Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Jupiter

Majesty - Expansion - Optimism
Politics - Civic & Religious Leadership - Health
Prosperity - Advancement - Justice - Benevolent Power - Responsibility
Sagacity - Sworn Oaths

dark, spicy and woodsy. the other reviews say it's redwood, so i'll go with that. (i tend to confuse cedar, redwood and sometimes sandalwood because they can all smell like pencil shavings.) i think there's also patchouli and a hint of sweet orange blossom. i love woodsy blends so this is right up my alley.

A piney scent where the pine/juniper note does not sharply dominate. Never smelled something like this before, very interesting.

I'm also getting a very warm sandalwood, it's almost creamy.

A dry woods smell....people who have the "pencil shavings" problem shouldn't try this. Thankfully, I don't, and this works with my chemistry.

There's something sweet way in the background, too. I can't put a finger on it, but it's like there's some floral or fruit in there that is making Jupiter much more complex than it was wet in the imp.

I like this a lot, and think it's a very masculine blend. A very earthy woman could pull this off, as long as she wanted to smell like dry woods and creamy sandalwood oil! With that hint of sweetness...what the heck IS that?? : -D It comes out more and more as it dries down further....this may not be as masculine as I initially thought.

I will still pass this on to a guy so I can see what happens on da men. I think it will be glorious!

4.4 out of 5

I also got the very creamy sandalwood --- almost from the start. I'm not a huge fan of sandalwood but this one is nice, strong and creamy. There is a touch of sweetness and something almost floral.

Verrry interesting.

ETA:

So I got a bottle of this the other day. And on wet, I get a hit of vetiver and cedar. And yes, something that does smell like redwood. As it dries, it definitely goes more toward cedar... and then *sniff sniff*, I get slight citrus hit from it. Hmmm. This may need more ageing, as the citrus hit sort of reminded me to Capricorn 2004.

Oh, the possibilities!

Edited by zankoku_zen

Hm. I just got a partial bottle of Jupiter (cobalt) so I am guessing it is from 2006?

I smell patchouli and peach or apricot. YUM!

Whew! this one is strong :) Very confident and slightly aggressive. This is what I associate with vetiver, but I'm not sure what exactly it is... Fuzzy, dark, and strong.

I finally managed to get my hands on a bottle of this cheap! And I'm really glad I did, because it's amazing.

In the bottle: straight-up wood, pencil shavings, whatever you want to call it. Smells like cedar to me.

Wet on skin: this begins to ease up quickly into something that is still predominantly wood, but not entirely so. Cedar and something else, something which softens it and makes it slightly more feminine. It's still a masculine blend, but I didn't feel like I smelled like a man; there is more to it than just "I've been chopping down trees," some faint spice. It reminds me a lot of The Sportive Sun only less floral and without amber.

Dry on skin: suddenly, a hint of cinnamon and spice. I have to say, I really dislike cinnamon/clove blends. They tend to turn into potpourri on me, and while I like potpourri, I don't want to smell like it! But Jupiter somehow manages to avoid that, possibly because the wood still dominates. It smells like cinnamon bark in a very literal "bark" way. XD This is the only cinnamon/spice scent that has ever worked on me, where my skin didn't amp it and make it annoying and gross. It's just the finest undertone of warm spice under the smell of soft wood.

Verdict: this is definitely a keeper. The Sportive Sun is my favorite blend, and this is almost like an alternate mood of it, when I'm wanting the same thing but spicier and more masculine.

In Bottle: (Very aged imp). This reminds me of Sweettarts. It’s wood dominant, very sweet, with a soft incense well blended with the wood. I don’t know which incense, though it reminds me of one that was popular for meditation in the early ‘90’s, elevated, rather than earthy. Wet: The incense is stronger and more complex. The elevated top note in the bottle opens out to the mid and bass ranges, so I’m guessing a blend with a bit of dragon’s Blood to it, as it reminds me of Red Moon 2007 just a little. The probably red wood strengthens again as it warms, and the whole thing plays together beautifully. Given how old this imp is, I can only stand amazed at how well designed this blend is. It doesn’t smell much like reviews described it when it was new, but the bone structure is strong enough to be utterly lovely so much later. Dry: Mostly Redwood with a touch of incense.

I could swear there's vetiver in here. This scent when wet is incredibly familiar to me but I can't put my finger on it. Something unpleasant. Sharp and oily.

The nasty note thankfully calms down after a few seconds and it becomes a red currant-type thing. Almost alcohol-y.
When completely dry, there's something sappy-green in there too.

Like everyone else mentioned it's woodsy and sticky sweet, though I'd peg this masculine-leaning. It's really soft on me though, gotta get real close to smell anything!

In the bottle: Is it weird that the first smell I get is chocolate? After that, it becomes immediately more woodsy and less sweet -- even that hint of chocolate was just a touch sweet -- even pungent.

On my skin:

Wet -- Again, there's the barest flash of something sweet -- this time I'd call it baking spices -- but it's gone before I can investigate further. The next phase is woodsy and almost sharp. At this stage, at least, I'm definitely having the "pencil shavings problem" with this blend. A few minutes later, and the sharpness subsides, leaving behind a slightly spicy wood.

A few minutes more, and I do get just the hint of the sweet smell again. It's still woodsy at its forefront and at its core, but there's something just a touch sweet peeking in at the edges. It's not strong enough to identify definitely, but it's a scent I associate with sweet baking or sweet bread products. Cocoa, sugar, vanilla -- none of them would surprise me if they were in here.

Okay, I'm calling it -- It's woods (no, I cannot tell what kind) with just a hint of spiced coffee cake. As it emerges on me, I'd call this scent unisex to masculine. Throw is on the lower end of average for me.

Though this is probably not a blend tailored to my unique skin chemistry, I am very much impressed about how some of the subtler notes had the chance to emerge here.

A generous forumite shared a decant of Jupiter with me, and I am definitely going to use the whole decant as a power scent.  Wet, it does go on surprisingly sweet.  I didn't specifically smell chocolate; it was more fruity to me, though I couldn't say specifically which fruit - something dark like plum or currant, maybe.  This may skew a little masculine but that's the way I like it.  As it dried down, Jupiter became more and more wood dominant.  Definitely cedar, maybe some red sandalwood or patch or redwood as well.  Something tall and strong.  Which is not to say that the throw is strong, because I get hardly any (which is normal for my skin).  The late drydown is soft woods with a little sweetness.  It's not an I-will-crush-you sort of power; it's more of an I-am-the-power-embodied-in-trees-and-earth. And I like it.