Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Honey, Agarwood, Opoponax, and Leather

My first impression of this is a sexy leather oud, a little sweetened. The sweetness seems to come from a dark honey, not as rich as Pennsylvania buckwheat honey, but about as dark.

And actually, once this has dried… The honey does start to remind me more of buckwheat honey. Opoponax may be adding to the depth of darkness.

The oud is not poud, but it combines with the leather to remind of barns. This blend makes me think of Pennsylvania horse barns, but in a rugged, delightful way that brings back memories of when I first learned to ride in this state, on a buckskin pony with kittens in the barn always ready to play.

All three of this Luper's honey collection that I've tried have been really distinct and enjoyable.

This was one of those that I thought would smell totally different than what it actually does. In the bottle: Oh, no, my nemesis POUDH, with honey. On, wet: Honey recedes a bit, along with the oudh, but I'm also getting a strong dark resiny scent. Drydown: Oudh, resin, honey dust, and the tiniest bit only of a dry leather note. May need some more bottle time. At least the oudh calms down and behaves itself after a while. I suspect this would be lovely layered with any other leather or resin scent.

Honeyed oudh. I am not the client for this combination. NOPE.

Not as horrific as say Split Urban Tract Suburban Home.

The honey plays backseat. Opoponax and oud/agarwood are in front and leather middle. Oud/agarwood is moderate to low amperage. 

Overall, drydown is pleasant in a fine italian perfume way (sorry for strange frame of reference. A friend collects italian perfume and it reminds me of this) its rich, unisex leaning masculine but honestly a lot like chanel no.5 or charlie in its oud/chypre appeal. Golden smooth and silky with a citrusy/ deep wood bite from opoponax and oud.   Glowing warm brown in color feel. Complex.

Honestly, the further I get into this, the more I love it. 

Edited by SophieCedar

I reeeeeeeally waffled on this one as I was leery of the agarwood going poudy, which it did straight out of the mail. Thankfully, a couple of months later, that aspect has gone away and the agarwood plays really nicely now. Sweet honey, and the opoponax seems to be the same one in Event Horizon. Leather adds a really interesting backdrop to everything else. I find with leather notes in BPAL, leather often takes some aging to emerge so I'm curious to see if that's the case here. 

Overall, I love it, and am genuinely surprised that right now, I like it better than Honey, Mahogany and Incense Smoke, which I feel I need to let age further before giving it a fair review.

this one starts with mostly honey and opoponax. it's resinous with a honey that's not too sweet, thankfully. later i get some leather but it's very subtle, as is the oudh. it's primarily a resinous scent on me, then dries down to honey with hints of leather and opoponax. this one is really nice, but i feel that i already have others like it so do not need a full bottle.

On me, this was super strong wildflower honey for the longest time, backed by resins and a bit of leather. Over time, the oudh becomes more pronounced, but never becomes indolic on me. Opoponax can sometimes be cola-like on me, but I didn't get that vibe from it here. But this was so strong on the honey for the first few hours that I wasn't sure I would get much else from it! Definitely for fans of honeyed oudh.