BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Jupiter

Jupiter, from Celestials - Planetary Oils. Characteristics listed on the site:

Majesty - Expansion - Optimism

Politics - Civic & Religious Leadership - Health

Prosperity - Advancement - Justice - Benevolent Power - Responsibility

Sagacity - Sworn Oaths

First sniff: This smells more like Mercury to me -- sharp-edged and mischievous, in a chaotic rather than playful way. It's not the steady regal scent I'd expect for the king of the gods. (But then, Jupiter wasn't exactly steady and regal when he was off boffing all the mortal women he could get his divine paws on... *quickly dodges the lightning*)

Wearing: Definitely sharp and a bit haughty. It's masculine, but not in the typical way -- it's arrogant and withdrawn rather than husky and macho. Much darker on me than in the bottle -- at first touch it's bright green but quickly dulls to something almost sullen. After a few minutes on, it smells exactly like pencil shavings (which to my brain fits perfectly with the "politics" aspect, though I really can't explain why).

This is definitely redwood, which is the pencil shaving note for my nose. It is regal and benevolent in my mind, and somehow the pencil shavings are much more subtle here than they are in other blends.

Understated, calm and collected (I can practically see the judge's bench and black robe), and a tree growing straight and tall are the first things that flash through my mind.

A woody scent that I'd be much more likely to wear for general purposes than Cathedral or Aureus; much more subtle and full of strength, with the added bonus of a less harshly dry nature.

This is much more woodsy than I expected Jupiter to be. But what could I have expected Jupiter to be? Jupiter is big, he's the Santa Claus planet that brings you goodies but also is too optimistic, and I haven't spent enough time around the redwood trees to know if that's what they evoke, but at least I know that they're BIG, so in that sense, the woodiness is very appropriate. I also do get a sense of optimism from smelling this scent. This will be something I use for healing work and meditation as it is too masculine for me to wear as a fragrance, but then again, Jupiter is a very masculine planet.

Initial Impression:

Crisp in a way that suggests stormy weather, yet rich in a very "arrogant bastard" sort of way. Musky and masculine too.

After Wearing It:

Jupiter is an overwhelmingly woody scent. First on, all I could smell was redwood. It reminded me of being in a lumberyard with its strong, dry woodsy-but-not-at-all green scent. It felt impressively tall, yet not intimidating. Arrogant but full of good humor. Very Jovian.

After an hour or so, another note appeared on Jupiter's horizon. I can't identify it specifically, but it smells like the way the air does right before a thunderstorm. Very slightly damp and charged with potential energy. I saw forests of massive leafless trees in the beginning of winter or early spring, while the beginnings of bad weather are just beginning to announce their prescence. The scent is woodsy, but not forestlike in that there are any green notes, just deep, deep red wood.

Final Thoughts:

While this is definitely approprate for Jupiter, it's not something I can wear. The scent is too dry and there's not enough in there to temper the wood to make it appealing on me. Would probably work better on a guy.

I know next to nothing about the aspects/powers attributed to the planets so I cannot comment on the appropriateness of this oil.

I can tell you what it smells like and on me this is primarily wood combined with a strong green scent (dill maybe?). It gives the overwhelming impression of an old wooden pickle barrel. :P In and of itself that is a really neat trick but needless to say is not something I want to smell like.

~Roja

Let me attempt to review this blend from a little different perspective. Sometimes I use a blend, not as a perfume but for a specific physical, mental or spiritual purpose. This one, for me, is a very important & versatile blend.

If I am feeling "scattered", Jupiter makes me feel not only focused but grounded & spiritually strong.

Jupiter is 4 wheel drive in the snow. It doesn't mean you won't spin your wheels but if you do, you're in a better position to deal with it.

In the bottle: Totally ignoring the magical purpose of this oil, this smells wet like those old metal pencil sharpeners that used to be clamped onto the teachers desk in grade school. It was a special treat to be allowed to empty it, back then, and I was always happy to walk away smelling like the colorful shavings within. This smells like that. Waxing more metaphysical, I suppose that might just be the purpose. Male power and warmth, this one, right out of the bottle. And yeah, leadership .. the teacher.

Wet: I was afraid to wear this because I wasn't sure smelling like pencil shavings was what I wanted, but I'll go ahead and try it anyway. The cedary smell of pencil shavings remains, strong and sure. Not exactly something I can wear as a regular perfume .. but I imagine this would be very centering when I'm in a frazzled state. It's warm, and as it brings me so easily back to my childhood, it's rather calming. It puts me in a frame of mind where I think I can sort out whatever I'm dealing with.

Wearing: This is growing on me, actually. I had been given an imp by one of my swaps .. I can't even recall who at this point, sadly .. but at that time, I wasn't all that pleased with Jupiter. But it really is growing on me as a centering/grounding force. It's wood, and memory to me. Good, comforting memories that keep me focused.

Very very woody, but saying that, there's a centeredness about this one. Although I cant stand wood scents, this one feels like a very tight aura around the area applied. Its drawing everything in. Perhaps its because I'm more aware of scent through disliking it but this is doing strange things to the area applied.

=o

at first: sweet and a bit sour.

on: very nice. it reminds me of a fruit that i can't quite place. possibly starfruit.

half an hour late: still a fabulous fruit scent.

2 hours later: a bit floral now, but still mostly fruity.

4 hours later: powdery and more floral. very nice.

overall: this scent is very unique. i love the fruit note that is most prevalent at the beginning. a great scent.

On the first application of the BPAL oil Jupiter, it seemed like a very bitter, masculine scent. However, the fragrance did manage to become a little sweeter in an herbal (herby? herbish?) fashion. It's quite complex, and I'm afraid I'm not as adept as I'd like to be in regards to picking notes out, but for a while, Jupiter seemed like a very green fragrance, reminiscent of broken weeds and leafy herbs. Someone previously mentioned smelling a woody scent, and this is probably something along the lines that I caught as well.

After a longer wear, like at after 20 or 30 minutes, the bitterness manages to return to Jupiter a little bit. Jupiter has some bite to it. It seems like a very interesting unisex scent.

If this oil were still in production, I wouldn't mind having an imp lying around. It seems like something that would be good layered with Jabberwocky or other green scents. I'm waffling about what I am going to do with my 5 ml bottle, however, because at the moment I'm in a big move to purge the scents I don't wear, and Jupiter is on the chopping block.

I'll have to think about it a bit more.

-doreen

I decided to try this based on the reviews, got an imp of it and fell in love, and then luckily quickly ordered a 5 ml. before it was phased out.

I love this! I find the scent very comforting. It is very heavy on woody notes. Cedar? Probably, though I don't know if I'd know the difference between that and redwood or whatever. but there is also just this lovely fruity sweet note too that tempers the woody dryness. I'm not sure what it is. A slighly plummy note? But its sweeter than that....

I don't know. But this turns lovely on my skin, rich with wood yet sweetened with something like a sweet ripe berry. I'm glad I got it.

i didn't get woody, (hehe that sunds so bad) but it was a fruity sweet scent i am thinking possibly mango? pinapple? something tropical w/ a metallic back note but over all a very fruity blend, way sweeter then i imagined after the reviews.

In bottle: Wood and something almost fruity. I would guess it is a redwood, as someone else mentioned already, but I am mystified by the other notes in this composition. It almost smells foody?

On me: Weird. My brain keeps declaring "chocolate-fruit!" like chocolate covered dried strawberries. Then over that there's the redwood. Sometimes I catch hints of something ozone. It's quite lovely; I didn't expect it to be like this at all from the reviews, but looks like Juniper and I could be friends. Funny, I never would have thought that possible, what with all his bad habits.

Jupiter

Originated from: Celestials Circular Swap

Wet: I agree with previous reviewers: it's woodsy without being too woodsy, and fruity without being too fruity. I can't pick out the individual notes, but it's a very nice scent!

Drydown: Whatever fruit scent is coming out due to my skin chemistry is really being amped up. It's almost reminiscent of Baba Yaga, but a lot lighter. I'm not familliar with the smell of redwood, so I can't say if it smells like that or not.

Longterm wear: Though this is discontinued, I'd wear it if I had a big bottle. :P

Courtesy of the Celestials circular swap!

In the imp: Musty wood. Er?

Wet: Oh! It's redwood! Ahahaha, I'm so dumb.

Drydown: This is a almost fruity woody blend, if such a thing is possible. It's also somewhat cozy because my skin sucks it up and close, so I have to jam my nose against my wrist to smell it.

Final thoughts: This is a nice blend. I don't think it's for me, but I'm very glad I had the chance to try it.

I used to have a bottle of this but it came across as cedar chips of the pet store variety on me. It's a little bit "rounder" than a straight, dry wood scent, though, and there's a certain slighty citrusy twist to it. But it's mostly cedar shavings -- which I LOVE, but since it reminds me of a pet store I associate that with some less pleasant smells unfortunately.

I did wear this on occasion though when I wanted the influence of Jupiter and it seemed to lend me a certain feeling of strength of purpose and justice. Whether or not that was the appropriate feeling to have I am not sure, but I used it when I wanted to feel "in control." I would have kept this scent but I have so many bottles that I'm only keeping the ones that I use regularly.

This does sweeten up upon drying. I do like it...ultimately I decided that in looking for the perfect cedar scent though I'll keep trying regular perfumes rather than ones with more magickal connotations.

Bottle (Imp): I can't tell what it is, resin, wood?

Just On: Still can't figure out what it is.

An hour or two later: Okay, I'm getting wood..

Around 6 hours: Hmmm, redwood?

12 hours: Yeah, it could be redwood.

Overall: I don't mind it, but it's not really fond of my skin.

After reading other reviews: I got zero fruit out of this, so I guess my skin sucked it up, as usual. It's just not fair. Stupid skin.

:: kicks her skin ::

Forgive my short-ish review, I had to write up a bunch of reviews quickly as part of the Celestial swap circle...

Interesting, I got the same impression shelldoo did - light fruit, no wood at all. I'd almost think my imp was mislabled but since everyone else in the celestials swap got the wood impression, I guess its just my sniffer...

Anyway, finally, a BPAL fruit that works on me. I have no clue what the smell of this is, but it smelled wonderful on me and got even better as it dried down.

Yay for orders from Enchanted Castle arriving this morning! :D

I had briefly sniffed Jupiter (but did not try on) when Scourgeotheseas had the Celestials Swap package - I'm so glad I now have a bottle of my very own. Because the big planet is so tasty (please bear in mind - I'm evaluating on scent alone, rather than any magical/ritual purposes).

In the bottle: Sweeter than I would expect Jupiter to be - an interesting mix of notes I register as masculine (cedar) and feminine (berries).

On me: My chemistry amps up sweetness, and this is by no means a masculine scent as it dries down. It's complex and fruity - I'm still getting the berry scent, and maybe a bit of peach? The cedar lingers in the background and keeps the sweetness from getting out of control... this is almost makes me think of my mom's kitchen - fruits, berries, warmth, and the cedar kindling we use in the woodstove. :P

Edited by coulrophobe

In the bottle

light herbs and fruit

On

Fruity and green, there may be sandalwood, not sure about that.

As it dries the sweet fruitiness fades alot and the smokey, herbiness is primary now.

30 minutes

It dries to a nice powdery musky fruity floral. It's light.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Fruity/green

Summary

Fruity, smokey green.

It dries to a powdery musky fruity floral.

Purchase again?

Yes, for ritual purposes it's divine, I don't know that I'd wear it for the scent alone.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Origins - part of the TAL circular swap

Wet - seriously fruity. I am not sure what it is, it's familiar though, a slightly bitter fruit, reminiscent of grapefruit.

Dry - still fruity, with a slight bit of wood, redwood I presume, behind it. Even though this is a fruity scent, and I don't particularly like fruit, I find myself really liking this. It's pretty long lasting and the fruit stays true. The wood is very subtle on me, it just adds a bit of balance to the fruit. A lovely scent.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

From the Celestial Swap.

In the bottle and wet on my skin I got the "woody" scent others have described, but it was different. It isn't woody like actual trees, it smelled more like being IN a wood. Full of plants and moss and spicy smells. Almost immediatly after drying it began to smell like the most powerful fruit scent I've come accross to date. It was very sweet, dark, heavy fruitiness. Possibly cranberry, it remindes me a lot of Lampades. It smells like a cross between a tropical drink and a new age shop. It's good, but maybe not as a perfume. It's calming in a grounding way. It feels weightier than the others I've tried so far.

Courtesy of the Celestial Swap!

Jupiter is a rich, powerful wood scent. It's strong and forceful, without being malevolent or overpowering. Just used to getting its way. It stays and stays, too; this is a fragrance with a real sense of self and purpose.

I love it!

In the bottle: Juniper, that's what I can distinguish. It's a bit airy almost, which is odd considering the strong gravitational pull of Jupiter.

First on: Orange? No, but it does smell vaguely like some Body Shop fragrance I used to have. It's almost citrusy, yet still woodsy without smelling like wood. I can't even describe it. It's not really what I figured Jupiter would smell like, but it's nice. Very faint though.

Drydown: I can barely smell it, but what I can smell hasn't changed.

If you think that Jupiter is a boring place to live, you are wrong: Jupiter is a tropical fiesta!

I get a lot of tropical fruits from this one, mostly mango but also other juicy and ripe notes that I don't know. They are dancing salsa and eating a fruit salad. It has to be a very funny planet!