Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Blackberry & Oudh

On wet and in the bottle, this smells like sugary blackberry candy. It still has that sugary edge on it, but on the skin and as it dries down, the oudh comes out. Given how potent and visceral oudh can be, this oudh on me ends up more like ink. So slightly sugary blackberry ink. Yup, definitely have a heavy ink note to that. If you wanted to be a fae writer, I imagine your purple ink would smell like this. Medium throw and wear length.

Darkly sweet blackberry, definitely not the fecal kind of oudh thank goodness. I can see the ink resemblance for sure. The sweetness from the blackberry is almost stronger on me, but in the bottle I get more of the oudh. When wet, the oudh reminded me of dark chocolate almost. It's pretty good and definitely a keeper.

I don't have a lot of experience with oudh, but blackberry is a favourite of mine, so had to take a chance...I LOVE IT! The sweet blackberry stands out at first, with the oudh coming out more in the dry-down. I agree with the others that the oudh has an almost inky quality. I'm already thinking of getting a second bottle! 💜

Well this one is interesting!

For me, it started out with a blast of sweet syrupy candy blackberry which reminded me of blackcurrant cordial. I didn’t get any of the oudh right away, and to be honest at that point I was just very happy that the blackberry hadn’t gone to instant cat pee on me, which blackcurrant usually does. 

So I checked back 10 minutes later, and there’s the oudh! That initial candy sweetness of the blackberry has gone, leaving behind a lovely dark and dusky warm wine-like berry or deep plum instead, and the oudh is now definitely there.. slightly smokey and somewhat earthy but not poopy or stanky. Good oudh!

After about half an hour, I can’t really identify the oudh or the blackberry separately - they have integrated perfectly and together they’re quite lovely. I’m getting a slightly waxy feel from it, and if I really breathe it in there’s a slight camphor-like tone which is a bit odd but it’s not intrusive. 

Overall this has a lovely dark but soft feel and quite a mysterious vibe to it that keeps drawing me back in for another sniff. 

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

I initially passed over this out of fear of poud. Then I blind-bottled it based on earlier reviews, and they were right -- this is not the dread poud. 😅

This is not the tart blackberry I've gotten from some blends. Instead, this one is quite sweet. Sugary, actually.

When this first arrived, the oud was a pleasant woody one. I still get some woodiness, but also some of the inkiness mentioned earlier. 

I love this. Sugary, blackberry ink woods. It's delightfully fay and between-the-worlds.

Beautiful. Sweet deep blackberry, warm resiny.

If you like Mme Moriarty then you'll like this. 

I initially passed this one up because I like but don't necessarily love blackberry, and oud can either be really nice or scary. But the rave reviews for this got me to try it out . . . believe the hype. It's the best blackberry perfume I've tried (though I remember Bewitched being pretty dang nice), so incredibly realistic it seems like you could eat it. It's a little sweet and a little tart, and absolutely mouthwatering. And this oud is an inky-black sort of oud, almost velvety, underlying the blackberry and making it smooth and deep.

Got this one at the last minute because so many people said it was amazing.  Oudh can go either way on me but I LOVE the Lab's blackberry note.  Glad I got it!  In the bottle:  Sweet, big blast of blackberry jam/syrup!  On, wet:  Stays sweet, with a very long drydown/development stage on me.  Ever so gradually a bit of a powder note as well as a hint of creaminess start to leak through the blackberry bomb, with only a hint of sublime, dry oudh in the background--no poudh here!  May need a backup.  This lasted me all day, even after sweating and then getting stuck in a thunderstorm while running errands.  Really good throw and wear length.  

I'm trying to make friends with some fruity scents, and I like oudh, so gave this a try. Definitely fruity, but also a little dusty/musty. I think this is a blackberry pattern I'm encountering. Got a similar vibe from The Elephant is Slow to Mate. It's like traces of blackberry in an old jug. The oudh didn't do much here, unfortunately, not a trace of sour. I was hoping it would brighten the blackberry as @fairybites experienced - that dark chocolate fruity funk I love so much. But I didn't get there. Just kind of crusty old fruit.