Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

Lizardfolk Park Ranger

The scent of ancient trees, vast shadowed canyons, rocky snow-tipped peaks, and rushing rivers, with notes of pine needle, oak bark, sweet birch, stream-polished stones, lichen, dark mosses, nootka, hazelnut, rivulets of amber, and blackcurrant bud.

Sharp clean notes of pine and birch linger in the background as earthy lichens and moss take center stage, warmed by raw amber. This is the scent of nature at its most rugged and untouched, with a slight sense of foreboding and hidden things, tricks of light against the trees.

Instant love and full bottle upgrade. This is the smell of nature itself -- like forest bathing, or the way your skin smells after hiking through a conifer forest, swimming in an alpine lake, then basking in the sun. It's very well-balanced with average throw and wear length (I refreshed it mid-day because I wanted to smell it again). 

I was most excited about the stone, moss, and hazelnut here, least encouraged by the pine and blackcurrant. To start, this confirmed my fears - that scratch n sniff book pine smell, with a hint of something lemony. Seriously, this was like sinus-clearing freshness, so herbal green it was almost sour, turned mentholated. Once that calmed down, this is a beautiful woods, slightly sweet from the hazelnut finally peeking through. Not at all Christmassy, which was my greatest fear. I would think fans of real, authentic forest/woods smells as well as stone-note fans will appreciate this. Very brisk, natural, and crisp. 

Definitely give this one a little time to settle on the skin - it has a very harsh cleaning fluid phase at the beginning. After that, this smells exactly like being by a river in a conifer forest during a sunny cold snap. The pine, hazelnut, and stone take center stage, though I can actually pick out every single listed note to some degree. Very well-balanced - an evergreen scent for people who don't like evergreen scents. Could work for any season, because it gives off both fall/winter crispness and spring/summer sunshine.

Lots of pine for this park ranger, backed by plenty of dried leaves, lichens, mosses, and sunny woodsiness. 

The sunny woodsiness of the blend reminds me most of Theoi Nomioi.

If I run out of other pine blends, I could definitely see this as a lovely and affordable alternative.

In the imp: A spicy-woodsy scent, fairly dry, with pine prominent but not conquering all it sees the way it sometimes does. I also thought I got a sort of musky, animalic note, but there's nothing listed that matches it. Maybe some unlisted musk, or maybe some combination of amber, mosses, and woods? It's a wonderful sort of fur-ruffling scent, whatever it is.

Wet: If I had to describe this scent in one word, it would be "organic." This is the scent of a damp forest floor, complete with leaf mast and decaying wood. It's very weirdly cozy, but not homey, if that makes any kind of sense - it's not a "fuzzy sweaters and baking bread" kind of scent, which is what usually makes me think "cozy," but it kind of wraps its arms around you and sinks into your skin. Maybe this is the hazelnut and/or amber talking? I had no idea what nooka is, so I looked it up, and according to Fragrantica, "Nootka, or Alaska cypress, is a cypress tree native to the coastal Northwest. The oil has a strong woody aromatic smell with hints of grapefruit and blackcurrant." While I'm definitely getting plenty of aromatic woods, I'm not getting any grapefruit or blackcurrant (which is a little odd, since blackcurrant is a listed note in its own right). Maybe they'll come out on the drydown?

Dry: The scent moves up from the forest floor, going from damp leaf mast and gently decaying wood to living tree trunks, complete with moss and lichen, and bars of sunlight slanting through the canopy. It's a beautiful gold-green-brown scent. After eight hours or so, it does a particularly graceful fade into a sort of musky amber, with that "organic" feeling still going strong.

The pine and blackcurrant notes in this reign for the longest time on me, although eventually the blackcurrant calms down and lets the forest become less fruity. Once that happens, I'm able smell some of the stone and moss, and it settles into a really lovely coniferous scent.

I'm sad that I amped the blackcurrant bud for so long, but I really like how this smells by the end of the day, so I'm going to set my imp aside and hope that I get less currant from this after it has had some time to age.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This smelled horrible on me at first! I guess it was the lichen, I'm not familiar with that note. But it smelled very stinky, like oud? I was so confused because I had heard comparisons to Brood X since these share some notes and I was hoping for it to smell similar to my bottle. But it doesn't.

Thankfully, that gross smell goes away in about 15 minutes, but even with it gone I'm still not a big fan of the scent. It's very sharp and woodsy, something that I wouldn't normally reach for. I was hoping for hazelnut and blackcurrant but I didn't get any of that. 

I hope this will be more wearable for me with some aging! Because I want to like more natural, foresty scents but the woods just smell so harsh to me.

Wet & in the imp: sharp, animalistic musk

Dry: More forest evergreen, quite dry, walking on pine needles but the muskiness in the background still and eventually the warm hazelnut appears very subtly

Pine, birch, whiff of eucalyptus, and musk. This smells like you've been rubbing yourself with pine sap. Medium throw and wear length.

In the imp this is not quite like any forest scent I've tried. It has a greenness but I think the stone is taking this out of familiar territory for me. It's very dark, like deep, deep in an old forest. I do get a eucalyptus edge to it. On my skin it lightens up a bit. I get pine, and the golden green I associate with birch and mosses. I still get a dark stone underneath the greens, and just a touch of warm, sweet amber and hazelnut. As it dries further I get some oak, and the amber disappears completely. Definitely a dark and stony forest on me, watch your footing! 

Holy moly! I don't usually like "green" scents but on me, this smells like a delicious salad at first application. A salad of; clean lettuce leaves, crunchy celery and a bitter kick of rocket!

Within the first 5 minutes of wearing, the lovely sweetness of the amber starts to release itself. The rocket-appearing scent turns to a lovely fresh pine (usually I HATE pine scents but not this time). As it goes to ten minutes on skin, it really does feel like the smell of the grass and trees in my local forest. 

Usually I get more excited for limited edition scents but this....THIS is one of my favourite general catalogue scents so far. I am sure to upgrade to a full bottle! 

I got this as a frimp and had to try it ahead of the actual bottles I'd ordered, because I'd forgotten this series existed and the name made me laugh.

Well, HELLO NEW FAVOURITE is all I can say. This is a warm, slightly musky, very natural woodsy scent that is just hitting all my buttons. Unlike some other reviewers, the pine for me is playing really nicely with everything else and not dominating the party. The amber gives it a hint of coziness, so it's a bit like striding through the sun-dappled woods in a soft warm sweater on a day with a chill in the air.

Lizardfolk Park Ranger went sideways on me.  Wet, I had the same experience as some other reviewers, a very sharp pine note with a mentho-lyptus vibe.  This calmed down pretty quickly and for a time I got the daylight in the woods vibe -- no blackcurrant or hazelnut, though.  And then?  Nag champa.  My skin chemistry turned this into hippie incense.  Strong, too, and long-lasting.  Not sure what's up with that. 

~~frimp review~~

this is a very very interesting scent. there's a lot going on at once and it's hard to describe. it smells vaguely nature-y, but too much happening at once to classify this as a real outdoorsy smell, just one trying to be a lot of places all at once. it's very pine forward (but Winter Landscape, Rime does it better) followed by a kind of minty (eucalyptus?) smell, while still being predominantly woody. I'm trying to pick out the scent notes but I'm having a hard time doing so. on fresh, it's minty and woodsy in an artificial way.

now dry, it smells nature-y in the same way, but nature-y in the way that a scented candle or speed sticks are. all I can really make out is the pine, bark, and some minty thing I guess that comes off rather masculine or cologne-like. it really just smells like a speed stick. super disappointed for what could've been. it's far from bad or gross, it's just very underwhelming and trying to be too much.