with a hint of fuzzy peach skin. it's not super-recognizable snake oil, so it's possible i wouldn't recognize it if i didn't know it was there. surprisingly quite nice!

This is a perfect late summer scent that I've been wearing all year since I bought it last autumn. It's sweet and dark and spicy, my favorite Snake Oil blend hands down. 

I let this age for almost a year to see if it would gain some more oomph to it and if I'd like it more. Alas, it has not happened with this one. I don't think it's bad, but it is very light on the Snake Oil on me and is mostly peach brandy with a breath of Snake Oil's spices and musk (and none of its vanilla) on my skin, and even the peach doesn't have as much oomph as it does in other scents in my collection. The brandy ends up being the strongest note on me by the end of the day. So I'm going to let this snek variant go, because I know I won't reach for this over my other snek variants or even the OG.