Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Orange Blossom & Driftwood

I blindly ordered a bottle because I love orange blossom more than anything. This one does not work for me in its wet stage - there's something off to my nose and I swear it reminded me of bug spray. I decided to test with a toothpick, and again, the scent on the toothpick was not for me, nor was the wet version on my skin.

The dry version, however, holy crap. This is a super sexy, and I would say masculine leaning or friendly scent - but I'm keeping mine because it's the kind of perfume that would work for men, women, or gender neutral individuals. There is nothing girly about this on my skin, and it is gorgeous. On the toothpick, the dry version is closer to a fancy men's cologne. On my skin, it's deeper and dead sexy. Musks, especially white musks tend to sing on my skin and I think that's happening here. There's a sparkly, glittery quality to it. It reminds me a little of Wilde from the general catalog, like a cousin of it maybe. 

In the bottle I get a very salty orange blossom. Deep aquatic salty. On my skin it is a beautiful salty ocean breeze scent with the orange blossom beautiful intertwined. It's headiness makes it humid and tropical without the typical sweetness/fruitiness of tropical scents. As it sits I get more and more orange blossom. It just screams beach on me and I love it. I agree that it's very sexy. It has a sort of wild, carefree thing going on. Very strong throw on me. 

Edited by roseus

This starts in a weird, cologney place -- there's bittersweet orange blossom, but it goes through a brief sour period. It improves fast after drydown, and the driftwood notes become dominant. The post-drydown stage is a very "beach" scent, not in the sense of suntan lotion, but in the sense of salt and warm sand. Agreed that it's evocative of warmth and humidity without smelling fruity or stereotypically "tropical."

Clean, slightly cologney soap. A hint of the same salty air I get out of Calico Jack, but I think I may have to give up on oceanic scents ;-;  they just do not want to give me what I want from them. Orange blossom usually sings on me, and it isn't even coming through here.

Much more the driftwood than the orange flower on me, this one is mostly salt and parched wood. The citrus sweetens the blend with a little levity and the warmth of spring.

I liked this, but it was too salty, and then gone from my skin in 10 minutes.

Orange blossom, wood and a note of motor oil? I swear, this one is a morpher. It stars off as orange blossom, and stays that way but brings in both wood and a slightly musk on it and ends up being more gender neutral-masculine than I expected. Medium throw and wear length.

In the decant: Salty aquatic first, followed by sweet orange blossom. I like woods but not so much aquatics, so the first sniff was enough to make me wary. But it got  better. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's immediately super salty aquatic again. As it dries, the orange blossom amps the aquatic, so it's basically now really strong Irish Spring. (I will here also admit that I've never associated driftwood with saltwater specifically, so the degree of salt over wood in this blend is surprising me.) Gradually, the orange blossom does make its individual presence known, as its own note rather than just an amping vehicle for the driftwood (of which I still get precious little wood). 

Ope, but no. Orange blossom, a note I typically amp, is overtaken by salt air. 

Eventually, the salt does seem to fade back for good, still present but allowing the orange blossom and finally wood to come through. However, this is more than two hours after application, and I don't know if I can take that much aquatic every time I wear it. 

Clean, slightly fruity, a little salty and beachy (but not the Lab's famous "corn chip" salt note).  Over time there is more orange blossom coming forward. This conjures up a very specific memory for me, it reminds me of the smell of gay men in 1992, when I turned 21 and started going to my first gay bar, The Dock in Cincinnati.  I loved the newish cologne some of them wore and found out it was Eternity, and bought a bottle right away.  This isn't an exact dupe but it's close enough that it takes me right back to that time and place, and it's such a nice memory, I'm grateful for it.  Not much of a morpher on my skin.  I'll be wearing this in the summer and thinking of drunken sweaty nights on the dance floor.

Definitely a salty aquatic. Although I don’t tend to go for aquatics, I loooove this one. It weirdly reminds me of Clinique happy, but don’t let that throw you off... it’s a much better version. Super long lasting on me :) 

I don't think that this one is playing nice with my skin chemistry. It smells like still sodden driftwood, just washed up and not dried and sun bleached yet. The orange blossom is almost fully overwhelmed by soggy salty wood.