Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

Bugbear Doula

A nurturing blend of motherwort, angelica root, and warm russet fur splashed with chamomile tea.

Edited by Seajewel

This is much, much lighter than I anticipated. 

In the imp, it's almost lemony, which I imagine is the sage-like mugwort lightened by chamomile. 

Wet: This is like a crystalline hug. That tea note brings a clear, watery sense that feels so clean. It's sweet without being sweet sweet - not fruity or flowery or gourmand at all. Like a lemonbalm cough drop? 

On the dry down, the lemon transitions into more of an herbal spa smell. It has a lovely, rooty texture that's a cousin of orris without going powdery. I literally feel like I'm getting healthier just by sniffing this!

Sadly, I don't track the fur, but I'm sure it's contributing to my deep love of this scent. 

This is definitely comforting! I first tested this late in the evening and I kept sniffing my wrist every time I turned over in the night. I see myself leaning on this when I have a cold, cramps, or sadness. 

Edited by Estamets

I ordered imps of all the new RPG scents, and this was my favorite. It's so beautiful, it has the tea, maybe some of the comforting amber fur, a hint of sweetness, and amazing lasting power. It has a lot of similarities with the Ti Leaf & Champaca Petals duet to my nose. I liked that one too but love this even more. Could not stop wearing it for days in a row. 

Edited by Seajewel

I love this one's name, and also its blending. Soft, comforting white tea, chamomile, and other cozy herbs melt into ample fluffs of fuzzy amber fur. The notes all go beautifully together.

The tea and ambery fur are most prominent. The tea is light, airy, and only a little astringent; the fur reminds me more of a comfy, silky stuffed animal than a literal woods mammal. The herbs infuse the blend evenly, and I love them. 

I'm not a fur perfume person, but the amber, tea, and herbs are so nice together, I'm still tempted to bottle this one. 

I get the Lab's white tea/ti leaf note right out of the gate, and it dominates for a really long time, with touches of the angelica root and/or the motherwort (two notes I'm not able to identify, but something is lending an herbal quality to the scent that isn't the chamomile). After a while, the brown musk emerges ends up taking over, although the white tea note is still going strong behind it. By the end of the day, the chamomile cozies up to the brown musk, which just adds to its fuzzy feel. So it ends up being a chamomile-infused brown musk and white tea scent on me.

The presence of the white tea note in here was unexpected. I am glad it didn't end up being just that note on me, and I like where the scent ended up. I don't think I need a bottle, but I think I'll hold onto my imp for now. :) 

When wet its sharp and lemony, which is probably the motherwort? Very light and fresh.

Once dry, much more herbal and less lemony, and after about half an hour it smells like herbal kitten belly

Soft comforting white tea, chamomile, and a whiff of amber fur. This definitely smells comforting. Medium throw and wear length.

The combination of crisp white tea and warm musk is so interesting and comforting. It's light but has a good amount of throw. As it dries it gets warmer and muskier, with some herbal chamomile coming out.  

Bugbear Doula takes me somewhere really interesting. I started collecting BPAL this year and Ms Felicity "Furry" Bugbear is my favourite.

In the bottle: No! Clean scent...gahhh. Cleaning product. 

Wet on skin: Lemony floral bliss. I am the Lady of Shallot but in this story, I was kidnapped by my knight before I could escape my tower. 

Dry on skin: Lovely calming chamomile and lemon tea. I feel very maternal whilst wearing this. 

Dry on my favourite acrylic jumper: This. THIS! I feel like a different person; a girl who is girlier, prettier, more popular, more self-assured, and maybe even a particular girl who I used to have a secret crush on many years ago. 

This went aggressively powdery on me. Bitter powder, with a hint of lemon, like a well-kept secondhand boutique. Disappointing.

In the bottle it has a very medicinal, lemony scent to it. When i put it on my skin it smells more like chamomile tea with some warm spice, like allspice or nutmeg. After awhile i can pick up the warm fur mixed w/ the tea and a little hint of powder to it. Overall very clean and comforting scent. 

Wet: Clean, cozy, gleaming, and herbal.

Drydown: There's a vegetal, rooty aspect, but it's softened by a remarkably accurate fur note and a bit of a sweeter, almost-golden something, which I suspect is the chamomile tea (possibly with a drop of honey in it?). It smells like being hugged by a tea-pouring, herb-growing grandmother or auntie. There's a slight medicinal quality, but it's subtle. Very, very cozy. This is cottage-core, baby!

Dry: More of the same, but now with a lemony twist! Lovely, light, and full loving vibes, everybody needs a little Bugbear Doula in their life!

8.5 out of 10 bones

I nearly wrote this off when I first applied Bugbear Doula.  I was getting a slightly high-pitched lemony tea note, and I couldn't imagine ever really wearing it.  But over the next half hour, it softened into something cozy, with the fur note adding a hint of musk and something sweetening it (a drop of honey in that chamomile tea?).  It's not really what I would consider herbal, just golden and comforting. 

I'm not well versed in identifying most of the listed notes, but I don't that really matters here because this reads as sugared lemon tea! As it dries the lemon backs off and something warm and musky comes out (definitely the "russet fur" from the description), along with a cozy astringency from the chamomile tea. Not nearly as herbal as I was expecting - hardly herbal at all, in fact. 

It's like if Embalming Fluid and Cheshire Cat had a baby.

I don't get most of the listed notes, but this smells like a cup of hot, green tea, a splash of lemon, a spoonful of sugar, and tons of honey and cream.  Very much a warm, cozy, comfort scent.  Tea scents are usually too astringent for me, but this one has a really appealing sweetness and creaminess to it.