Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

The Goat's Scapula

This is an oil of discipline, duty, and perseverance during hardship. It is an oil of fierce independence, practicality, and gravity. This is an oil that sublimates irrational emotion in favor of cold logic. Use the Goat’s Scapula to increase patience, particularly during negotiations and to understand the mysteries of time and the passage of time.

Balm of Gilead buds and absolute (Populus nigra), patchouli essential oil and patchouli root from the TAL garden (Pogostemon cablin), hyssop essential oil and leaf from the TAL garden (Hyssopus officinalis), vetiver essential oil (Vetiveria zizanioides), American hemlock (Tsuga canadensis), tobacco absolute (Nicotiana tabacum L, alcohol extraction of the concrete of the cured leaves), tobacco tree flowers from the TAL garden (Nicotiana glauca), wild-cultivated Huichol tobacco leaf (Nicotiana langsdorfii), black vegetal musk, and ethically sourced goat bone. DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. This oil is not vegan. No goats were harmed in the creation of this oil.

This oil is unexpectedly gorgeous and comforting, given the ritual applications described.

Wet in the bottle, the hyssop dominates, with a potent, medicinal smell, which likely delayed my testing of this.

Wet on the skin, however, the tobacco moves to the foreground - but does not overpower. The hyssop becomes much softer and mingles with a light, fresh floral for a pleasing top note, and there is a subtle resinous sweetness as well, I assume from the balm of gilead. I can't pick out the hemlock, patchouli or vetiver specifically, but this phase is giving a lush, finely crafted perfume with a decent amount of throw.

After a full drydown, the scent clings close to the skin. The tobacco note recedes, and a grassy and ever so slightly musty/vegetal scent emerges alongside the faded floral. The mysteries and passage of time, indeed!

No bones or other bits apparent in the vial I received, but many thanks to the goat for their contribution ♥️🐐

ETA: I had a completely different experience of this blend yesterday, where it was absolutely creating an earthy, herbal patchouli aroma. It's not a funky patchouli, and in conjunction with the tobacco notes it has a great deal of throw. Very grounding and pleasantly matter-of-fact.

Edited by LavenderCoffee