Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Sun Rising

Shine here to us, and thou art everywhere: three shades of tawny amber radiating with orange blossom, Italian yellow bergamot, saffron, and mandarin.

Too much going on with this one for me. I wore it & it smelled like plastic, with orange blossom & mandarin. I know that the saffron & bergamot are the contributors to this one not getting along with my nose or body chemistry. Guess this one is not for me.

An opinion from a teenager- I haven't worn this on my skin since I got it, but I think it smells absolutely lovely on fabric. Sweet and fresh vague citrus, orange blossom, plenty of amber (if there's saffron it only assists the warmth). Makes me think of the wealthy parts of Florida and rural sunrises. Timelessly youthful. It lingers on both skin and fabric and isn't overpowering at all. 

Wet, this is golden and warm - not specifically citrussy or orange blossom-y. It reminds me of an autumn afternoon, still warm but before the leaves start to turn.

Dry, the saffron and bergamot show up as a slightly bitter, herbal edge to what is still a very cozy scent. Very nice. 

Not to be confused with - The Sun Rising from the 2020 Lupers! 😅 Tunisian amber, French beeswax, jasmine grandiflorum, golden peppercorn, myrrh smoke, and neroli 

Dang it. I'm wanting this to work, because I can tell this wants to be beautiful... on someone else.  :cry:  In the bottle, citrus, indolic sweetness, and herbal bite are well balanced and promising, but when it hits my skin, something goes screechy hairspray and citrus cleaner.  Something in Alleviate the Frenzy did this to me too though, and no one else seemed to have problems, so I'm probably just cursed.  Or my skin doesn't like this particular amber? (I'm gonna go with cursed. :werewolf:

I'm guessing, on the right chemistry this is sweet citrus and orange blossom, fuzzed by amber and warmed by saffron, sophisticated and a bit perfumey. That's what Sun Rising flaunts right before it decides to hate me. It does seem to hate me slightly less than when I first got it though, so I might let my partial sit for a couple months and hope a miracle happens.  Anywho, good luck everybody!  

I have heard from two people now about this amber that is like Alleviate the Frenzy's, and they are absolutely right! The same salty, bitey amber that made the peach in Alleviate amp and amp into a sharp peachy nimbus is in 2021's The Sun Rising. This time, it surrounds citrus notes in all their glory. I do get some beautiful fuzzy bergamot, with not much orange blossom allowed to peek through the louder note of mandarin. Saffron will be late to the party - as in years late - so I'm not going to wait up for her. Ultimately, however, the citrus is not well-served by this particular amber, with an unfortunate cleaner association solidifying. That's really unfortunate! I would love to see this exact blend with the warmer, cozier amber that's in many of the other Lupercalias this year.

In the bottle: musky amber orange. 

Wet: pretty much same as in the bottle. 

Dry: still that deep musky amber at the center of everything. The orange blossom, saffron, and orange/bergamot are all made very blurry by it. I can identify the orange but it's not bright or juicy. It's all warm and hazy. It makes me think of a red sky sunset. 

This is a very golden scent, and the amber is definitely the star.

The amber note here is a more perfumey, musky amber to my nose, very golden and warm. Around the edges is a little bit of citrus, but I'm not getting any distinct notes and no sweetness, just a little wisp of tart fruit.

The scent is golden, dry, and warm, very much an amber scent. Stays pretty similar into the long drydown, maybe with a little more of the bergamot peeking out. I never smell anything identifiable as saffron.

I was worried this would be too sweet, and it is not at sweet at all. The amber, which dominates, is very mineralic and dry. Unfortunately I think this has the same mandarin note as Carnal, which smells a bit like cleaning solution to me - it's a relatively short-lived note, though. The amber becomes slightly powdery, and the orange blossom and bergamot threaten to pull it into "perfume-y" territory. I'm on the fence about this one because the amber is fascinating, but the supporting notes aren't really working for me.

Wet: Oooo, mandarin and amber! Like a warm citrus hug.

Dry: This faded quite a lot, sadly. Not much citrus remains at all, and instead of a warm citrus hug, it's more of a warm.. powdery hug?  

I think I'll keep the decant and use it as a room fragrance. ;) 

I missed out on ordering this from the actual Lupers because I have a bottle of the 2020 version and somehow didn't register that the note list for this one was entirely unique.

In the decant:  Fuzzy amber and orange blossom. It reminds me of Khrysee. 

On my skin: 

Wet, yes, Khrysee with a little bit of citrus. As it dries, I lose all of the citrus and get a little of the saffron. Now it reminds me most of what I get of V'al Hanissim when I wake up with it the next day (the amber of that scent lasting longer on me than the beeswax). I think I get a bit of the orange blossom still too, making the scent airy. 

It doesn't get powdery on me (or if it will, not until several hours after application), and it's dry and yet warm. I'm actually going to go add this to my Wishlist.