Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Frog Moon 2021

Named for the awakening of frogs after a long winter, this scent is a springtime chorus of trills and croaks celebrating the beginning of our own slow emergence from the pandemic hibernaculum. A pattering deluge of refreshing, enlivening, bright green notes: green tea, wet green musk, pine moss, fresh patchouli leaf, bamboo leaf, tulsi, pond grasses, and a pinch of wasabi

what an honor to be the first hehe

Straight from the mail/warm bottle... I’m confused, intrigued, perplexed. It’s first a fluorescent green sludge. I believe that’s the bamboo, wasabi, tulsi (basil), and wet green musk. There’s an aquatic almost headiness to it.

It’s been a few hours later and that’s stepped aside where i can smell the pine and patchouli and now i can pull apart the minty almost anise basil. It’s definitely more pleasant than before hehe.

It’s called down on my skin and it’s still refreshing but more clean than when i got my 1st whiff. It has a cool and comforting feel to it

it’s very fresh and clean after its settled down for a month. Very smooth but with that initial burst of pond scum haha. Truly a lovely fragrance 🐸💚

Edited by Max

Ahh. BPAL's luring me back once again with my love of frogs and green musk.

First applied, this is a bright, lemony spring green. I can certainly smell bamboo and all the other stuff too. It gives the scent a deeper cologny edge and doesn't let the green musk turn to drier sheets...at least so far.

Super refreshing, aquatic and a little foresty. This is a green musk holy grail so far.

Bright, grassy spring green tea with bamboo. And then it dries with a touch of drier patchouli, and musk. Medium throw and wear length.

This is a super wet, lush green. Even though there's no lemon or lime listed, the wasabi seems to fill the role of a citrus by adding something sharp and a little spicy. Initially the blend leans heavily on green tea and bamboo. This definitely a bright froggy green and I love it. If you're familiar with the Enkindled Spring, this blend will be a familiar feel but a much richer, less effervescent green. 

When this dries on my skin, it gets heckin' DRY. The patchouli and moss definitely amp up the dryness of the wasabi, but they stay in balance and I don't get the patchouli blast that sometimes happens on my skin. My favorite part of this blend has to be the tulsi. It adds lovely depth and richness to the drydown. A+ greens.

In the bottle this is a lush, juicy green. There's some woodier notes mixed in and a bit of spicy wasabi for complexity. On my skin it's much the same, perhaps a bit smoother. I can pick out the bamboo and wasabi. Very grassy but complex still. Wasabi gives it a very interesting green-spice. Very unique as a green scent, fresh and rich. 

Bright, mossy-green bamboo musk. The green is bright, but not strong -- the sillage is fairly close to the skin. I think this must share some notes with Emerald Lace; I'm reminded of the greenness in that one, but this almost leans aquatic rather than having EL's vanilla-tobacco-cognac thing.

In drydown, most of the scent fades out. There's a wisp of dried grassy moss, maybe?

In the decant: gloriously bright, lush, damp greens. The green tea and bamboo stand out the most, and I think the wasabi's adding to the overall "brightness" of the scent without adding a lot of spicy bite. On my skin, this dries down to a darker, mossier green -- I think the musk and patch are starting to come out more on my skin, too. Probably going to stick with just a decant, since I like the in-the-decant scent more than I do the end result on my skin. It's the green tea scent I always dreamed of in the decant, though.

Wet: green soap

It's a very clean smell.  Fairly aquatic upfront with a quick tang of wasabi and flash of wood (that fortunately doesn't bloom in to pencil shavings on me). Wet green from bamboo, moss.

Kind of dry: 

Soap phase is over.  Very solidly bright wet forest on me.

Dry:

This ran away on me fairly quickly.

L wrist - muted green with warm soap notes

R wrist - green with musk and a little spice

Neck - smells like the juicy middle phase on the inside of my shirt

Frog Moon starts off so wonderfully green, bright, juicy and fresh -- it's hard to pick out some of the notes, but I think the green tea, green musk, tulsi, grass, and bamboo are what I got during the wet phase of the scent, with just a bit of a kick from the wasabi. Unfortunately, it ends up turning somewhat soapy on me once dry (I think it may be due to the green musk mixing with the moss), and then it becomes much drier over time as the patchouli leaf comes out more and eventually becomes one of the dominant notes on me, along with the moss. But it doesn't really smell like the green musk and patchouli from The Laughter of Loki, as that one features a different patchouli note and the mistletoe and basil in that make it a different sort of green scent.

I really liked the wet phase of this, but sadly, I didn't enjoy the other phases of this scent nearly as much.

I ordered two of these and it did not disappoint for green musk fans! In the bottle: Green mosaic explosion: Pine, musk, bamboo, citrus, you name it, if it's green it's here! On, wet: Bamboo comes to front as it warms up. Also little pips of citrus. Drydown: Long, slow drydown. End result is a swampy green musk with some dry wood on top.

Starts off a little similar to the 2020 Lilith A Vigilant Eye at Heaven's Center: a fresh clean minty blend with the pinch of wasabi in the background. Very close to shampoo or soapy territory, but that fades in about a minute. Around the hour mark, it loses the fresh smell and has morphed into a slightly dark murky water scent with the pond grasses and touch of pine.

Definitely a morpher. I knew I might not love this but I still wanted to try it anyway because of the wasabi. And in the end, it's just okay. That beginning wet stage, while very clean, was the best. This funky dry down matches the name well, but it isn't something I would reach for a lot. Glad I tried it though, the label is very cute! I will keep this around for a bit to see if aging will soften the muskyness.

I usually love BPAL's green scents, and I loved this for the first five minutes, then it went very sharp and sour on me... not sure what's causing it (pine moss maybe?), but it stays that way for about an hour or so until it fades away. Too bad because all the juicy green goodness of those first five minutes was lovely. 

This smells more lemony-yellow than green to me, but it's still very lovely--juicy and fresh, with the sharp thrill of wasabi on top. It smells sweet, too, not in a sugary way, but in an almost fruity way. I suppose this smells very much like the concept of a big bowl of dewy limes.

The weeb in me likes to think this is what Tsu smells like.