Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Lilac Wood 2021

On the wand and on my skin, this comes out as potent lilac, some green grass, and a little whiff of... blue musk? Bluebell flowers? Blue evening breezes and shadows.

On me, this is mostly about the lilac from start to finish, but I enjoy the evening vibe surrounding that.

Soft, potent lilac. Breeze, lilac, and a whiff of wood. Ethereal. Medium throw but great wear length.

I deathmatched an aged original imp of this from the Lab with a decant of the new version.

I have to say... I prefer the new one! It's not really a fair comparison, since the original imp is aged, but the lilac in the original version isn't as strong as it is in the new one, and the green leaves of the trees in the original are far more prominent (and slightly peppery) on me. The new version is a lot stronger on the lilac and is way more purple to me. I don't get the greenery that I do from the original version, and I'm unable to pick out any note representing shadows or fireflies.

Of course, the new one might end up being more like the original with age, and imps age differently than bottles, but I don't think anyone wanting a strong lilac perfume can go wrong with this one. I think I'll hang onto my decant of the new version, but I don't need a bottle since I don't wear lilac scents very often.

This scent is soft, lovely, and wistful. To me, it really brings the overall feeling of The Last Unicorn to life - poignant and sad. I can't tell you if it smells like lilac as I haven't ever really had the chance to give a lilac a good sniff, but it is pale florals and green - perhaps some white musk in there, too. I think I'll keep it.

This was everything I hoped for and more. It's like a lilac version of Chaste Moon 2010, with Chaste Moon's crystalline iridescence of blues and pinks, and while the lilac's definitely there, it doesn't punch you in the face like Salt Phoenix does (which is also lovely, but also stronger), and it's also not WOW FLORALS like Hotaru no Yu. This version of The Lilac Wood is a quiet shimmery iridescent purple. 

It does dry down to powder on my skin, but I don't mind that. If you like lilac, I think it's worth trying! 

In the decant this is very crisp, and clean. But not soapy. It keeps this effect on the skin but it softens under the lilac. There's other elements here that I can't quite nail down. It's a soft ethereal floral, with a soft green element as well. It's an otherwordly meadow.

Lilac. Lilac for days.  But not the bright, green, sun-blasted heady dream of lilac I was hoping for. Oh no, I get old lady lilac WTF?!?!? Are you 🤬 kidding me?!?! Well, this is a total heart breaker 💔.  I nearly blind-bottled this, and OH BOY did i dodge a bullet. Within 30 min, this is the most generic, blah fancy soapy/old lady lilac scent on me. Barely a whisper, and far from magical. Ugh, i cry.

Now i want to test an imp of the OG scent to see if the grass I so desperately wanted is there, and plays better with the lilac. Lilac is one of the only florals I love without hesitation and I'm bummed my skin chem spoiled this for me.

wow this is a straight up exact replica of Johnson & Johnson's original baby soap on me. it's a good childhood scent memory but still not one I would wear choose to wear day in day out, especially since the soap is still in the market and i can buy it anytime i want :(  it dries down a pretty basic perfumey lilac. 

worn and tested several times over a month, with no change. i'm hoping desperately it can mature into something more but it's looking like a no for me. a really disappointing blind bottle. will edit if anything changes down the road  

There are so many *perfect* scents in this collection, but every time I sniff the uncanny geography of The Lilac Wood I think, ah, this, THIS is the one! Green sap and misty grass, peaceful, delicate moss, emerald ferns, and the wistful dreams of flowers in a patch of shade underneath the old ash tree with the lightning-riven trunk