Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Rippling Water in the Stone Basin

To me this smells like forbidden sex; sex within closets and against the trunks of oaks with nearby streams to drown out the sound. Lusty sex that doesn't try to be any more than it is because it's already complete. 

My first impression is of bright, living evergreen. There's a tiny bit of wood in the background, but this quickly fades on my skin, replaced by a prominent stone note.  There's a watery, fresh air feel to this without it being aquatic, and it wonderfully captures the sense of cold, rushing streams over mountain rocks. There are evergreens near the water, but not a forest of them. The bergamot is the last note to appear, adding a touch of tartness to the overall fragrance. I could actually do without this change, but the fragrance remains pleasant.   

This reminds me quite a bit of Vial of Holy Water from the RPG's, but this is prettier.  VoHW is more astringent to my nose, while this is sweetened by the juniper berries and feels softer.  The juniper berry is also reminding me of last year's Cooling Breeze. Overall, the scents are quite different, but they have a similar mood to them -- clean, airy, delightfully fresh.  Though this doesn't strike me as a sexy scent, I could see a nice roll in the pine needles smelling like this.  😜 

I really like how this smells in the decant. Cool mossy stone, emphasis on the stone with a lovely watery shimmer over it. Very reminiscent of the name, with stone and rippling water both reporting for duty.

I hate with this turns into on my skin. Arctic Blast men's deodorant. Just pure "cool sport" typical blast of scent, a touch of oakmoss and lots of cool pine and aquatics, which can actually be kind of sexy on a guy if you associate that scent with a hunky man, but also I don't want to smell like it if I'm choosing a BPAL! On the other hand, Rippling Water would be perfect for a dude looking to dip his toe into indie fragrances. It would be a very easy transition from something familiar to something a little more elevated. I like the drop of bergamot here, a little limey. Otherwise, this one is so not for me, but it's for someone!

This smells serene, remote, mysterious, and compelling.

The cade, juniper berries, and pine together add a deep blue-gray-green to a vague sense of ancient stone and cool water. A stone scent is prominent, the scent of water more subtle and conceptual -- this doesn't read as an aquatic perfume, but I could see it labeled as a stone perfume.

Rippling Water smells like the ancient stone fountain with cool, clean, curative water that your D&D party discovers. This is the spa sent of an ancient ruin or dungeon.

Pine, juniper berries, water and stone. This smells like a mountain waterfall. Great throw and wear length.

Blue, cool and watery aquatic overall. I love the notes here but on skin it reminds me of my husband's deodorant. It's clean and refreshing but not something i'd wear. 

Bright, cool water. On me it is a soft watery juniper and pine scent. Very gentle and lightly sweet, with a bit of bergamot. It stays very soft on me.. On my husband it is stronger and more bracing, sort of peppery. I think it will be shared between us and I think both outcomes are quite good though very different. 

This is really refreshing. Like stepping out into cool night air. The sort of freshness you'd smell at an expensive spa. 

A hint of something that is peppery, with fresh wet river rocks & a trickling fountain, and a woodsy background with a slight apothecary/herbal smell.

I really adore Juniper, so this one was an easy win for me. 

Edited to add::: this has become my signature scent, my daily wear perfume. It's so incredibly easy to wear, I'm surprising myself with how often i reach for this one - especially with how many options i have! I really really adore this one, so so much more than i initially realized!!

Edited by rivetted

In the bottle: Sharp pine and juniper. It has the quality of those scents you use to clear your nose, like eucalyptus.

On skin: ...hmm. Mostly pine and juniper still. Aquatic. Something sweet appeared briefly but didn't stay long. Kind of harsh on me.

Drydown: Okay, this is pretty much one of those men's products that advertises with words like "arctic", "ice", and the like. It's pretty strongly that and nothing else. I have no idea where everyone is getting the feeling of a mossy stone pool filled with water. This is not nearly calming enough for that to even cross my mind. Words like "serene", "gentle", and "lovely" are not the words I'd use to describe this at all. It's not bad, and if I had to choose a men's arctic scent this is nicer than whatever they sell in general stores, but it's really not my style. Strange, since I love pine.

After an attempt at scrubbing it off: It has not left, much to my chagrin. It's still not for me, but I find it more tolerable now that it's fainter. I can pick up on the bergamot, which adds something to the typical piney men's scent. I think that was the sweetness from earlier. I doubt I'll ever like this, but if you're looking for a kind of rugged, masculine, outdoors scent this would be a good choice.

I wanted to like this one so much, and I do, just not as much as I was hoping for. This starts out as an incredibly bright, almost peppery spray of juniper and pine with little puffs of frankincense rising up through the cade and spring water.  It stays atmospheric and intense for about 20 minutes until it suddenly shifts into the dreaded arctic blast/men's cologne note that I find so frustrating. I wanted the stone to play a bigger role, because up until the men's arctic blast overwhelms me, this is so incredible and bright and invigorating.  This captures the label art perfectly and its so crazy atmospheric I still want to sniff it despite it not working on me.

I'm crushed.

This bottle honestly reminds me of my fav BPAL scent, the bottle I've used the most of - The Chariot from the Vampire Tarot.  Only on me The Chariot really is a scream of white hot metal and glittering star dust.  It's so forceful and enveloping, but where Rippling Water turns into waves of cold men's scent, The Chariot stays hot and bright and sharp. It's the femme version of Rippling Waters and if the damn arctic blast hadn't beaten me up and stolen all the other notes I love, I would have bought two bottles, that's how much I like scents like this. 😰