Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

The Triple Crown

A glittering diadem of golden amber suffused with crushed greenery, stone accord, and brown musk, elemi, rice milk, and vanilla bean, storax, patchouli, and vetiver, frankincense, Mysore sandalwood, and myrrh.

WOW there are a whole lot of resins listed here, along with some traditionally sweeter notes that really called to me. I gleefully blind bottled. 

Fresh on the skin, I'm scared. This is all cardamom. The greenest cardamom that ever got carded. I want off this ride. It's making the crushed greenery extra greeny, although this is not screaming oakmoss at me. Behind it, the amber doesn't have much of a chance, because it is a very soft glow in the razzle-dazzle of green cardamom and mosses. I think I can pick up a fuzzy element that is probably the brown musk/rice milk/vanilla bean kind of swirling with the amber to be a little sweet, but still. GREEN. The resins don't really pop for me at all for the first hour or two.

Later, this dries down to the PRETTIEST vetiver that has me swooning. It takes a good few hours for the cardamom to burn off. I'm dying, but I survive, and I want this vetiver stage so much earlier. It's gorgeous. 

The elemi with all the sweeter notes is reminding me a little bit of Please Scream Inside Your Heart, so in case that one was a winner for you, maybe try The Triple Crown.

I think this will morph hard in the next few weeks of aging, so for now, I'm keeping my bottle to see what it turns into. It's an exciting ride for sure.

The Triple Crown starts off strong on the crushed greenery, which remains a main player on me for a while, with touches of stone and patchouli. Over time, my skin brings out the grassy vetiver, and it's the same one found in scents like The Earth Mother and Two Sheep and Two Goats Resting In a Field (so... not the BBQ variety). By the end of the day, it's grassy vetiver dominant, with a swirl of the crushed greenery, stone, and resins lingering in the background. I feel like my skin normally runs away with brown musk, but I really have to hunt for it in this scent.

I will be retesting this one in a few weeks to see if that helps bring some of the other notes out (rice milk and vanilla bean, where art thou?). I was really hoping for more stone, but I'm glad it's at least noticeable, even if it's not a main player. But if you're fond of that grassy vetiver note, or have been seeking it out, I recommend giving this one a try.

Amber, stone, vanilla, mysore sandalwood and just deliciousness. This is epically beautiful, and I think I need a bottle. For those worried about the cardamom, yes its sort of there but not really? I am getting other notes.  This so so good.

Medium throw and wear length.

Cardamom isn’t listed as a note so I’m thinking it’s a combination of some of the other notes that people are thinking smells like cardamom. 

I get earthy and sweet but have a really hard time smelling specific notes coming through. I love almost everything listed in the description but this blend is very mild so far. I am curious to see how it strengths or changes over time. I’m definitely holding on to it. It may be a nice scent for bedtime also.

Glowing, earthy stones covered in moss and ivy. Smelling it feels like a spicy hug (i'm not getting any cardamom others are mentioning and think it is the brown musk). It radiates warmth up front,  but sweet creamy notes keep it smooth. Its beautiful and yummy, deep and dark without being a gourmand. Warm, musky yet sweet and sexy, this is perfect for anyone who wants a fantastic and rich fragrance. I will be grabbing a bottle for my conscious, sub-conscious and super-conscious. 

I’m in love with the poetry of threesomes in this blend: green + white/grey + brown. Three threesomes bookended by golden amber and a sacred trio. Brilliant. 

I can see how folks get cardamom- I think it’s the greens: vetiver, elemi, and whatever “crushed greenery” is. It’s similar to green cardamom, but brighter and a little more lemony on the dry down. 

That green herbal note is perfectly balanced by the warm brown and cool grey/white notes. it’s fresh and bright, but also cozy and inviting, but also elegant and elevated. 

This is so beautiful, and I think I’ll like it even better after some aging when the green calms down and the vanilla develops. 

ETA: I applied this after dinner last night. This morning, my wrist smells faintly of a sweet greenness that is still lovely, with a hint of resiny tingle. It didn’t go soapy or funky in any way whatsoever. 

This has been a skin scent the whole time. 

Edited by Estamets

Possibly this needs to settle much longer, or maybe it's just that chemistry will be chemistry, but Triple Crown is coming out like a singed wool sweater on my skin -- both when first tested and retested. 

It's kind of... singed cardamom, dried greenery, and dusty old wool.

It's not very pretty and yeah, I have no idea either. 🤷‍♀️

This one is quite the morpher on me.  I have a zillion ambers but the combo listed on this one was too good to pass up.  In the bottle:  Getting a bit of amber immediately followed by a blast of fresh greenery mixed with a brown almost furry musk, and a hint of sweet spices.  On, wet:  All of the separate elements are kind of dancing around near my skin; also getting a bit more of a cardamom/cinnamon note.  Vetiver note dries down a bit from fresh green to powdery green.  Long, complex drydown on this one; after several hours I'm left with a resiny, dry, spicy sort of thing that is still really complex that stays close to the skin.  Very odd in that none of the normally "heavy" notes in this one (looking at you patch, sandalwood, and frankincense) are major players; this is really a mosaic.

Let me add....lazy weekend, today I really wanted to make those resins wake up a bit more, so layered with my Pumpkin Spice Chaos Theory HG (bottle #7) from a few years ago.  Super interesting and it really woke up the sandalwood and musk in this one!  

The Triple Crown didn't start off particularly promising on me.  It was almost harsh stone and crushed greenery.  I didn't get any of the gourmand notes or soft brown musk.  But the drydown is gorgeous.  The storax (liquidambar) comes through, and a little of the patch and frank and sandalwood, and ultimately after a few hours the whole thing is hijacked by a grassy vetiver that I love.  It's perfect for the triple crown idea -- stone, greenery, resins.  Memorable and unusual -- I can't think of anything else quite like this one 

In the decant: Is complexly resiny a thing? I came up with that description in my head before checking the note list. Now I've done it, I think "complexly resiny" is absolutely a thing. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's less exciting, amber with greens through it. As it dries, there is something in there that I would call "peppery" that is what I assume others are reading as cardamom. It's not distinctly cardamom on me, but it's close enough for me to infer that this is the same thing happening on me. 

As it develops, I do get some amber and some grassy vetiver. But the peppery cardamom thing... it stays. Personally, I like it. 

I'm going to leave it overnight and see what happens. I really like this cardamom-pepper thing, but I don't always love smelling like vetiver. 

Edit: Seven hours later, and it's faded to just amber on me. If did get a vetiver-forward iteration of this blend, it happened while I was asleep, which is just as well as amber is nice, and the cardamom-pepper is, as far as I am concerned, an unexpected but delightful surprise. 

Edited by torischroeder9

The golden amber, brown musk and sandalwood give off this warm, dry, powdery-musky scent that I'm not loving, and it kind of reminds me of some "cozy sweater" type blends that I've tried.  I like the hints of sweet, resinous, dark myrrh and touch of herbal, green scent, but together everything smells a bit muddled and perfumey/powdery.