Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
erinface

BPAL for a newbie

Hi everyone! 

I introduced myself over on the newbie thread, but figured it was more appropriate to ask for recommendations ... in the recommendations area. If this is an unnecessary repost, please let me know! I'm still trying to learn the forums. :)

I'm hoping for a list of scents to try based on my current favorites notes: incense, carnation, mint, cherry, clove and marshmallow. I'm not big into dirt, anise or 99% of florals. I can tolerate patchouli in small doses.

Thanks in advance!

:welcome:

I was thinking The Caterpillar, but you should probably take a look at reviews due to your dislikes: 

Maybe The Bow & Crown of Conquest would be more your speed? https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/shop/general-catalog-perfume-oils/sin-and-salvation/come-and-see/the-bow-crown-of-conquest/

Morocco sounds like another good bet: https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/shop/general-catalog-perfume-oils/wanderlust/morocco/

Hi @erinface! I am new too, but a bit obsessive, so I have blind bought several bottles to figure out what I like. Here are some that you may like:

• Gingerbread Mummy. This is a current Limited Edition (LE) so, not sure how long it will be avialble.
  • The Antikythera Mechanism
  • Hellfire
  • Anathema
  • Pink Champagne (also an LE)
  • Everyday You Play with the Light of the Universe (LE)
  • Bastet (has cardamom instead of clove, but it's very warm and approachable)

People who have been around much longer than I can probably help more, but I love all of the ones above.

Welcome!

Edited by katharina

Hi! A fellow forum newbie chiming in, but I've tried a lot of the general catalogue. I think you are in luck as those notes are used heavily. One thing I've found with BPAL in regards to their florals, is that so many varieties of even the same flower are used so there may be floral notes, but it won't necessarily  be a "screaming" floral (I'm also a non-floral person, but I'm learning to tolerate more with heavier notes). I just wanted to throw that out there. Here are a few of my faves that share some of those notes.

Alisz - Spun sugar, frankincense, white rose, mallow root, red currant, and vanilla mint. (this is a lovely vanilla, marshmallow, sugar cloud that is tempered by the frankincense)

Dracul (GC) - Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom. (I'd definitely suggest getting an imp first, but this is clove and mint on me. Much brighter than I expected)

Queen Alice (GC) - Carnation, posies, and white amber with a hint of inky treacle. (I really amp the carnation in this, so I don't detect the posies. It's nearly a carnation single note)

Bathsheba (GC) - carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk. (I second trying Morocco, this is her younger sister)

Edited by Anna-Marina
spelling

GC: Morocco  (carnation), Blood Kiss (cherry & clove), Bengal (clove), Plunder (clove)

LE, but currently available: A Vigilant Eye at Heaven's Center (mint), Gingerbread & Leather (clove), Let America Be America Again (clove)

I also like clove, hence so many recs. I'm also not crazy about florals, so I didn't think I would like Morocco, but I guess I like carnation, too. I like pairing it with Plunder for extra spiciness.

For cherry, GC blends you might try include Blood, Kabuki and King of Hearts.  Seconding Blood Kiss, a favorite of mine.  Also The Cherry-Tree Carol among the current Yules.  And since the Liliths are still around, Gen Z and 2020 Aesthetic.  Last year's lupers had a cherry section which was great!  And I forgot Phantom Calliope, another favorite of mine.  Cherry with cardamom.  

Edited by Lucchesa

Sign in to follow this