BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Thunder Moon 2021

The wind begun to rock the grass
With threatening tunes and low, –
He flung a menace at the earth,
A menace at the sky.
– Emily Dickinson

A crack of ozone splits the rolling, booming darkness: a starless sky of bruise-purple violet, 3-year aged black patchouli, black cashmere musk, oakmoss, black benzoin, rum, French labdanum, and vetiver slashed by a burst of white lychee and bergamot.

This one instantly went into my cart as it has many of my favorite notes -- violet, patchouli, black musk, labdanum, vetiver... I expected something darker. Instead I get a soapy white floral and none of the deep base notes I was hoping for. It almost feels like the batch wasn't mixed properly. I will let it age to see if it darkens up, or maybe I will try layering it with something heavy on the patchouli and vetiver. Curious about other people's impressions. I SO wanted to love this. 😢

I don't get any violet from this (a note I dislike and tend to amp). Instead, I get lychee, plum (like in other stormy scents like Crack of Thunder HG and Stormclouds Over the Midway), ozone, and what may be the black cashmere musk on a bed of resins. Sometimes I amp oakmoss, and although it is present, it's not a main player on me in this scent. The patchouli is also present, but not as strong as the other notes, and the vetiver isn't leaping out at me. It's mostly a fruity, ozonic, resinous incense blend on me.

I do not think that this is a scent that I would reach for, but it's made me want to try this white lychee note in another scent with fewer notes.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This was much nicer than I anticipated! I'm not a huge fan of ozone scents, but I was intrigued by the violet and patchouli.

It smelled very fruity on me, which I wasn't really expecting since the lychee seemed low on the notes. It was definitely the lychee that I smelled, but there was also sort of like a mix of grapes and plums? Best way I can describe it is that it matches the label: a very purple scent. Interesting.

Eventually those notes softened a bit and then I finally got the violet and patchouli I was looking for. It was still a very fruit heavy scent on me even as the other notes started to peak through. The only notes that didn't show up much were the ozone and oakmoss. Everything else, especially the benzoin and vetiver which I was a little worried about, didn't seem too strong.

Pretty good, definitely my favorite ozone scent as of yet. Was not expecting all that fruit so if your skin chemistry is similar to mine and you don't like plums I would avoid this.

I get a very green violet and hints of both plum and grapes, and it ends up coding as a resiny sort of cola because thank you benzoin, and dries down to a sort of green oakmoss benzoin and labdanum swampy resin. Medium throw and wear length.

ended up liking this waaaaaay more than I thought I would! Thunder Moon opens with a great big bolt of fruity ozone, the lychee taking this in an interesting direction.  The vetiver and rum take all these wild notes and "opens" them up, letting them hang out in a cloud of super clean ozone, with the patch and other darker notes struggling to hold on and show up at the bottom of this fruity-boozey-ozone cloud. Very fresh, fun and almost eye-opening - almost like a violet-tinted bolt of lightning against a plum dark sky.

As it dries, the darker notes kinda sorta show up, but not really. I was really hoping for the darker notes to take over and make this truly thunderous and crackling. idk if the darker notes will show up with age, but i'll test it again before the bottle comes down. i wanted patch and vetiver to be readable alongside the cashmere musk, but this stays fruity throughout its wear time.  Wear time is abt 4 hrs, and needs reapplication if you want this to be present throughout the day.

Had high hopes for this one based on the violet, cashmere musk, and oakmoss, but the lychee ended up kind of spoiling this scent for me. My skin amped it hard and it went sickly sweet, combining with the ozonic notes in a way that just made me think of menthol-cherry cough drops. After drydown, the fruitiness does settle a little bit and lets some of the softer musk and violet notes come out, but I still can't shake the ozone and fruit impression.

I slathered Thunder Moon on this morning without checking notes. It was obvious it was fruity; the overall vibe seemed like a plummy Event Horizon on me. My friend thought I smelled like incense in a metaphysical shop — she kept saying how good I smelled.  The violet was quiet, fortunately, though so were the patchouli and vetiver. It had good throw and wear length, which are rare on my skin

Had written a review in my head about this scent being the plum thunderstorm to Asleep in the Deep's plum ocean, but reading the notes again, there is no plum! Glad to see I wasn't the only one with that impression at least.

The lychee certainly strikes right at the beginning like a bolt of lightning, but seems to disappear just as quickly into the dark. Maybe it's working in cahoots with another note to smell like plum. Either way, bruise-purple is absolutely happening, in a murky inky slightly fruity way. I can't quite tell what all is going on in there between the labdanum oakmoss base and the volatile ozone on top, but it's a lovely storm.

It's like an incoherent jumble forming a very coherent whole, and I like it.