Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Osmanthus & Agarwood

Just received in the mail, and definitely not rested, but I couldn't help myself!

Wet, this is very green and bright. The osmanthus is more citrusy than I'm used to, but I really like it. It feels very singular at this stage. 

As it dries, it stays tart and bright, but it does feel like a bit more woody, with more depth and body. Just a hint though. To be honest, I'm really glad it isn't oud-ier, since I can get that stanky, poopy smell sometimes, and I think this is a good limit. We'll see how it goes as it ages, but if the oud does come out I will be interested to see how my skin takes it, this osmanthus is quite a fighter in comparison.

I only did some light dabs to try this out, so I can't tell if this just normally wears close to the skin or if I wasn't generous enough. But I keep huffing myself and it is a mood booster!

In general, this is a very simple but interesting scent. It's great for hot days when you want something but can't worry about it fading or doing anything funny as you go about your day.  

The osmanthus is the main thing I get in the decant and on wet. A bright fruity floral, almost apricot-y. Dry I can find the oud but it isn't a loud one. It's very smooth and adds a lot of depth to the scent. I really like this as I feel osmanthus doesn't often take center stage, it's a cheerful scent with a bit of body.

I got this because I wanted to smell osmanthus more isolated than it usually appears, and this one delivers on that.

The flower reads to me like a mix of mimosa, orchid, apricot, mango, and citrus: full, sunny, and fruity. 

I don't notice other notes.

For those of you that were afraid of the agarwood, I would say that it isn't present. I get mainly osmanthus, which to me smells like a fruity sweet floral. There's a note of woodiness, which should be a sigh of relief for those of you that were worried about the oudh, which sort of grounds the floral. Moderate throw and wear length.

I wanted this so I could have a better idea of what these notes are like. The osmanthus is very in-your-face at first with a blast of sweet, spiciness, like a strong black tea? The agarwood (oud) has a greenness, a wateriness to it.  Not poopy! Lol. After 30 seconds the osmanthus disappears completely. I’ll have to swap this one because I have no idea where that osmanthus went!

Light fruity floral, I agree there's a hint of apricot, with a sheer wood backdrop.  I had a very brief peep of something spicy like clove.  I did want more of an incense note, I think of agarwood as an incensey wood.  Still, this smells good.  It's very light.  Would be a good scent if you just want to smell yourself and there's a chance someone else around you might be sensitive.  Can't imagine anyone being offended by it.  There are definitely times I wear bpal just for myself.

Edit: I wrote my review too soon, this does smoothly transition to something more incensey after a while.  Still very light.  The fruity part receded more into the background.

Edited by forspecial_plate