Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Meigetsu Ya

Oh, I wanted to like this. Citrus! Frost! They usually go so well together! But the mandarin on me is coming off as a blend of orange Starburst and possibly bathroom cleaner. It's not for me. 

I love red mandarin. This is a bright and juicy red mandarin -- like the mandarin version of a blood orange, where the sweet citrus has that bit of a raspberry-ish twist.

The frost has a bit of sweet mint but also leans toward clean freshness, like eucalyptus. Somehow it also gives the impression of being a light frosty coat, like a layer of dust or a sugar coating.

This is a simple, likable blend, and I'm low on snow note perfumes. 🙂

I purchased this one based on Tom and Galen's video review! I was expecting a frigid cold, refrigerated blood orange, and it sounded so clean and refreshing.  Had to get it even though it sounded simple.

On the skin, it is not quite what I expected, but still pleasant. The frost on this one manifests as candy, almost like a sugar coated mandarin. It is sweeter than I expected and less bitter/astringent.

It is *slightly* cleaning product on me, but not intolerably so. As it dries down, I am getting the barest hint of that powdery snow white note no one can place. It does kind of feel like one of the snow white hybrids offered a few years ago.

This one is crying out to be layered. It is pretty and juicy on her own, but I feel like it needs something else to blossom on my skin. Maybe a sharp tea note or a yuzu?  I am curious to read how other fans wear this and what they pair it with, if anything. Personally, I could really get into this with a more bitter citrus underneath. A little more herbal and green.

This is a very girly orange, slightly nostalgic with a powdery candy undertone. It feels very young. Glad I got to try it!

Some ripe and juicy mandarins had a baby with Snow White* and this is it.

(*yes, the BPAL scent, not the fourteen-year-old Disney princess)

This was a surprise Yule hit for me. I am only starting to recognize the Lab's snow notes. To me, this is more the refreshing eucalyptus type snow, but with some sweetness. There is not a hint of Snow White's coconut snow to my nose. Starts off with a bright burst of chilled orange in the opening, then a long sweet musky dry down, orange-tinged and cuddly. Reminds me of a creamsicle (orange popsicle with a creamy center). It's happy, bright, and simple, a true mood elevator. 

Juicy red mandarins and a whiff of slushy snow. Huh, this may be the surprise sleeper hit of Yule 2020. This smells citrusy, fresh, and happy. LOVE IT.

Wet: Ooooo, fresh and sweet mandarins! Just on the border of becoming candy-like(which isn't a bad thing for me).

Dry: Oh man. I think I kind of love this? It's a super sweet, juicy mandarin scent. It reminds me of something I'd eaten (or drank?) before, but I can't put my finger on it.

TLDR; if you like sweet citrus scents, try this!

Like a couple other people've said, this is a surprise hit for me! I wanted more orange-type scents, and after I ended up loving Marshmallow Snow so much, I wanted more of the Lab's ice and snow note. This is really, really pretty - a sweet juicy mandarin orange, with just a touch of chilly frost, like eating an orange outside on an icy day. Nice throw, as well - this one's a big scent on my skin! I'm so glad I came back and got a bottle. 🙂

I can't believe I initially passed this over. It's basically an ice cold orange juice! It's amazing and delicious, had me craving some of the real thing for sure. If you love citrus notes, do not hesitate to try this. Sure to be a (Sunny) Delight in the warmer months. :tongue:

If you'd like it sweeter, layering with Marshmallow Snow would probably work well!

The frost note here is not really "cold" feeling - it's a nice sweet snow-like note, not the fir needle/pine kind of snow, but on my skin it leans warm rather than cool. The mandarin is stronger than I thought it would be - more like a blood orange, it's quite a deep dark citrus. Balanced with the sweetness of the frost, the mandarin really shines although every now and then I get a whiff of bathroom cleaner-ish orange which I don't love but that is fleeting. It doesn't quite cross over into candyland for me, but it's very close to the border. 

This one would be interesting to layer up with a rich vanilla to pimp the sweetness, or a nice dark patchouli to make it more earthy... and I think it would be amazing with some Snake Oil to add some musky spicy goodness. Definitely a good one for layering experiments!

Overall this is a nice, simple blend that's exactly what it says on the tin. Over time, it dries down to pretty much just the mandarin - the frost doesn't stick around for the duration.

It's a frosted sweet mandarin. Reminds me vaguely of the general catalogue "Carnal" oil. 

This one ends up as a sweet zesty mandarin with tiny shards of mentholated frost.

The red mandarin in this is so lovely! It goes on as strong and juicy. I thought it might go soapy because of the pith of the fruit that sometimes gets included with citrus notes, and because I didn't have a good experience with Red Mandarin, French Lavender & Juniper, but the mandarin plays really nicely here. I get what I think may be a slightly chilly, non-minty white musk accompanying it, and it definitely has a frozen citrus fruit quality.

I'll be hanging onto this decant to pair with The Geisha and the Samurai HG. :dance: 

Meigetsu Ya is brilliant streaks of orange, sparkling with freshness, & smoothed by a surprise vanillic tone, humming serenely beneath its vibrant melody. 

It’s genius for layering, and perfect for lifting the mood of the day.