Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Lavender and White Chocolate Madeleines

Pulled from a stack of recipes I keep in a folder called “Things I Will Never Be Skilled Enough to Bake.”

Edited by Belladonnastrap
Whoop random word in title!

This is my favorite scent that I've tried from the Yule update, but I knew that it would be. Anyone that loves the Lilith lavender scents need this. It has that lavender accompanied by white chocolate and the lightly buttery, soft, sponge-like madeleine. It's so comforting, and it could be used as a daytime or nighttime lavender scent. If I had to compare it to previous scents, I'd say it's most like Carry Me or Lilith's Love Low (a Lilith creation that rarely ever pops up since the recipe was lost). It's daintier than Two Frames, because the cake note in that one is much stronger.

I doubt one bottle will be enough. :heart: 

In the decant: White chocolate and buttery cookie first, with lavender coming in after. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's so very much buttery -- and just a touch almondy? -- cookie. As it dries, the white chocolate and lavender both come out, adding depth and complexity to the scent. It stays pretty true after that, slightly sharp lavender and sweet white chocolate over a buttery cookie base. 

As someone who is not the biggest fan of lavender or cookies as perfume notes, this is surprisingly nice. The combination of notes is really well balanced, so it's not overly sharp or sweet or cake-y in any one direction. Definitely, if the notes call to you, this is going to be a winner -- and even if you'd discounted it before, trying it out might pleasantly surprise you! 

Upon opening the bottle, I was hit with the smell of Pepperidge Farm cookies. Nice, but not what I want to smell like. Luckily, it became much more defined and the chocolate and lavender lay right on top of each other. Very cozy, but I don't feel the need for a second bottle.

This is so lovely. I wore this for bedtime last night and my husband said “Cookies? Is that cookies?”. The cookie note is prominent on my skin, a lovely buttery crisp. The white chocolate envelops the lavender so its soft and creamy. I agree similar to Carry Me as @doomsday_disco says above, but I do get MORE cookie here. Backup worthy! Good throw, but one that I can slather. I think from BPal this is my favorite gourmand lavender blend. I love that the lavender never overwhelms the blend, and that it stays a gourmand atmospheric throughout wear. 

I really like this too.  There's a really short phase right at the beginning that worried me a little, kind of flat and...dusty or something.  But after about 20 or 30 minutes, it smooths out a lot and is just lovely. This part reminds me of TKO but sweeter and more gourmand.  This could be such a nice bedtime scent like the reviewer mentioned before me.  It's incredibly well balanced.

This is an incredible, fruity lavender backed up by a warm, sweet cookie. Initially the two are very distinct scents, but they meld beautifully on the skin. The lavender calms down and the white chocolate comes out. It's not overly sweet or overly floral, just very gentle.

Sweet-herbal lavender over a sugary butter cookie. Creamy white chocolate smooths the whole, helping everything blend. 

On the wand, and in the first few seconds on my skin, I also smell a little whiff of red-purple fruit jam, something like red currants, black currants, or blackberries. I wish that lingered on my skin longer, because it's quite pretty. Not what I expected.

Regardless, this is a sweet, kind, gentle blend. The lavender keeps it out of the zone of pure gourmand, but it's a close thing.

This could easily become a bottle.

Started like toasty caramelized sugar bits of crispy cookie crumbs. Husband thought it smelled like butter rum life savers. The lavender came through for a minute as an herbal spa-like version, distinct and not sweet like TKO.

Now, maybe I'm not be the gourmand lover I thought I was. Or maybe it's the BPAL vanilla note or cookie vibe that doesn't work for me. But after half an hour or so, it turned more tangy sour burnt with a plasticky chemical aroma. Something about the caramelly sugar in this and other cookie scents turns into burnt plastic on me, and it's heartbreaking, because vanilla can be my absolute favorite scent. I had a similar experience with Waiting. It's probably just me, and I'm so bummed to be experiencing this as a pattern. Thankfully there are lots of other notes I'm finding work surprisingly well, so maybe it's a wash.

Lavender and white chocolate fade into a very realistic madeline batter. After about an hour, it really smells strongly of madelines. And then it dries to a very faint madeline with lavender. Medium throw and wear length. Smells like a delicious cookie.

This starts out smelling very similar to Two Frames---herbal lavender doused in creamy sugar---but the two dry down differently. Whereas Two Frames is mostly about the buttercream frosting, this scent is a bit more complex and dries down into a fluffy madeline cookie with a hint of vanilla extract. It's a pretty, delicate scent and doesn't have a ton of throw or longevity (at least not at this stage in its life), but it's definitely delicious and amazingly accurate. Yum!

Wet: Unsurprisingly, lavender and white chocolate! Pretty close to a 50/50 split. This reminds me of a fancy chocolate bar. 

Dry: Dang, this actually smells better now! An incredibly creamy white chocolate and lavender scent. I'm getting the tiniest bit of madeline/cookie scent that wasn't there initially, but I think the white chocolate is overpowering it a bit.

Really gorgeous, and I'll need a bottle of this.

Lavender and slightly waxy white chocolate. When it dries down, it reminds me of Sugar Cookie. The chocolate note isn't very strong, I smell the madeleines and vanilla notes more. It smells really nice, I just wanted some more lavender and a stronger white chocolate note.

I'm probably not going to upgrade this since I've got quite a few chocolate blends. Will definitely hold onto the decant!

this starts off with a strong butter cookie sort of thing with lavender, then the white chocolate comes through more. i'm not big into foody scents but this one sounded lovely and i am starting to get more into white chocolate scents. i like the lavender and chocolate but the cookie part is just way too buttery for me, and i seem to amp that note the strongest. oh well...i'm sure it's beautiful on the right person. 

I bought this one one of those wild whims I'm prone to when ordering LE's and it had more likelihood to go wrong than right, but I do love me some white chocolate and the idea of white chocolate madelines sounded lovely.  Lavender is just so herbal and strong on my skin.

I can't tell if this scent is light or if it's my decreased sense of smell, but this stays close to the skin and doesn't last terribly long.  At first, the lavender is the dominant note, though there's a nice creaminess from the white chocolate (which smells like white cholate, not milk chocolate as BPAL scents sometimes do).  As it dries, the lavender fades into the background and it's mostly white chocolate madelines.  I get just a little cakiness from the madelines and the lavender is a surprisingly nice addition.

Surprise winner!

I was a little hesitant about this one, but I'm so glad I got it! I don't do lavender much - I associate it with my grandma, and that's nice and nostalgic, but I'm not sure I want to smell like her house! - but I love baked goods and chocolate notes, so...

In the bottle and on first application: herbal lavender over a hint of sweetness; hmm, this may not go well...

Just a minute or so after that, on my skin: ooh, lovely white chocolate and vanilla cookie, blossoming upwards! And a hint of sweet purple-hued lavender that keeps it from being purely a white chocolate-cookie scent. I actually really like this on me, so far!

After watching a couple of episodes of Castlevania: mmm, it's soft and sweet and lasting nicely - I wouldn't say huge throw, but every so often I move my arm and a little waft of sugary vanilla cream lavender sweetness billows up for a sec. This is really pretty and somehow soothing, and now I'm thinking I might be a lavender convert if it comes with these sweet creamy notes - maybe I should've also tried Two Frames!

Awesome Husband comment: "you smell like a cookie! that's a good thing."

I love having a wide variety of lavender blends to use as sleepytime scents, and this will surely be one. But really, I’ll wear it anytime. The calming lavender is a lovely contrast to the creamy white chocolate and buttery cookie notes. I got a bottle but I may need a backup!  Also, I’m dying to make real lavender-white chocolate madelines now!

I love this scent! It turned me onto Lavender scents in general. That said this is a delicious buttery Madeleine cookie with white chocolate balancing the lavender and cookie. It’s hard to describe but it’s just lovely. I feel like Marie Antoinette would wear it or eat the cookies at least! Beth I need this recipe lol 😋

At first this is all astringent lavender, but as it dries the lavender sinks into a pool of thick white chocolate. The madeleines smell so buttery and rich, almost coconutty. There is a nice contrast between the herbal lavender and the decadent cookies. Both yummy and soothing, I really like it!