Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Hunger Moon 2021

Ozone, white sandalwood, eucalyptus, camphor, crystallized white amber, verbena, oakmoss, clary sage, and a hint of white citrus rind.

Clary sage, verbena, oakmoss, and amber and sandalwood being the base. It starts off as a fairly citrus herbal, with some minty undertones, but then the sandalwood and amber pop right up warming this up. Fairly gender neutral, and actually would be at home in the Shunga collection. Medium throw and wear length.

This was an obligatory 'you're buying the shirt, so you must at least try the scent' decant, but I have to say, I like this scent way more than I thought I would based off of the notes!

I mostly get a sweet citrus-infused ice note throughout wear. Amazingly, the eucalyptus and menthol are really tame in this scent and aren't bracing at all. I suspect they're just adding to the icy quality. I get touches of ozone, white sandalwood (that note is a little more discernable after several hours), white amber, and oakmoss (how did it not take over!?), but everything is so well-blended that it isn't really a blend that is easy to pick apart by notes.

The citrusy ice is so refreshing and will be great to wear during the summer. I will be holding onto my decant and may end up getting more before this one goes away.

I have had a decant of this kicking around, but it took me a while to properly wear it rather than just dab on a test swipe. Now that my local weather is hot and muggy, this scent is a refreshing elixir.

When first applied, I find the camphor and eucalyptus most prominent. That sounds like a bracing, medicinal combination, but I feel like they mellow each other out a little bit. The eucalyptus isn't so green, and the camphor doesn't quite have that sinus-clearing quality. It is certainly cool. Yet riding alongside these icy notes is a bright citrus note, which I find almost mouth watering in its juicy sweetness.

As it dries, I momentarily smell something I interpret as musky, but that rises and retreats within a few minutes. Then, the herbal sage and verbena rise and blend with the eucalyptus and camphor. After an hour or so, this has faded to a sweet amber-verbena scent that wears close to the skin (my S.O. couldn't really smell it when asked). It does warm up quite a bit.

The dry down reminds me of Since There's No Help from the 2021 Lupers, but I like this better (because there is no tea note).

Still, I find this too sweet and short-lived. A nice momentary pick-me-up.

Edited by wordortwo
update