Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Discarded Sandal

Interesting scent. I can smell the black pine, hinoki wood, & juniper all creating this kind of damp forest layer. Fading out, the beeswax, tolu balsam & muguet blend, come up front. I like wearing this one because I can identify/smell every note this contains.

Edited by Rane.
*typo

The first impression I get on skin is black pine standing out against juniper. It's a dedication to evergreens. Uncomplicated evergreenery.

But then a beautiful, caramel-toned honey beeswax comes out and changes everything. It reminds me of the honey and beeswax in Dalliances by Candlelight from the Lupers... three years ago. (Really? Was it that long ago?) When I'm reading as a caramel tone is at least partly the balsam. And the way the honey-balsam blends with the evergreens is divine.

The trees become secondary, a faint backdrop for the honey and balsam. I wish they remained a little more up front, but it will be interesting to see how this one changes with more rest.

Discarded Sandal starts off strongest on the pine and hinoki wood, but then the lily quickly joins the party. It's a little confusing to me, the foresty notes combining with the lily, with a light beeswax sweetness beneath them. But then. BUT THEN. It ends up settling into a scent that reminds me of sucking honeysuckle nectar from the blossoms in my grandmother's backyard when I was little... which is wonderful, but unexpected.

I'll have to retest this one again and see if I get the same experience, because I really wasn't expecting that result! I'll update my review if it changes.

Pine, wood, honeyed beeswax, and a whiff of juniper. This seems to be teetering between piney woods, and this caramel honey. Warm, sticky, golden. Good throw and wear length.

I am a sucker for the beeswax scents, and I love evergreens too (though not usually juniper), so Discarded Sandal was a no-brainer.  At first I got juniper and pine -- and maybe hinoki, is it a little astringent? -- overlaying the beeswax.  But it didn't take long for the beeswax to warm up and take over this scent.  I never made out the lily of the valley, which is fine, just the beeswax and the woods, like a meditation space beautifully cared for with beeswax-polished floors in a forest.  And it lasted forever -- I can still smell the beeswax on my wrist 24 hours later.  

Mmmmmm. Absolutely a wonderful beeswax & balsam scent. I almost feel like I smell sandalwood, but it's likely just the balsam?

I am liking how the beeswax feels "honeyed" without actually being that intense honey note. 

An almost subdued (but still strong scent) that feels very warm & wearable. 

In the bottle: Mostly pine. It has a spicy quality.

On skin: Right after application, this is clear, sharp pine with only a hint of sweetness. I don't recognize any other notes that might be there, except maybe juniper?

Drydown: As this dries, the black pine fades into the background and the beeswax takes over. Now rather than being pine wood sweetened by beeswax, it has morphed into beeswax coated over and completely covering pine wood. I think the other notes, I'm guessing hinoki wood and balsam, are blended in. It's a sweet scent but not overwhelmingly so. The pine wood is very faint but still detectable, and occasionally seems to reach out and stab me.

This one, like Ecstatic Dancing Penises, I knew was going to be a bottle purchase before I even got it on my skin, unf its sublime.

Discarded Sandal is the pine and beeswax scent of my dreams, opening with big beautiful waves of pine, tolu balsam and hinoki wood. The hinoki gives this a softer almost heated/dry edge which leads into this bottle's fantasticly rich honeyed beeswax heart. The beeswax is perfect: a golden core braced by layers of green resinous pine and tolu balsam and soft supportive hinoki, all while the muguet dances around with the juniper, giving this a kiss of sweetness that stands apart from the beeswax really beautifully. Everything I was hoping for!

Probably should have bought two bottles. 😅

Various foresty greens with a smidge of beeswax in the imp. On my skin the beeswax blooms and the muguet comes out, a beautiful soft white floral. All that foresty greenery really has faded back, like just a hint of it on the breeze.

I love this! I was concerned because of the pine but the beeswax calms the forest greenery down. It settles sweet. It’s like smelling a beehive in a pine forest. 🥰