Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
BubbleDragon

How to remove scents from your skin

I find that another kind of oil is good for getting perfume oil off my skin when plain dishwashing soap doesn't work. We have coconut oil and olive oil in the kitchen, so I rub some of that on, then wash with dishwashing soap. It saves my skin from harsher things, like alcohol, when I am going through a new pile of impy loveliness!

I couldn't get the last remnants of the spicy baby powder smell off my hands at all last night. Then I cleaned up after the cats with Nature's Miracle.

And suddenly the baby powder was gone, as well.

Next time I have a "I need this off NOW" reaction, I'm reaching for the Nature's Miracle. *g*

:P

Now, they were out of that last time I was at the pet supply place so I bought some stuff called "Pee B Gone." But I wouldn't have thought to use it unless I had accidentally tried something with civet in it...

(For those like Velvetsky, perhaps, without the joy of pets pissing, and worse, in their homes, Nature's Miracle is an enzyme based cleaner that is designed to eliminate the odors of urine, vomit and feces! :D )

/end hijack

Oh, and Chupa, that's brilliant - I will have to try that next time. It makes such good sense, especially this time of year when we are all so dry and flaky to begin with.

These are all great suggestions. I'm like Tesseljoan, rubbing alcohol is the one thing that has consistently worked for me. But, I haven't tried all of these other things... don't have babies or oily skin, so no baby-wipes or astringent pads. The other oil tip sounds pretty interesting, I'll remember that next time I try a head-ache inducing or civet-including blend.

What I stumbled on recently was a good washing with soap and hot water, followed by an application of plain old hand sanitizer. After a few minutes, my skin just smells normal again. :P

Most of the usual methods have been related

Lemon juice works for me.

Smells are important though,and BPAL hard to delete.

You know, this is helpful information. After the Baron Samedi Incident (yes, it's capitalized because it was an important - if unpleasant - historical event :P ), I really needed to know how to get an oil off quick and alcohol just wasn't cutting it. I'm going to have to try the lemon juice and salt method next time I need to rid myself of am oil. :D

Alcohol, salt, lemon....

That just sounds like one step away from a night out at the bars!!!!! (change lemon to lime!)

:P

Anyway,

Question for scarlet:

Doesn't rubbing deoderent on it then make you really smell strongly of said deoderent? Or when you wash it off with water, does it take the BPAL too?

(editing cuz t does not = g)

Edited by LupaWulf

Anyway,

Question for scarlet:

Doesn't rubbing deoderent on it then make you really smell strongly of said deoderent?  Or when you wash it off with water, does it take the BPAL too?

(editing cuz t does not = g)

I have a stick of unscented deodorant for perfume emergencies. :D But if you use scented, you could just wash with soap after. I've never smelled my deodorant on me right after a shower. :P And yup, the BPAL leaves too because the deodorant took it off. Washing with Tide can work too if you don't want to slather deodorant on yourself.

Another thing that might be good to keep around is deodorant bar soap. Those suckers strip oil off the skin to take away as much odor as possible. Should work on perfume oil too, no?

personally, i would much rather drink lemon juice with salt and clean with rubbing alcohol.

you guys must have some really stubborn oil, 'cause i don't think i've ever had to resort to such drastic measures.

My sister is at a much higher speed than me and she has just been round and tested my BPAL collection for the first time. Within minutes, she had whipped open The Cheshire Cat and Imp, applied to both wrists, declared love and then rapidly hate: 'how do I get it off?!'

I quietly and calmly soaked a cotton pad in Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 and wiped both of her wrists. I felt like Florence Nightingale.

She went away with an imp of Snake Oil and Anne Bonny and the web address.

you guys must have some really stubborn oil, 'cause i don't think i've ever had to resort to such drastic measures.

I assume you've never had the pleasure of trying Cacao? :P Not BPAL, just damn stanky.

Ooh, yes, Baron Samedi was a stubborn little bugger, you can be sure of that. I could smell it for days afterward in spite of several hot showers and rubbing alcohol. And I only tried a tiny bit. :P

I've just discovered a BPAL scent that actually makes me feel sick (Vice) and I'm desperately trying to get rid of it, so this thread is really useful. I've scrubbed twice with Neal's Yard handwash and coated my wrists with rose-scented handcream. It sems to have overpowered the cherry scent of the Vice for the time being but I have half a lime left over from making Mojitos that might be put to good use soon...

Rubbing alcohol has never done a damn thing for me as far as removing perfume oil. In fact, the alcohol itself stinks. The lemon juice and salt always works for me.....a little scary though because if you have even a tiny break in your skin, ouch.

I don't think I've ever had to scrub like some of you have though.

personally, i would much rather drink lemon juice with salt and clean with rubbing alcohol.

Edited by VelvetSky

For a while I was using a cotton pad with alcohol, but the rubbing alcohol I have is mint-scented, so at times the fragrance would be just wretched.

Now, I just scrub lots with some oatmeal soap and add a dash of Bath & Body Works scented soap to smother the remnants of the oil. I've taken to trying on fragrances for the first time at night, when I'm not going out anywhere else in the evening and, many times, I shower in the evening as well, so it's not a major trauma.

-doreen

Soap & water usually work for me, except for this one case. A friend of mine asked me to take a whiff of Depraved, possibly the foulest concoction I have ever smelled. I got a little bit of the oil on my fingers when I popped the imp lid off. I washed my hands three times with soap & water, but I still couldn't get the smell off my fingers. Later that day, I took a shower, & the smell was gone. Finally. :P

I think it's the patchouli, that stuff wants to hang on forever.

What are the best methods for removing a scent if it just doesn't work for you or you want to change?

I've tried soap and water and that just doesn't get it all for me. Would alcohol work?

Mandy

I've found that Lush Coalface soap works very well at removing pretty stubborn perfumes, but there were two instances when even that didn't work. Depraved didn't come off after Coalface, a shower, more Coalface, and three scrubs with alcohol. I felt like I was rubbing my wrist raw, but I couldn't get the damn scent off my skin. The patchouli was hanging on for dear life!

I thought I'd thoroughly removed Khajurajo but Mr. CG caught a whiff of me and said I was giving him a headache. I gave another scrub with Coalface, but he said it was still there. I tried rubbing alcohol and that seemed to make it worse.

Next time I'll try the lemon and salt method (or maybe Lush Ocean Salt!).