Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Tonka Bean, Black Tea & Vetiver

Resinous black tea. Great throw on wet, and then it dries to a darker vetiver and tonka scent and its a skin scent at the moment. Low throw, low wear length.

The black tea here is dark and unsweetened; sort of like the tea in Dorian but without any sugar. The tonka is warm and resinous and skin-like, which lends a soft glow. The vetiver is barely there at all: whisper-quiet, gently grounding and cradling the scent with the idea of a faint smokiness. This makes the tea have sort of a darjeeling quality to it. Do not fear this vetiver, this vetiver means you no harm. 

The overall effect is like a warm, weak black tea scent -- an almost-smoked-lavender, almost-anise quality to it the way most of the Lab's tea note smells to my nose. Very low throw and wear length, as mentioned; it's there and it's gone. It's very delicate and pretty though, while it lasts.

This starts out with the vetiver and black tea vying to be the dominant note. It's dark, bittersweet, and a little smoky (if this a black tea, it might be a lapsang souchong), but the tonka is adding a subtle warmth and sweetness. The tonka eventually takes a back seat and I'm left with a dark, smoky black tea.

Why I bought this: I get on well with vetiver usually, and I like tea scents.
Wet: earthy tonka and tea leaves.
Dry: Mm! Mostly tonka, not gonna lie--what I'm learning from duets and trios is that one scent usually dominates in these on my skin--but it's a really nice tonka with just a whisper of tea and vetiver.

Magic in a bottle. Hygge magic. A soft blend upon arrival, but give it a few days to settle and the magic emerges, shyly and then in full force. What is this sorcery, you say? Let me tell you.

A top note of black tea is handed to you, a warm cup to cradle, warming you up from the day's chill and troubles and what may have ailed you. The spiced warmth of it seeps into your bones. Ahhh.

A perfect accompaniment in the middle note of tonka, slowly emerging as the star once the tea is set to the side table. The grown-up vanilla, tonka bean is not foodie but brings with it all the comfort of something sugary and delicious. Without being as literal as a plate of cake, its sweetness feels wholesome. The natural sweetness of a skin musk. This is the note that wafts from my skin for hours and hours. The magic!

Finally, the soft fuzzy blanket of baby vetiver tucks over your lap and wraps around you like a friend's hug. Yes, all the hugs please. I could cuddle under this blanket for hours.

This is my absolutely favorite scent to put on as soon as I get home. The perfect accompaniment to a lit candle, a plush armchair, a dark stormy afternoon, and a good book. Backup bottled and MIGHT need another one.

Cozy tea sweater. So glad I grabbed this one.

If you aren't sure about vetiver, this is a great one to try, because it's barely there - it's a supporting note, a warm smoothness under the tonka and the tea. No smoke, no stank, just delicious.

Decant. This was a little tea-sharp for me when it was released, but it's mellowed.  It's now a lovely dark tonka, with warm dried grassy notes from the tea and vetiver.  It's surprisingly black musk-adjacent.  Glad I got to try it.