Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Amoretti LXXV

A great and golden love: immortal, undying, infinite. A love brightly burned into the stone of eternity: golden amber and scarlet musk, black vanilla absolute, red apple, Siamese benzoin, and sweet fig.

Wet: lots of wet fruit (definitely feels red - more like pomegranate than fig).  Intense yellow oil.

Quick dry down to the classic smooth BPAL red musk/amber/vanilla blend - dark and smooth, sensuous and complex.  The amber isn't powdery and the black vanilla isn't smoky.  It swirls and softens in about half an hour and then stays quite stable (though still fairly sweet) for 8 hours until it fades.  This reminds me a lot of Madame Moriarty (2006) Inez (2008), Raven Moon and aged Snake Oil variants.  Definitely a keeper, and will probably age well.

Hot off the presses, Amoretti smells kind of like a trio to me. She's sweet and simple apple, made deeper by a rich and not-too-sweet vanilla and backed up a softened red musk. That said, I think she will age beautifully, with the amber a softening influence on the red musk, a nice thickening resin in the benzoin that should emerge more and more as it develops, and the perfumy-ness of the fig that helps keep the apple from going apple-bomb and gives her more elegance than your basic b!tch apple. 

What made really NEED this one was when I heard it compared to Dried Strawberries, Red Musk, & Bourbon Vanilla trio, but an apple version instead of strawberries. I think that comparison is dead on! Amoretti is not as bold nor as sweet, and I kind of like that! It's softer, thoughtful, more restrained, the Elinor to Strawberries' Marianne. But the same kind of person (me) would absolutely wear both. A lover of red fruity perfumes looking for something perfect for spring and summer, even into fall.

I was worried this would be too much like my beloved Vetiver, Patchouli, & Apple Peel, but not to fret. Amoretti has a charm all its own. The trio dries down to a silvery vetiver, and in my head that scent is a silver apple. Similarly, Poisoned Apple is dark and billowing with plumes of opium, like the apple pulled out of the witch's cauldron. It is a deep purple-black apple. Amoretti is a pinky-red dappled with brighter streaks, which could well darken over time as the fig and benzoin grow richer. It has a place as a bottle in my apple collection!

Amoretti opens with a luscious red apple and sweet brown fig, rounded out by a perfumey, opium-like red musk. The effect is as sweet as honey, as opaque as smoke, as heavy as lined velvet.

My skin being my skin, I'm anticipating that the red musk will turn to a ripe sort of body odor in time, but we're not there yet.

There was an earlier comparison to pomegranate. Sometimes I think I'm getting some pomegranate hiding unlisted in the mix. This blend is a conceptual stand-in for the love often represented with apples, pomegranates, and figs.

Later, the black vanilla and amber waft out, albeit well-blended with the other notes. But the strong apple/pom/fig and red musk continue to stand out.

Very sweet, very heavy, and dedicatedly sexy.

Sweet and simple, nothing too fancy, this a treat to wear. A nice light youthful fragrance, the apple is crisp while the amber and vanilla keep it grounded. A very ladylike apple, and most definitely red. It's not dark to me at all, more bright and summery. I could see myself wearing this as a mood lifter, or casually around the house.

In the decant: Amber and scarlet musk, in a way that's not un-reminiscent of Fragment 38 (one of my previous Luper faves), with a lightness from what I expect is apple and a roundness that I expect is vanilla.

On my skin:

Wet, it's amber and scarlet musk, a touch of bright fruit, and a touch of smooth vanilla. As it dries, the vanilla amps up, and there's almost something... husky?... the amber or the benzoin?... that evokes Madame Moriarty (less fruit-forward than the new version, less patchouli dominant than the original). The benzoin starts to come out as it develops on my skin, providing an airy dryness, which is what I think is calling to mind the Mme Mo but not quite vibe. 

This is actually really nice. The only reason I think I'm not upgrading to a bottle is because I've just compared it to three other scents (I count the Mme Mo versions separately) I own and love. 

Apple, fig, musk and a whiff of amber. This one smells like a fruity sophisticated amber to me. Good throw and wear length.

This one just glows on my skin - beautiful golden amber, a sultry but not-too-sweet vanilla, and a soft base of creamy benzoin. I can pick up the musk though it’s quite subtle. But the star of this show is the apple + fig combo - just gorgeous together.

Ah sheeeit… I should have bought an extra bottle of this, it’s beautiful now but I’m sure it’s going to age very well.  

I was super excited for this one, & well... it is beautiful. 

Truly.

But I also can't imagine myself wearing it?

It smells RED. Like bright juicy, wet & sweet candied caramel apple freshness. 

Imagine the freshest red apple you've ever bitten into, and then imagine it becoming this decadent sultry candied sweetness that you just melt into afterwards.

Like a valentine's pillow cloud of sweet red apple candy.

Honestly, I'd like to eat this. But not so sure I want to wear it as a perfume.

Beautiful golden scent, hint of crisp apple, with a light incense spice that may be coming from the benzoin. Love this, so golden and beautiful. Not foody. Not powdery. I don't get musk, it must just be blended in with everything else. Gorgeous.

If you like Liquid Gold is In The Air then you will love this. 

This is ambery-appley goodness with touches of vanilla and musk. Possibly the fig is making the apple smell extra pulpy and deeper than I’d normally expect apple to be. Gorgeous and juicy and can’t wait for it to age!

The apple note seems to go cloying, though maybe that's just me (I found the same thing with one of the Halloweenies.)  Or maybe it's the combination with the musk.  It smelled very nice in the bottle, but now I feel like I'm in a cloud of flavored syrup.

Opens with a bite of musked apple and a nibble of fig nestled in a crest of gilded amber. With time, the headier aspects of the perfume drift from the shore of the skin, leaving love's lasting imprint of sun-warmed fruits and sparkling vanilla.

Wow this is not at all what I hoped/expected. It goes very sickeningly sweet on me, with an initial blast that is not pleasant. I hate to say it, but it smells like pink urinal cakes on me. I have always liked apple and fig, but this is like a fermented mash and overly sugary. After drydown, it settles down and something spicy arises, probably from the amber. Unfortunately this remains too sweet for me to enjoy.  I'm really glad I tried it though.

Edited by Poenari
Spelling

Wet: Very distinctly "apple", with a hint of that potpourri scent I tend to get from apple fragrances. Oh no. It almost smells.. applesauce-like?

Dry: The faintest hint of apple. I can smell it, it's there, but I have to get my nose thisclose to my skin in order to smell it.

Nope. :( (To be fair, apple is a note that tends to not work well for me... but I keep trying, damnit.)

One of the loveliest apple blends I’ve tried. Apple, vanilla, and sweet benzoin are the prominent notes, with the amber and red musk in the background making everything warm and glowing. Super sweet without being explicitly foody, thanks to the strength of the benzoin resin. This might need to go on my bottle wishlist!

I rarely wear apple scents because they're not often very complex or interesting to me.  I really like Amoretti, though.  It's like a mushy, overripe, red apple (or one baked with no spices) with warm, sultry, red musk that lingers in the background, hints of woody, sweet fig, and a little bit of creamy vanilla.  I also get something that smells like a hint of sweet incense smoke in the drydown.  I really love red musk, so the undercurrent of red musk is what holds everything together for me.  It's a sensual, complex apple scent.