Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Jupiter

Majesty - Expansion - Optimism
Politics - Civic & Religious Leadership - Health
Prosperity - Advancement - Justice - Benevolent Power - Responsibility
Sagacity - Sworn Oaths

(Origin: TAL circular swap.) I know this. I just can't put my finger on it. (Wait! JUNIPER!) I haven't been reading other reviews, because I want to use my intuition in describing these blends, but I'm sure that the main component of this blend is familiar to me. This is a very blue-green scent, with swirls of purple throughout. I want to say that this is a mix of aquatics and berry-- a deep raspberry, maybe. I expected something much more green of a Jupiter blend, more akin to a money-draw blend. I do very little work with planetary correspondences, but I'm not sure this quite personifies the energy of Jupiter to me. It is, however, oddly comforting, in a way. I'd use this more to focus the energies of Water. This is a very... optimistic scent. I like it quite a bit.

Jupiter is overwhelmingly woodsy. It smells like musk-ified sap and old trees. It's a very masculine scent...I'm thinking lumberjacks :P

It stays for a REALLY long time. Not really for me, but then I like girly scents.

My Impression:

Jupiter is like......Peace on Earth & Goodwill toward all. I really can't even begin to describe how soothing this is to me. It is woodsy as earlier reviews have described and I do get a bit of a tropical note as well, but it is floral as well. Just like the new budding season of spring. Oh how I wish these weren't discontinued.

This is one of the lovliest blends I have had the chance to try. My scale of 1-5...5+

:P

Jupiter is definitely a woods blend on me, I never get any of the fruity sweetness that other people have mentioned.

First on, damp woods and pencil shavings. I'm not sure what redwood smells like, but this is an interesting woods scent. One second I think that it smells very dry, and the next I think it smells like a forest that has just experienced a light rain. In the drydown, I'm getting a smoky green scent coming through, it is rather herbal. It stays this way for hours until it fades away into oblivion.

Woods and smoky greenery. I don't know how I feel about this one, but I don't think that it's something I'll wear that often.

Redwood or cedar, it's hard to tell. Strong, woody, and masculine. This was a sort of cheerfully foresty scent, which I didn't expect. Fun to try but certainly not something I'd wear a lot.

I had an old imp of this lying around, and tried it on quickly tonight to decide if I wanted to order a bottle. Got the usual progression -- cedar chips/pencil shavings, then strong redwood bark, then a hint of unidentifable fruits later on. It's a little murky and unpleasant to my nose, definitely suited more to ritual purpose than pretty-perfume-wearing, so I think I'll be satisfied with the imp I've got.

straight sniff from bottle is very woodsy....almost like cathedral.... :P

upon application it stays pretty cedary...

but after awhile this turns into a beautiful bouquet of herbs and greens combined

with a cedary type of incense with some smoke and spice...gosh i love this

and i am thrilled i ordered a bottle and will certainly cherish and wear this

with all the good intentions it delivers :D

Edited by sookster

Jupiter

In the imp: woody! I think I smell cedar, and another wood, which may be redwood? It makes me think of tall, strong trees.

Wet on skin: now I get a slight sweetness creeping out of the deep, solid woody scent.

Dry on skin: this is nice. It's a medley of strong woods and forest notes. I get dry cedar, hints of sweeter, warmer sandalwood, another woody note that may be redwood? I think I get oak as well-there's a slight scent of bark in here. I'm not sure but there are other woods that I don't recognise that may be in there. possibly a hint of juniper too. There's also a sweetness to this scent-it's probably the one which others interpret as 'fruity', but to me it's not that fruity at all, it's almost like a sap scent, not sure what kind of tree sap, but it reminds me of sap or evergreens and the sweetish scent of decaying wood and autumn leaves. If that sweetness were fruity, it would be a subtle berry scent as opposed to tropical fruit punch. This scent brings to mind standing in a forest of strong, ancient and incredibly tall trees. Very majestic and powerful.

After a while: soon, the scent starts to remind me of Tintagel! Yes, that's right-it's that berry and woods scent, with a hint of wine…maybe that's what the fruit note was? A soft wine note, maybe with some berries? But it does smell very Tintagel-like at this point, but without the dragon's blood, spice and leather from that scent. I'm thinking that there must be juniper in here now, along with all the other woody notes.

After a while, an evergreen note surfaces, which isn't pine, so I'm thinking that it's fir or spruce. I also get a hint of smoke and incense at this point, the scent has a lovely comforting warmth to it.

It's not long before this scent begins to remind me of Christmas! It's probably the winter berry and evergreen and log fire scent this blend has, but the scent on my wrist smells very festive now. It's still very reminiscent of Tintagel, but without that note that turned that particular scent soapy/waxy.

Verdict: at first, this scent starts out serious, majestic, powerful, and noble. A mix of woods including (I think) cedar, redwood, oak, sandalwood and others with hints of sap and bark and a trace of dry leaves evoke being in a forest full of tall trees, ancient trees which have a protective presence, surrounding you. But then, gradually, the scent changes…a sweet note begins to surface, a fruit note which to some, registers as tropical punch, but to me, it's the scent of winter berries, and following that is an evergreen scent of fir or spruce, and juniper as well. This is when the scent becomes similar to Tintagel. There are hints of smoke and incense, something reminiscent of fragrant log fires and sugared berries-a scent that makes me think of Christmas, it's now warm, festive, jovial even! I really like it and the images it evokes-and again, very evocative of the planet it is named for.

In the bottle: Sharp and woody. Definitely feels like a dark forest. Slightly similar to EOM in the woody sense.

On my skin: Ugh. No. It's turned sickly sweet. Like rotting woods. That hint of mustiness that goes along with something rotting. The rotting scent calms down rather quickly and pretty much stays woody after that. It's not for me though. But it's a nice scent. Maybe I'll put it on the boy or dog to see how it works on them.

In Bottle: Smoky woods

On Skin: Eeek!! This is super strong, my eyes are tearing up already. It reminds me of Djinn and Brimstone, two of my least favorite BPAL scents. It also has a super pungent sour note, almost like pickles. As it dries down, some of the smokiness goes away, but it is still super woody. Wow, this is strong redwood. It’s not me in the slightest and actually seems quite masculine. This is one of the Celestials that didn’t really appeal to me by it’s intent and description so I’m not too heartbroken. It’s off to the swaps I’m pretty sure.

In the bottle, I smell wood shavings, cedar wood shavings with a slightly sour note to be precise. Wet on me, it turns to a sour smelling fruit. Later on, it dries down to a sweet plum note with the bitter smelling wood surrounding it. Jupiter is a decidedly masculine scent. I know I won't be wearing this and I'm not sure that the husband would like this either.

Edited by mandragora

In the bottle: Hmm... interesting. Strong, something that sort of smells like new plants. Something woody. Warmth with a sharp, almost bitter, edge to it. But there are all these underlying scents too, ones that I can't pick out long enough to identify, it's a little chaotic.

On my skin: Wet, this is very woodsy. It's an almost spicy smelling kind of wood... reminds me of camping or hiking. This is a pretty masculine scent (not surprising, Jupiter is a more masculine kind of planet), but there's some kind of sweet something underneath the woody smell. I can't place it, but as it dries on my skin more it's gaining a sweet kind of spicy kick to it that's very intriguing. The smell is very... grounding. It gives me this nice homey kind of feeling. Warm and inviting. 10 mintues after applying: Cedar! That's the wood. It smells like a freshly chopped block of cedar just after a heavy rain.

Final Thoughts: I think, on days that are just not going my way or days that I need more of a down-to-earth attitude, this would be perfect. After wearing it for a little while longer, I'm loving it more and more. It's very warm and lovely smell.

This is my first review, so I am going to just focus on the scent and not the meaning.

When I sniffed it in the bottle, I immediately didn't like it. I'm glad I decided to try it on today on a whim!

Definitely woodsy. I don't normally like woodsy, but its really lovely. Has a slight citrus edge to it, but sweet and spicy orange. Maybe bergamont? With incense, which I think might be herbs.

When I smell it, I see a filmy image of a woman riding on a white horse side-saddle with long, curling blond hair, dressed in a silky, gauzy shift.

Has nice throw and good lasting power. :P

Edited by the_cat_goddess

Somehow I got "woods and chocolate" out of the imp. At first, while it's wet, Jupiter is all pencil shavings on me (not too original of a descriptor, but hey, it is what it is), but it surprises me by turning into a kind of fruity wood. Maybe some greenery in there.

I hated it at first, but this end result is nifty, fruity and woodsy (and I usually hate the woodsy scents). Definitely keeping the decant I've got.

(If there were a Beaver Moon scent that went the nature way instead of the cheeky way, this would be it.)

In the bottle: Dry pencil shavings, strong! It's... weirdly comforting.

Wet: Still pencil shavings, with a slightly creamier texture. There's a slight turpentine resin scent to it. Ooh, could this be cedar?

Drydown: Ooh yeah, I recognise the cedar note. A glorious, warm, homey, happy scent. I think that there are other woods in there, though, possibly oak, but I'm no expert. After a while it also develops a slightly smoky quality, like logs burning happily in a fire. It's slightly spicy too, but I can't place the spice - pepper, possibly? And the all of a sudden boom, I get a slightly buttery note out of nowhere, warm and glowy and delicious, making the scent even richer. Oooh! People smell fruit on me, but my nose doesn't seem to identify it - I register it as a kind of wood.

Overall: I love it. It's seems so simple at first, but it's not. I love walking in the woods and touching trees, and I also love the smell of burning wood. This has the smell of both, it smells homey and outdoorsy at the same time. And the rich warm oily note is dead on for Jupiter, I'd been expecting a note like walnut or hazelnut, so I was pleased to see it pop up. It works just like Jupiter should: it makes me all enthusiastic and happy.

A woodsy, spicy, earthy blend. This is quite nice; I can see the comparisons to pencil shavings, but really it's a lot better than that. It's a calm, soothing woody note, and it has a soft, almost creamy undertone. There is a hint of herbally/spiciness that gives it a little bit of a kick. I think I'll hold onto my bottle for awhile.

This is heavy and musky, with a drop of clove or pepper in it. Almost a boozy type of scent, it reminds me heavily of the rum my friends drank when we were out camping. Once on, there's musk and a tang of... sandalwood perhaps? Or patchouli? I'm not sure, it's a wood that's more Oriental than not. But I can't put my finger on it. Bamboo, perhaps? As it warms, the wood and musk blend lightly and create a halo effect over my wrist and hand despite the small drop I dotted onto my wrist. It hasn't got throw exactly, more like cloy. It maintains a nice woody, smokish aspect throughout it's admittedly short life. The final die down is soft and smoky with a final tang of musk and sweat before it fades away completely.

Bottle: woody, with hints of green. redwood? - a big wood, a hard wood.

Wet: mainly woody, yes. a combination of woods, the whole damn forest, leaves and all.

Dry: some floral behind the green behind the woods, but still all big and woody.

Later: softening some, but not growing feminine nor soft, per se - it's a green woodiness, but not harsh or sharp. expanding, majestic wood, how appropriate for Jupiter.

Jupiter - From the first moment I apply this blend until it has disappeared on my skin, it's incredibly woody. It smells similar to sawdust mixed with a little sandalwood. The scent is slightly dank and musty, and I don’t find it appealing in the least. It sticks close to my skin and has pretty good staying power. I’ll be passing this one along to someone who likes wood scents more than I.

Lots of cedar, maybe balsa wood, and a little vinegar. I am less than whelmed with this as a scent. But since Jupiter is a giant gas ball, it could have been worse.

However, Jupiter holds its own in an oil burner. The woodsiness evokes an old library feel. I will likely use this one up as mood/room scent.

Yep, smells so good as a room scent Jupiter may be the first 5ml I use up.

Edited by themerrybaker

First whiff: ... pencil shavings. You know, when I read the reviews here, I couldn't believe it could possibly smell like that at all, but... yes, pure, unadulterated pencil shavings indeed.

Drydown: Pencil shavings, the Single Note (™).

It just keeps on like that without varying at all, just pure pencil shavings. I might venture there's some cedar in this, but.. gah. It's the woody note of Tombstone, but without Tombstone's delicious vanilla and sassafras and, well, everything that made it so good :P

Verdict: What can I say? Pencil shavings, duh...

And it's hard for me to associate pencil shavings with optimism and expansion... :D

5.5/10

I bought Jupiter because I felt sorry for him. Here he is, it's the last day of the lab's eBay, and nobody bids on him. Aww poor baby. I bought him for the asking price, yay! I did let him haunt me a little first. And I LIKE outer planets. My chart has them occupying really nice aspects.

Wet: woody. That's fine, I like woody. No pencil shavings, unlike some people - maybe I just don't buy the good-quality pencils, those Jupiter-smelling pencils?

On me: woody with a hint of incense. Not so much I do not like it.

Dry: Ah, now the berries come out. This is beginning to smell like Bewitched now. But it is not so sweet as Bewitched was.

I agree with the other reviewers who said Jupiter is a very grounding and centering scent. He is. That is why I better make meself a port-a-Jupiter to carry around with me, for when I am flighty and crazy.

Jupiter, you've found yourself a home at Indicolite's Waifs-and-Strays.

I think I smell civet, though I'm not really sure. It's a sour-smelling musky scent. I really really dislike Jupiter, so it's destined for my swap pile.

In the bottle: pencil shavings (and I may be weird, but I like that).

On my skin: sandalwood and something earthy in the background.

After a couple of hours: the pencil shaving's still there, but now there's the tiniest hint of bergamot showing too.

Verdict: I'm not sure why but I really like this one. Héhé, I never thought I'd enjoy smelling like pencil shavings, though!

Edited by Emma2403