Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Leave Her, Jonny

A sailor’s love song to her ship: Laotian oud, white cedarwood, sweet black patchouli, spiced rum, blackened fig, and coconut.

OOf. First one here, huh? 

In bottle: the black patch and spiced rum make their way out of the darkness. This one is strong and reminiscent of a man's cologne with a splash of something feminine- even fresh out of the mail it is delightfully full-bodied

On: My my! Who took Doleful Pipe Organ out on a couple of dates and watched them grow up into this scent-sational aroma! To my nose, the oud balances superbly with what comes across as a rendition of "Body Remember" plus a delightlfully hard working sailor chap's cologne! I tend to amp sweet notes, and stay away from them myself, but the headiness and contrast within the scent is simply stunning. Long wear and pronounced throw. 

I feel like Geena Davis in Cutthroat Island!!!

This is gorgeous -- rich, bold, and beautifully blended. On my skin, I'm getting predominantly woods and patchouli (it's a smoky, elegant patch, not stanky at all) rounded out by the coconut and fig, which are reading as chewy and slightly fruity, but not particularly sweet or foodie. The rum stays in the background for me, which is great because I don't usually do well with booze notes! Overall impression: swashbuckling captain sailing the Caribbean and looking HAWT while she does it.

So, this reminds me of everything I love about A Flaming Sword? (And I love Flaming Sword A LOT.)

Upon further thought, that makes a lot of sense; they both have oudh, coconut, and patchouli in common, and, for whatever reason, A Flaming Sword has always smelled like warm and fragrant cedarwood to me. Leave Her has just got a bit less smolder, and a bit more sweetness, if that makes sense.

This is incredibly beautiful, nothing like I expected it to be, and something I am definitely upgrading from decant to bottle. It's such a warm, grounded, comforting smell.

Edited by AprilB

Spiced rum, figgy coconut, and a whiff of woody patchouli. This one smells like each of its elements, its vaguely tropical, vaguely woody, and rummy. On me, this sort of meanders into slightly masculine territory. Great throw and wear length.

In the bottle: Soft, figgy-sweet spiced rum and cedar. Mmmm.

Wet on my skin: Goes on the same, with a soft, fig-sweetened spiced rum and a really nice cedar. Mmmm.

Dry: I will preface by saying that my skin usually does great things with patchouli and oudh, so I was expecting this to be good. I was absolutely right. This is very well blended, with each note contributing about equally to the whole of the spicy, woody, slightly chewy-sweet scent! This is definitely a dark, chewy fig and coconut rum sort of sweetness, not a sugary sweetness, and it's also gloriously warm and spicy. I'd say it is in the same "scent-mood" family as Palmyra, Gluggagaegir, Mary Read/Anne Bonny (layered together), and St. Clare. Warm, spicy, fragrant, and a bit on the masculine side of the unisex center of the perfume spectrum. This is just gorgeous on me, and I can definitely see this going into the more frequent wear rotation! I bet some aging and summer warmth will make it even better, too!

My little empty bottle smelled Christmasy! Sweet pine sap, berries, spices. 

The dregs of it are still nicely spiced once it hits the skin - love the spiced rum! - but the manly cologney elements are taking over, and I'm kind of getting potpourri vibes from it too. Like something really strongly scented but also a little fake. Lots of wood, and the fig and coconut are coming out now too, a more woody ghost of the Coconut, Smoked Vanilla, & Fig trio. That brings this away from Christmas and into tropical land. Still fruity, but less berry and way more tropical potpourri. It's not suntan lotion levels of coconut, it's a lot more subtle than that.

On the whole, though, it's something I'd expect in a bowl in the bathroom than to put on my skin. (Sorry!)  I'm loving the spiced rum and some of the woodiness (the oud is a gentle one and the cedar lets other notes speak just fine), but this particular combination isn't doing it for me. I think those who like that trio and who enjoy woods too would dig this one.

I agree with @DiesMali: this is magnificent, & definitely related to my beloved St. Clare.  If you love oud, rum & wood, do not miss Leave Her, Jonny!

In the bottle, to me…spiced rum and fig. A good shot of rum in a dark jar next to juicy figs.

Initially on the skin, spiiiiicccced rum, with fig in place of the real boozy part of the rum. Patchouli isn’t detectable to me as a scent by itself, but it holds the perfume down and darkens it a shade.

It has a period of time where it smells like a Kirkland’s, or some other darkened, chic furniture place with stock landscape art. Maybe potpourri. Not a common potpourri, but nonetheless.

The perfumey stage starts to trail into a spiced rum with a mild patchouli edge with some coconut floating around. I like this stage alright. 

It does have an early hollywood, vintage perfume vibe to it that I kind of dig. It’s more luxurious once the coconut enters the scene.

Dries down into very little other than lightly spiced fruit.

It is just a bit close to something “in a bowl” as a poster said above…so I don’t know that I’ll keep it.

Edited by Bassmastadroog

I love this so deeply, especially after letting it age for a few months.  It starts off like a sweetened bay rum cologne (all clove spicy and men's cologne-like) with dry wood and a tiny hint of caramelized rum sweetness.  Over the hours, the sweet, warm and earthy patchouli, the creamy coconut, woody-sweet fig and an edge of salt start to come through, though, and then it's even more wonderful.  I'm not sure where I get that saltiness from, but it's like dry, salt-crusted wood with spicy bay rum cologne, lots of wonderful sweet notes, and warm, cozy earthiness.  I love sweetened patchouli scents and this is so unique and unusual in the best ways.

A crave-worthy savory, summery, ruggedly tropical spiced oud blend perfect for bringing an adventurous seafaring vibe to indoor, air conditioned, landlocked environments.

Jumping in the water here. Can I mention that I love this series so much! Wasn't sure any of the scents would work for me, so I pretty much took a chance with this one and i'm glad I did. It's fabulous, leans a little bit on the masculine side, yet refined and elegant. The rum is beautifully balanced and not overpowering the wood notes. Soft yet strong, velvety and delicious, the patchouli is sweet and intoxicating, just luscious. I will cherish this little bottle and the way it makes me feel like a sexy, girl pirate ready to take on the peg leg blokes. 

Edited by Jenjin

I thought this would be darker from the scent notes! I mostly get coconut in the throw throughout wear. The oudh isn't indolic and the cedar is smooth, and both of these notes, along with the patchouli are strongest when first applied. Then the coconut and fig amp up, and a bit of rum joins in and adds some more sweetness, so it veers into a tropical phase where these notes just rest on a bed of resins and patchouli.

While I wouldn't opt to wear something this coconut-heavy, this is nicer than I thought it would be based off the notes, so don't let the oudh scare you away if the rest of the scent is calling to you!

Man, I knew I was gonna love this one. The laotian oud and white cedarwood have teamed up and are doing wonderful things. Leave her, Johnny is remarkably special to me because it melds 'northern forest' and 'summery tropics' together into this unique fantasy vacation. Classy and inspired!

Edited by frontierpsychiatrist

GASP this. Is. BEAUTIFUL. 

I was afraid the coconut was not gonna work for me, as I'm generally just not a fan of that, but this is indeed a very sexy, sexy pirate scent. I think this works that way for both sexes, though yes somewhat masculine. Juicy, sweet, fresh, slightly spicy, and a strong "woody" base. This is a repeat arm sniffer (even though the throw is good enough that I smell it throughout the day).

If I can manage to get a second bottle in the future I will. :wub2: