Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Vetiver & Black Pepper

Capricorn 2004, is that you?

Okay, so for me this is a very smoky spicy vetiver on wet (with a slight curdle of bacon) but then it dries down to this magnetically gorgeous resin with hints of grapefruit and if I squint a bit it really does resemble Capricorn 2004, which is one of my OG loves in the sense that for some wild ass reason becomes this smooth wood with a tinge of grapefruit. It does go through a slight brown leather stage between wet and dry, which I am not going to hold against it only because I effing love the drydown. Low throw, but good wear length.

Win, 10/10, will be buying more.

Sometimes, it is just what it sounds like.

Freshly applied, I get a leathery, woody vetiver, wreathed in dark smoke.

The black pepper peeps out pretty early in the life of the blend. The vetiver has complex notes of its own, but the black pepper is black pepper.

The leathery aspect fades. Smoky, woody vetiver spiced with black pepper.

Very sharp when fresh. The vetiver I get is more grassy, as it dries I get more of a smoke dimension but I think the green is still dominant. The black pepper is detectable, but strongest early and I'd probably consider it a complementary note. Overall, the impression is smokey, kicky, and grass-like. I do like it - it reminds me of the sort of scent you'd get in a ~natural~ deodorant or bath product. Feels like some sort of low-level forest fae, the sort that offers you a deal you absolutely shouldn't take.

Woah! That is some black pepper! The note is strong, and it's doing a good job of balancing the sharp woodiness of the vetiver.

After 15 minutes or so, the pepper is mostly gone, leaving a warm, slightly acrid, vetiver. I actually liked it with the pepper more, but if vetiver doesn't go bitter on you, you'll probably like this.

I bought this for my partner for the holidays, but just now tried it on myself. When I first apply I get very strong vetiver notes. As it dries down the vetiver is still very present, but the warming notes of black pepper come through. After a few hours of wear, it’s soft and smokey with a touch of leather and a whisper of the black pepper and vetiver. This is so soooo good. I can imagine it would layer really nicely with a lot of other blends. And I think it would suit a multitude of people!