Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Chocolate Fruitcake

My dad used to love fruitcake and always bought good ones at the holidays, not those hard as a rock fruitcakes that everyone hates. The ones he brought home were chock full of candied fruits and nuts with moist sweet cake surrounding them.  When I first applied from the decant, the scent of those sweet candy fruits hit my nose and took me right back to that forgotten memory! The only difference is that this sweet cake is made with chocolate batter!  Dries down and stays closer to my skin after a half hour.  Foodies should love this.

This smells like a chocolate muffin. I'm not really getting fruitcake. I'm getting basically moist sweet chocolate cake batter. Not as sweet, but definitely chocolate. Good throw and wear length.

Chocolate with brandy, maraschino cherries and a little spice. Such a cheerful scent, and the brandy element makes it appealing and not so much a kiddy gourmand.

I've never had fruitcake, so this doesn't really smell like it to me; it's more of a dark chocolate covered sugary fruit scent! The chocolate note is super strong when it's wet, but is softens a little bit for some spice and the fruits to come through. The throw is really good, too!

Won't be upgrading because it's a little heavier on the chocolate note than I'd like. But it is delicious and I'm enjoying testing it out today. :D

I'm a huge fruitcake fan. My family makes it every year. I even made one for the first time this past year. I've never tried a chocolate version, though.

My initial take when trying this out...this is Jólabókaflóðið! It's dry, dusty chocolate, with a hint of nuts! Smelling them together, one of each hand, so I have a better comparison. Chocolate fruitcake has an underlying hint of candied fruits, whereas Jola has more hearth smoke and candlewax. Chocolate fruitcake has a tiny pine aspect that hangs out around the edge, but maybe it's just clove. As they drydown, smelling them up close is very different. I guess there's something in waft from my neck, when there's a bit of distance and time, they end up smelling similar. I want to blame it mostly on my nose. At the end, the way my nose interprets the chocolate in the waft is the only way it's similar. At the end, Chocolate fruitcake doesn't pack as much of a boozy, fruity punch as I was expecting. It's still lovely and light, and wearable. If I want fruitcake, I'll reach for my beloved ICD-37.

Wet: Chocolate cake with maraschino cherries! Stronger on the cherry scent than the chocolate. Really into this.

Dry: This flipped - the chocolate cake  scent is much stronger than the cherries now. 

The wet stage was excellent, and for that alone I'll keep my decant.

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten chocolate fruitcake. This is delicious! Chocolate, cherry, maybe some fig. Chocolate and dried fruits soaked in brandy. Ultimately justa quiet fruity chocolate. Medium wear length and no throw on me, but that’s pretty normal with my skin. I’m so glad I finally got to try this!