Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Honey, Black Lilies, and Gardenia Petals

This is not a scent I would normally order. I love my sweet scents, and I love my florals, but something about this sounded too ~mature~ for me (I tend to like really girly, sparkly scents). But... it got described as a "9ft tall big titty vampire goth mum, you know, from Resident Evil" scent in the 15 minutes of fume video and I was sold on it.

I got another honey pot scent this year and right off the bat the honey hits you in the bottle in both cases. I'm not sure what kind of honey this is but in the bottle and when wet there's almost a buttery note to both of them, like you've just put honey on hot buttered toast. The flowers are barely noticeable in the bottle for this one.

Once dry, however, they come blooming through so beautifully. I was right about it being a more mature, ladylike scent, as opposed to a girlier sweet floral, but I really love it. The honey and flowers don't compete but blend together into a really heady, seductive sweetness with really impressive sillage. It interacts with my skin in a very interesting way, something gets brought to the forefront just a tad that I can't quite pinpoint - I think it might be the lily? The longer it stays on, the more I love this one.

Really happy that I grabbed this!

Edit: Just a little update to say I've worn this all day and even taken a shower with it and while the scent is obviously faint now it's STILL detectable. The wear on this is tremendous! 

Edited by Moonbell

There’s a weird… spicy honey? in the bottle. The note disappears on application, replaced by a faint gardenia overlaid with waxy lily, but the florals are gone by the time it dries, and all that’s left is the strange dry-spice note.

No vampire titty.

Edited by Soupy Twist

I'd describe this as fresh, juicy lily glittering with light honeyed dewdrops.  The gardenia and lily intermingle so well that I can't really differentiate between the two in this fragrance.

There's a sort of fae, aloof quality to this that makes me prefer it to the more approachable and cuddly Honey, Tuberose, and Vanilla Sugar.  The honey in this is light and thin as opposed to the thick, "chewy" sort or the sharp kind that punches you in the face, hence my description of it as "dewdrops."  As Moonbell above mentioned, it does have a buttery quality to it.

Actually, this reminds me of a fancy afternoon tea/brunch thing that me and my sister went to once.

As for the Vampire Mommy comparison, I can sort of see it but sort of not.  I'd say it does capture the opulence of the Dimitrescu mansion and making people horny by stepping on them, and I could certainly see the association with a vamp in a big floppy sun hat (particularly with the afternoon tea memory).  I wouldn't say that this covers the more unhinged side of her, though.  This is Lady Dimitrescu in polite company.

The buttery, honey dewdrops linger longer than the flowers.

Very nice.

It's a sugary honey spear in the bottle, and the flowers creep up and encircle it but never dominate on my skin. Pretty good wear! I really like this one. There really is something a little sinister about it.

I was expecting a big, punch in the face, sweaty floral after watching 15 Minutes of 'Fume for this! I should say - I was HOPING for that. And this started as a delectable, deep rich floral. Honey is not always nice to me, but it was very kind - sweet and drippy, not sour and sweaty - here.

This blend feels like a form-over-function suffer for beauty, glamorous feel to it - like lounging around a wraparound porch on a humid New Orleans night in sumptuous velvet - hot, sticky, clingy, ripe. A creamy, spicy flower. Smooth petals on a steamy evening. Love it! The effect didn't last more than an hour, but that one hour was HOT!

This is like the evil but equally lovely twin of the Honey/Tuberose/Vanilla Sugar honey pot scent. This is heady gardenia, "spicy" black lily, and the same sugary golden honey from this year's honey pot collection. I wish this lasted a bit longer on my skin, but maybe with age it will gain longevity. It reminds me of other honey-lily blends like Tiger Lily and Potamides, so if you loved or missed those, definitely give this a try. 

The honey in this one is much stickier than the honey in Honey, Mahogany and Incense Smoke, at least to my nose. It’s thick and syrupy and hazy. Agree that it is almost spicy. I wish I smelled the florals a *touch* more strongly, and I wish it stuck around as long for me as it seems to for others, but it is lovely.

Ooh this is the same dark, treacle like boozy honey that’s in the Honey, Tuberose and Vanilla Sugar trio - so rich, like molasses - borderline burnt brown sugar. It definitely has some balls, it’s not a sweet sunshiney honey. And - just like the honey in HT&VS, this one has a strong throw and lasts for hours. 

So with that said.. it takes a little while for the black lilies and the gardenia to come out - I couldn’t really find either of them until about 20 minutes in, but once they kicked in, that boozy honey backed off a bit. 

If you’re looking for sweet gentle honey and pretty florals, this is not the one for you. But if you like a smokey, boozy honey with a sploosh of sweet heady florals, this might do the job for you. 

Overall, this is interesting and a bit different, and it has great wear length. 

I can't stop huffing this - it's so intriguing. I think @sunshinedaisybliss description of burnt brown sugar is spot on with some heady florals lingering in the background. It's like a snarky, Southern lady who throws veiled insults your way and is gone before you figure it out. 

Good staying power, even after washing my hands (tried it on my hand), but not overwhelming. 

I smell a brown type of honey with some sprinkled lily pollen and gardenia smoothing things over. Over time, the gardenia petals stand out more, while complimenting the honey perfectly.