Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Black Amber & Sugar Cane

This arrived yesterday and I’m already in love. Do you like Amber? Do you like sugars that aren’t overly sweet? Then you need this. It’s a heavenly rich Amber (almost Lace-like) sweetened but not overpowered by the sugar cane. It reminds me of Amber & Lace or Amber & Cardamom; almost a companion piece to them. I absolutely love this. 

I am a huge fan of "fossilized" amber aka petrified tree sap aka some folks like to argue it's not actually petrified. Regardless. It has a particular sweet, resin-y scent that I find blends incredibly well with sharper rooty and earthy scents (like vetiver or patchouli). I never would've thought to pair it with sugar cane, but my ears pricked up when I saw that this was the duo presented, and it's really pretty great. On me, the amber is definitely the bolder component, but I was kind of expecting that, because what I like the most about the sugar cane note as opposed to white sugar, is that it stays put- it doesn't amp and overpower everything around it, which is why I sadly can't wear sugar-heavy scents typically (Sugar Skull, I'm looking at you!). The cane has this subtle, almost lemony edge to it and here that edge cuts through the sweet aspect of the rich amber, making it a sultry scent that's still great for summer evenings. And with the magic that is black amber, I suspect this will only get better with age. ❤️ 

Rich, round, sultry dark amber with a lovely sugary edge. 

Gorgeous amber, though perfumey. I'm really all about the sugar. I want to hug it.

Amber rules this space, though. This is one for the amber lovers and the sugar-friendly.

Sugary amber. This is mainly an amber dominant blend on me. I can see this being wildly popular. Medium throw and wear length.

This features the same cuddly black amber from scents like Mars Ultor and Sir Thomas Sharpe, but it's sugared. The sugar cane smells almost bubblegum-like to me in the bottle, but fortunately doesn't go that route on my skin. It's also not the lemony kind of sugar that the Lab sometimes uses, if that's a concern. It's just this wonderful, sugary cuddly amber that would be great on its own or for layering with other scents. I'll be keeping my bottle, and I can't wait to try layering it with some lavender absolute. :dance: 

Edited by doomsday_disco

Another wonderful duet and one that I will be reaching for a lot once the weather cools off again.  It's a little powdery and warm, has a bit of that dark cola scent to it (that I usually get from sweet myrrh), and it's a lot of toasty, warm amber.  The yeasty, toasty and slightly spicy aspects of the amber come out more in the drydown, mixing with the sugar.  It reminds me of those cake-like donuts with a little spice in them that are rolled in a layer of crunchy sugar.  After a half hour of wear, I smell very much like a donut shop full of warm, sugary baked goods.  I own a ton of amber scents, but this still manages to be very unique, even though it's so simple.  Fall donuts vibes.

Wet, this is stronger on the sugar note, and it's the same sugar as in Gypsy Moth from like 2010, very powder sugar like. Dry, the amber blooms, and this becomes very amber forward and it's a rich, deep amber, the sugar receding as a minor player. This is probably my favorite amber scent, as I love amber straight up, and this reminds me strongly of a amber scent necklace I have. Gorgeous in it's simplicity, I can see myself wearing this alone, or layering with scents like Great Vampire Bat, and Playful Wooden Mallets. My only regret is I only got one bottle. But I'm going to treasure it!

By coincidence, I accidentally layered this with Blackberry and Burnt Sugar the other day when I was testing straight out of the box, and they were great together.

In the decant: Amber that is rich and sweet while still being clean and simple. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's immediately the beautifully soft, powdery amber that I love. It's slightly sweet but not overly so. I wouldn't guess sugar cane was a note if it wasn't listed. 

This is probably the nicest really amber-forward perfume I've tried. 

Had to search high and low before I was able to get a partial of this. What a dolt I am for not having snapped it up when it was live. You know what this reminds me of? Part of the gorgeous appeal of Snake Charmer. Nowhere near as complex and doesn't contain many of the needed elements but it's a whiff in common and I love it. 

a lovely resiny type amber, suffused with a bright-edged sweetness.  reminds me a little of silkybat, but with amber instead of patchouli. stays very close to the skin for me, very little throw.