Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

A Hundred Years Ago

A woody, sea-crisp scent, sun-blasted and creaking: green vetiver and ocean mist with a blast of elemi, verbena, and wild bergamot.

A Hundred Years Ago is a fresh, green, sweet, and almost minty blend. I wouldn't guess there was any vetiver in this: the green vetiver simply smells soft and green to me. It blends with sweet citrus from the verbena and bergamot, and a fresh, slightly ozone, almost minty sea mist lays over it all.

If I had a bottle of this, I'd put it with my other ocean scent, but it could fit well among other spa scents for any who group things that way. It actually reminds me most of A Balmy 26 Degrees (green tea, aloe, eucalyptus, icy lemon, and French sage), which I tore through a bottle of. This is different, but there's a similar vibe...

A Hundred Years Ago stays very close to the skin on me through its life and, unfortunately, it also fades quickly. 

Green, yes! Fresh, a bit sweet, and classic cologne vibe from that vetiver + verbena + bergamot aromatic.

Like @Casablanca, I didn't get much life out of it. It disappeared quickly and left traces of dry wood/old books paper. But little throw and short-lived on me. 

Very fresh and green in the decant, with a blast of citrus and salt to brighten things up. The citrus fades fast on me, and I'm left with green notes that are just this side of Irish Spring on my skin, but the saltiness keeps it from going into full soap territory. I miss the citrus notes, but it's pleasant greens and salt air on my skin. Not sure if this is going to be a bottle purchase for me, but I'll keep using my decant.

In the bottle: Really salty, marine men's cologne, with very strong aquatic note. On, wet: A-ha. The wood opens up a bit and the citrus herb notes start to untangle and smooth out--lots of verbena and vetiver with the bergamot coming out strong, with lots of throw. Drydown: This settles back into the skin and generally calms down to a more unisex spa-like thing, but alas it fades rather quickly after that. Still very nice though.

Imp: Fresh! Kind of citrusy.

Wet: Verbena and bergamot.

Semidry: ...what is this minty business? It's not a toothpaste or candy mint but I was not expecting that in here. 

Dry: There is a distinct salt and soap transition happening.  Irish Spring or Coast? The citrus is back to tamp that down.

Salty aquatic cologne. I feel like Irish Spring went to sea, and decided to become a pirate. Great throw and wear length.

I love Cooling Breeze and A Balmy 26 Degrees, so I was hoping A Hundred Years Ago would be in that vein. Alas, it is not! Where the others are fresh and vibrant herbs, A Hundred Years ago quickly goes soap. Specifically, a strongly detergent-y blend like Dawn. So a man who washes everything including himself in Dawn dish soap would be a very apt picture of this blend dries down. It's way too detergent-y for me; I think that same white musk in a lot of the strongly 'soapy' blends later is in A Hundred Years as well, and for me it just completely swallows up the other notes. I can't even smell anything else in it.

In the bottle this is a very light, sweetish sea breeze. Lightly salty and a I swear I get a touch of bright lime (looking at the notes it is the bergamot!). It's a sunny day on the sand vs the dark briny depths. Very fresh. On my skin it is very much the same. This is definitely a not smoky vetiver, and overall probably the gentlest vetiver I've tried. There's definitely a green quality to the scent but not intensely grassy. As it wears it gets harder for me to distinguish the notes. I would describe the overall effect as gentle but fresh and bracing. 

Out of this collection, the description of A Hundred Years Ago spoke to me the most. This is a strongly citrus-y scent followed by sea salt and wooden planks. It really evokes being on a ship in bright sunlight without land in sight and I love that.