Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Snake Smut

I actually used to layer Snake Oil and Smut from a suggestion from one of the lovely bpalers, back in the day.  Evanescence, I believe, you still out there?😀. Anyhoo, this is a bit different from my concoction, very sexy, spicy, and more fresh than my ancient oldies.  I really do love this, and will pick up a bottle at some point soon.  It will age magnificently ima sure💗

I never really understood Snake Oil - it was a little too pungent for me - until someone frimped me aged Snake Oil and that was, of course, an entirely different experience. So I wanted to try Snake Smut and I am not disappointed. It's a mellower Snake Oil. I think I can pick out the cardamom note, and just the tiniest bit of patchouli. Not sure if I can find the leather, but I've recently become leather-curious and whatever this is I like it. It makes me want to bite it. I've never bought an extra bottle just to age before, but this might be worth it.

The hype on this was so strong and the raving so loud that I eventually caved and bought a bottle. 

Maybe my judgement is influenced by my little hoard of well aged (10+ years) Snake Oil, which is truly magnificent, but for me this does not live up to the hype. For one thing, it’s very light - I was expecting a much more ballsy blend. And I feel like the Smut has smothered the spicy musk and dark rich vanilla that I love so much in SO. I’m getting no leather and no patchouli - just a lighter, warmer Snake Oil. Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. 

So I will do the only sensible thing, and put this away at the back of the drawer then see how it feels ten years from now. 

Cardamom's coming on a bit strong when paired with the red musk; wish it was more Snake Oil (I still like it) 

*Look at this trove, treasures untold

How many backups can one cabinet hold?*

Oh, review the scent? Sorry, right. 

It's everything. The post office lost my package for a minute, so this bottle got to age 3 weeks and it is EVERYTHING. Are you a slut for cardamom? Because I am, and I didn't realize Snake Oil would benefit from some. I like red musk but never vibes with Smut, but this is indeed a treat. 

I only do backups for real mindblowers, this might need 2 backups.

Well gosh darn.

I love several SO variants. I love Smut. I'm obsessed with leather notes these days. This was supposed to be a guaranteed win.  And yet something has turned very VERY wrong on me with this.  All I get is a blast of single note angry powdery cardamom.  I can't wash this off fast enough.  Total chemistry fail.

I guess I'll cellar this bottle for a year or more and try again later.  So disappointed.

EDIT: a few months of aging and now Snake Smut is incredible and I love it!  

Edited by rawgirl75

This one starts out with a blast of cardamom over heavy musks. As it dries down, the cardamom calms down but stays front and center, while a soft leather note comes out more and the musks settle. Overall post-drydown impression is soft leather and gentle musks sweetened and warmed up a bit by the cardamom. It's almost like Leather Phoenix's warmer, muskier cousin. Disclaimer: I've never tried Smut, but have tried Snake Oil but find it a little too heavy for my usual style. This is a take on SO that I find myself enjoying a lot more, probably due mainly to the leather and cardamom notes. Did end up buying a full bottle to see how it ages.

Wearing Snake Smut again today, I'm really wondering why I didn't put at least one backup bottle of this in my last Lab order.  The vanillic qualities in this remind me of LUSH's American Cream and Butterball scents - that buttery, deep, slinky vanilla (or like the vanilla in Snake Oil is turned way up and more buttery, gourmand and white chocolatey), the hint of cardamom is a mellow, exotic, smooth, cool spiciness, and everything else is just dark, sensual, and so incredibly smooth on my skin.  When I first got this, I could pick out the leather as a strong, separate thing, but now the dark musks, leather, and earthy patchouli just meld into a darkly sweet, incredibly sexy thing of its own.  In the drydown, the deep earthiness of the patchouli is more noticeable in the background.  Dark vanilla heaven with hints of cardamom and earthiness.  Oof.  It's amazing.

This baby packs a real punch -- it's one of those scents that's still going strong 24 hours after applying. Still fresh, this is a good blend of the two scents. Smut is maybe a bit stronger, but it's afforded depth by the resinous Snake Oil. The leather is smoothly sinuous. The lab's fresh leather sometimes has a plastic tang that fortunately disappears with a little age, and that plastic is already barely a presence here. The cardamom is not very strong, but I can find it if I focus on it, and it gives a welcome earthy spice that tames down some of that sparkly sugar of Smut.

Both Smut and Snake Oil are known for aging phenomenally. I'm happy with this blend just as it is, but once the Snake Oil starts to rev up, it can only get better.

So happy that I snatched up this Luper before they all were taken down! This is a warm, cozy, and sexy scent perfect for cuddling or slithering into bed with someone 😘🐍 Doesn't have amazing throw or wear time sadly, but I love it all the same.

In Bottle: Spicy, boozy citrus! The "citrus" I'm picking up must be the cardamom or maybe something in Smut or Snake Oil, which I am not familiar with on their own. To my nose this is actually very reminiscent of Lush's "Karma" scent, but more mature and boozy. 

On Skin: The leather accord and boozy notes amp up, but mostly a linear scent.

Dry Skin: Still quite linear! Fades gracefully

Wear Time: 4-6hrs

Throw: Light/Medium (4-6in)

Disclaimer: I don't like Smut, but I DO love Snake Oil.

Wet: Cardamom and Smut. I'm incredibly surprised that I don't detect Snake Oil.. anywhere?

Dry: Okay, so this blend did a total flip flop on me... now I can only smell Snake Oil. (A "softer" Snake Oil, but still.)

Well then. I love Snake Oil, but if I wanted to just wear Snake Oil... I would!

OK I know I already reviewed this, but I am so glad that I got 4 bottles of this.  I have other untried bottles but NEEDED to wear this AGAIN today.  Get it whilst you can!

I'm getting mostly cardamom and leather, actually! It's very light and a little sweet. Some time on the skin brings out a bit of vegetal musk with a whisper of patchouli, and I've never tried smut but I'm not getting any distinctive listed notes. This is tested very fresh so I will update as this ages to see if the SO makes more of an appearance (I predict it will)

Wet, this is very high-pitched musky Snake Oil, and I get that citrus/orange blossom zing that someone mentioned in an earlier review. Dry on skin, it's pretty much just Snake Oil with cardamom. That being said, I don't get the play-doh note from SO like I usually do, so that's something - but I feel like this needs to be layered with something else. I think I need to let it age for at least six months, and then try it with some gooey aged Haitian Vetiver or maybe a brighter citrus/floral... hmmm.

This is primarily cardamom, which I amp, and which happily stays RAWR biteable (rather than screechy or scared-cat-sweaty).

The bright cardamom is softened by brown leather, with juicy Smut in the mid ground. 

Snake Oil is there, waaaayyyyyy in the background, and I’m pretty sure it’s what’s blending everything together and keeping the cardamom in check. 

I am SO excited to see how this ages, and I’m really glad I invested in 3 bottles 💃

This is such a strange scent on me. I got two bottles because I’m low key obsessed with it 😂

tbh I experience everything mentioned in every review on this so far, in the sense that it seems to be different every time I put it on ~ maybe from changes in my body chemistry or just perception or what, I have no idea. 

I did not like this scent fresh at all ~ the combination of notes almost smelled like a choking powdery mildew over top a dry tobacco-like patchouli, or a dirty well worn leather. 

give it a few weeks, and the magic begins~ the notes start to deepen and blend and situate in a different way, getting a bit more fleshed out and simultaneously blended.

Overall it has something oddly grounding about it.  It’s very earthy and full of cardamom that floats over top like a haze over the rest of the melange.  It’s a scent that instantly feels “lived in” if that makes any sense at all. 

sometimes I put it on and I can really smell mostly the spiced vanilla in the snake oil, other times it’s all cardamom and ruddy leather with puffs of patchouli and almost like a rye whisky scent.  Sometimes I even get a slight resinous cola tinge in the beginning that some people have mentioned ~ a lot of times it’s all of these things at once.  

im really excited for this to keep on aging and gaining depth especially from the snake oil. I don’t have anything like it, and it’s very intriguing and special.  

putting it on gives me the feeling of putting on a well worn comfortable shirt.  

This scent is incredible, the longer I've had it the more I love it. First applied, there is a little bit of a root-beery aspect, then it's all leathery spicy musky goodness, with a sweet earthy vanilla patchouli backing it all up. It has a kind of "body" to it (perhaps from the cardamom + musks), it's not quite funky, but it's not freshly showered either. Viiinylflowers above puts it perfectly, "lived in". It just instantly melds so well with my skin, while other perfumes might take hours to get that way. It feels simultaneously powerful, incredibly inviting, and a bit mysterious.

It doesn't smell at all like smut to me, and I don't remember what snake oil smells like (I smelled it once in a shop years ago but it wasn't my style at the time), it's a unique beast to me.

There is decent throw when first applied, after two or three hours it's mostly a skin scent. The longevity on me is incredible, after 12-24 hours later I can still smell earthy vanilla musk on my wrists. Mmmmm

I haven't smelled Smut or Snake Oil independently, but having tried another Snake Oil variant, I know there's something about SO that smells kind of medicinal to me. This has that medicinal edge but also smells a bit like rootbeer. Contains my nemesis, aged patchouli, but if I hadn't seen the notes list, I wouldn't have guessed. I can't really pick out leather or cardamom either. This is probably the only Snake Oil I need, but I would be curious to try Smut on its own or in another variant.

My skin chemistry is changing and Snake Smut is one of the casualties. This was so beautiful on me hardly a month ago. I loved it. It was musky and had that Snake Oil edge, along with a faint cherry scent to it. A cap dot on each arm lasted all day with a medium throw and was absolutely sexy and delicious. It's only been a week or two since my skin chemistry got weird but SO variants are trending baby wipes so far. Crimes. :'-(