Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Cacao, Elemi & White Musk

No additional scent description.

How did I miss creating this review thread?

Its basically a musky cacao with a touch of icy elemi. Medium throw and wear length.

I knew this was likely to be an odd combination of notes, but I really like white musk and elemi, so I decided to go for it. The best way I can describe the initial drydown stages of this scent is...dryer sheets dusted with cocoa powder. Later on the cacao fades and I get just a fresh white musk and elemi blend. An odd experience, but I'm glad I gave a decant a try.

This reminds me a lot of the general catalogue blend Velvet. That one was milk chocolate and myrrh, while this one's cocoa with elemi and white musk. I can't pinpoint the elemi though.

Wow. I am officially proclaiming, this one needs more love and reviews. The notes are a weird combo and they make for a weird scent, but I love it. I ended up upgrading to a full bottle.

The chocolate in this smells more like white chocolate or cacao butter to me. It smells creamy. The white musk, which can sometimes go screechy or a bit "laundry" on me, is well-mannered here and blends with the elemi, creating a gauzy, effervescent veil over the chocolate. The overall effect is what I think of as "the ghost of chocolate," a pale, dry, chocolate musk that doesn't come off as foody and smells surprisingly lux. 

I'm a fan of chocolate notes, but prefer them to be less edible smelling. This is a great addition to my collection and smells like nothing else I have.  Weird and a winner.  :heart: 

Edited by VetchVesper

In the the decant, all I smell is a barky cacao.
Wet: The cacao stays, but stops being so barky & smoothes out so nicely. The elemi rolls in with it & gives it a really nice light fennel scent (it's not really that, but it's the best approximation I've got for how elemi smells on me... sometimes it leans to a peppery, but not this time).

Drydown: About 10 minutes in & I've decided this is the best of the cacao ones. All three elements are rolling in now & are blended really nicely. They are each working really well on my skin too.

About an hour in & they haven't changed a lot, except that the white musk is a bit more centre stage than the others. Cacao is right behind it, but slowly fading. It reads like a "high end perfume" ideal. This would be something another brand would try to pull off as one of their pillars + chocolate & then market it for Valentines.

It stays that way all the way through till it's gone. 

Lasted around 5 hours? Lower throw & very little sillage.

Final thoughts? Turned rather high end perfume on me. It reminded me A LOT of Media (I tested them side by side later & they are similar in a few ways, with Media suggesting the same idea as what this turned into for me). It's not something I plan to get, but it's pretty.