Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Cascading Silks

It feels weird to be the first comment on this since I'm such a BPAL newb, but here we go. This scent is absolutely delightful. The amber and violet come through the strongest. It's a beautiful, warm, comforting spring scent. The orris butter makes it creamy and the other floral notes help prevent it from smelling like a gourmand. Still, I want to eat it lol. It smells so good. This is definitely a standout of the Shungas for me.

Violet, amber, and orris. There's a slight buttery quality to this. Sadly, my skin eats this in like 15 minutes. Medium throw, no wear length on me.

this smells very springlike to me. it starts with a very green violet leaf followed by lavender and some orris butter which adds a beautiful creamy element. there are subtle hints of carnation and wisteria but on me the violet leaf is the strongest notes. it's one of those very green violets, not powdery. if i inhale deeply i get the  orris/amber combination way in the back. this is really pretty, but after the drydown the violet leaf gets a bit too aquatic smelling for me but i like the beginnings of this perfume quite a lot.

Edited by theseagrows

Smelling this blindly, I wouldn't have begun to guess at the notes. It's sheer, slinky, but a little pickly. Like there's a twinge that resembles the ink note that can go pickle/cucumber to my nose, just like in Shadow Pictures. This infuses the buttery quality of the orris with something that I don't really enjoy much.

Reading the notes, I can see that the florals are very gentle but also have an odd quality to them combined. I think I smell violet/wisteria most prominently, with no lavender or carnation to my nose. I think this is the same amber as in Kimi Ga Dai Wa, because in my blind test I kept getting flashes of Kimi mood from Cascading Silks, but then pickles. Sigh. I also can't pick up the red currant, and that's usually a pretty distinctive note. 

I'd recommend this one to fans of Shadow Pictures or Kimi who also enjoy soft, buttery florals. I am probably the only one who has this problem with ink, but that was ultimately what made this otherwise pretty perfume a no go for me.

I have been actively seeking a nice violet-heavy perfume and I am happy to report that this fits the bill! This is a sweet & spicy oriental violet and I am loving it!

In Bottle: Strong violet leaf note on the opening that is quite sharp. Also very warm and sweet due to the supporting notes. 

On Skin: The sharpness of the violet softens, and the fragrance opens up into a spicy, green floral. I assume the "spiciness" comes from the carnation, based on what I've heard about it. The red currant gives this a very jammy feeling. Also very well-blended and it's difficult to pick out individual notes.

Dry Down: Orris butter sweetens the scent slightly, but mostly linear and fades gracefully.

Wear Time: 6-7hrs

Throw: Light (4-6in)

smells really nice! i actually think of silk when i smell this.

but it seems to be too faint for my skin chemistry. i wish it were stronger!

i'll age it, but if it doesn't get much stronger than this, then it won't work for me. oh well. 

Gosh, this was such a tease! Just adore this out of the decant. Starts a light honey sweet, damp and green stems that develop that violet character. It's got a shimmering quality -that flash of silk - that reminds me of The Diamond's Gong. But really this strikes me as Serpent Qui Danse lite, that kind of sweet, rich, creamy violet, but not as syrupy heavy. More of a flicker out of the corner of your eye than a head-turner.

And I guess that's why it up & disappears on me. 😢 The butter just isn't holding it down long enough to enjoy more than 30 minutes or so. It's still wonderful! And I will use every drop of my decant! This actually was my No. 2 of the Lupers this year. But I really wish it wasn't quite SO ethereal. 

In the bottle: Amber and orris, but I get more carnation and currant than I do violet leaf. 

On my skin:

Wet, the amber all but disappears. The orris butter rounds out the slightly spicy carnation and slightly tart currant to keep them a little smoother. The violet leaf does come out as it dries, adding a bit of earthier, almost greenery-er vibe to the brightness of the carnation and currant, which are still supported by the amber and orris. (I cannot pick out the amber at this stage either, but amber has a pretty long history on my skin of picking out and amping other notes without being detectable itself. I suspect it is doing the same thing here.) It's really nice at this stage, a very light scent but one with a lot of throw on me, if that makes sense. The smell is never overwhelming, but I'm also never bringing my nose closer to my skin to try and pick it out of the air. 

This isn't at all like what I usually wear (which is heavy on patch and spices), but it's completely great. 

On me, this is all about the orris butter, violet leaf, and tangy redcurrant, clinging to the skin like silk. The creamy orris butter smooths out the pointy green edges of the violet leaf, and the fruity currant nudges it away from being purely floral. It smells like a really luxe lotion. Slinky and best suited for snuggling, where it can be appreciated at close range. 

Edited by PumpkinGuts