Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Osculum Inflame

A scent of seduction, transgression, and danger: crystalized sap, candied red fruits, raw wildflower honey, black amber, and sweet red labdanum.

(This scent is vegan because pacts with the devil should be available to everyone regardless of their dietary preferences.)

This is such an interesting scent! It's quite different from what I was expecting from this blend of notes. It actually strongly reminds me of an old favorite - Carnaval Noir's Freak Show - on my skin, despite the significant differences in the notes list (fig, pomegranate and cocoa bean with lemon, bergamot, vanilla, mellow honey musk, calamus and tonka for Freak Show); Osculum Inflame wraps its fruits in honeyed resins, rather than honeyed cocoa. The drydown process is a bit cacophonous as the notes jostle for a place in the blend, but they dry down into a soft, sweet, blended fruity resin scent. Black amber is generally a fantastic note on me that only gets better with age; I can't wait to see what happens to this blend over time.

This is such a pretty scent, but the labdanum kills it for me.  It's definitely one of those notes that either blends in and disappears and I don't even notice or it goes SUPER MEGA ULTRA COLA and I hate it.  I hate it so much.  And it went the cola route here, at least when Osculum was wet.

Once it dried, it turned to a sweet, lovely, well-blended resin scent.  Not a headshop incense or even really "incense incense," but something more subtle.  The honey in this smells like agave nectar to my nose, rather than the syrupy, intense scent I'm used to.  It's still very pretty, but not quite the same.  I'm assuming it's the vegan vs. non-vegan honey component making the difference.  I'm very happy to see Beth making this one open to everyone, vegan or not, though.

Incense, cola, and a whiff of honeyed resins. To me, the labdanum and incense are the strongest notes, so it ends up in a incense cola sort of hell. Medium throw, great wear length.