Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
BubbleDragon

How to remove scents from your skin

Got a coffee pot at work?
Unfortunately, no access to a coffee pot. Ugh! But thank you so much for trying. I'm currently hiding in a corner. *lol*

Edited to add:

I had baby wipes in my car, for muddy dog feet. It worked!!! YAY!!! Thank you guys SO much for the help, and the link to the correct thread. That's what I was looking for when I searched. Whew!Back to work......

Edited by Seadreamer

Got a coffee pot at work?

Unfortunately, no access to a coffee pot. Ugh! But thank you so much for trying. I'm currently hiding in a corner. *lol*

:D Isn't that... illegal?! No coffee?! :P

It's lunchtime soon, right?... you can hide til then!

LOL!! I think there's a coffee pot upstairs, but I can't climb, on doctor's orders. I don't know if they actually use it, because I see a lot of people coming in with Starbucks cups. (I take my caffiene cold... aaaaaaah, Coke!)

Unfortunately the Snakeoil won again around lunch and I dashed home, scrubbed, and finally tried the deodorant trick. I STILL smell it, but it's bearable now. Wow! Strong stuff!

LOL!! I think there's a coffee pot upstairs, but I can't climb, on doctor's orders. I don't know if they actually use it, because I see a lot of people coming in with Starbucks cups. (I take my caffiene cold... aaaaaaah, Coke!)

Unfortunately the Snakeoil won again around lunch and I dashed home, scrubbed, and finally tried the deodorant trick. I STILL smell it, but it's bearable now. Wow! Strong stuff!

I don't know if you got to this part of the thread, but apparently using other oils works well (for when you get home again). So you could try olive oil or something.

I tried searching, but I didn't see a thread like this.

I just tried on Cockaigne and at first, it smelled delicious. Then it turned to sour baby formula and dog biscuits on me and started making me sick. And I can't get it off! I have scrubbed my wrists and hands three times now with soap and I can still smell it.

How do you guys get off a smell you really can not handle? I need this off of me immediately and I am at work so I can't really take a full shower or anything. I've tried rubbing with a papertowel too. Are there any things that counteract perfume? Rubbing alcohol or something? Nevermind, they put that in perfume, it wouldn't work. >> Is there something that might neutralize the scent though?

Any experience you guys have would be appreciated.

I'd give rubbing alcohol a shot. Yes, they put it in some perfumes.. but alcohols are good solvents, and will cut through oil.. hence, BPAL blends (as well as your natural skin oils, which is why alcohols are drying) You could also try some acetone (nail polish remover).

If you have a bottle of lemon juice around, try a squirt of that. Lemon juice breaks down most odors that won't leave no matter what (I use it after cutting onions to get rid of that, for example), and it usually has no problem breaking down BPAL oil. You might get a bit of citrus scent lingering on the skin, but I prefer that to rubbing alcohol.

Maybe coffee grounds...if you don't mind smelling like coffee, and can get some at work. Bleach will work but it's not that good for your skin and then, well, you'll smell like bleach :twisted: Good luck!

I can't remember where I heard this but someone mentioned baking soda? I haven't tried it though...I'm very curious as to what will get rid of the smell of the extra clingy vetiver notes!

Doh, thanks. I searched for scrub and remove, but not washing or removing. XD

And I'm going to run home (I live next door) and try some rubbing alcohol and lemon!

Edited by Nidaba

I've been having the problem of not only lingering scents (that don't mix well with each other) and dryness on my wrists. I've tried scrubbing and using citrus washes to little effect. But then I used Lush's Ultra Bland Cleanser and it takes the scent away and moisturizes! My wrists are happy campers again!

I will use whatever dish soap or hand soap isn't giving me a headache and combine that with baking soda and scrub gently. If there is still a scent left over, I will firmly wipe with alcohol and a cotton ball. But I try not to scrub too much because then my skin gets all irritated. If that doesn't take it off, I make sure I keep my wrists away from my head and often under a blanket until the headache goes away.

you know, I've never tried this with BPAL but for kitchen or food smells, coffee soap works wonders. It has to be made with real coffee grinds or instant, not just a coffee scent. I make one that has real coffee grinds brewed in the lye plus instant coffee into the oils, and no food/kitchen smell with stick when I use that.

I second the oil, in chem classes you're always taught like dissolves like. I use a mild scented oil like almond oil to really rub into the skin (I get a nice lil massage that way too), then wipe it away with a baby wipe. I've heard the deodorant trick works, but the only deo's I have are pretty scented themselves so I don't usually do that one.

I've tried just about everything to get unwanted scents off my skin, most of them don't work for me but St.Ives makeup remover took off some really nasty floral scent. One time I used this thing called Fresh Fingers, its a flat piece of metal that you rub on your skin and it's supposed to get rid of fish, onion, and garlic smells. It did the trick but my skin dried out after using it.

I live on Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild for long testing sessions. It works really well on most scents, but if I really get a clinger (like Mme Moriarity) I end up using the Lavender Doc Bronner's. I've always heard that lavender has it's own cleansing properties, and I'd buy it.

I have a neutrogena fragrance-free bar soap I use on my face. Just a couple of good scrubbings with that and the smell disappears to my nose.

I have yet to meet an oil that PalmOlive Free and Clear Spring Fresh dishsoap will not remove and replace with a very light apple-blossom smell... that stuff is the bomb dot com!

Either Dr Bronner's Baby Mild, or Blüm towelettes for normal to oily skin. I like the towelettes for testing because they do a good job with everything but the most tenacious scents - I can actually smell the perfume in the towelette and the mild aquatic towelette fragrance on my skin.

Like everybody, I get the ones you can't stand and can't get off, and I resort to a couple rounds of dish/hand soap, pref Dawn antibacterial apple blossom, and some cursing and swearing. :rantrave:

ETA I have no idea where to get the Blüm towelettes - I found them at an outlet market.

Edited by dragonsidhe

Original Source lemon tea tree shower gel is amazing to wash stuff off with, and I'll second the baby wipes for quick removal, rather than complete-like when you put something on and instantly go arrrghhhh...nooooo, then you just swipe it of with a wipe! You may need to wash afterwards still.

I also try not to put on much of a new scent in case it turns on me.

In reference to using other oils to help wipe off the unwanted scent, would jojoba oil work? I mean, it isn't really an oil, so I was curious if it shares enough characteristics of an oil that it would still work.

Also when people mention using baking soda, how would you do that? Just sprinkle it on the offending area of skin, or mix it with something, or...?

Sorry if this seems blasphemous.

So, I've been trying imps for the last few days and I put one on that is just...not a winner. When I get a whiff of it, it's kind of making me queasy.

Tips for getting it off? I've tried dish soap and baking soda. I'm about to put rubbing alchohol(sp?) on it, and if that doesn't work, some Bronners.

So, I've been trying imps for the last few days and I put one on that is just...not a winner. When I get a whiff of it, it's kind of making me queasy.

Tips for getting it off? I've tried dish soap and baking soda. I'm about to put rubbing alchohol(sp?) on it, and if that doesn't work, some Bronners.

I honestly don't think i've ever had an oil survive a nice hot shower. Any chance it got onto the clothing you're wearing of in your hair? Either of those thing will hold the scent until they're washed.

I honestly don't think i've ever had an oil survive a nice hot shower. Any chance it got onto the clothing you're wearing of in your hair? Either of those thing will hold the scent until they're washed.

I'm wearing a tanktop. I even made chicken soup and none of those smells are counteracting it. At the moment, I can't take a shower because my toddler would probably pitch a fit.

Alchohol...rescue me....