Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Pomegranate Sufganiyot

I was afraid this might be all fruit- my experience with Blackcurrant Sufganiyot- and when I first opened the bottle, it was very tart.  Luckily, when I put it on my skin and let it dry, it became a very pretty, sweet blend.  The pomegranate was soft and bright, while the pastry provided a warm base.  This will be one I wear a lot, and not just in winter.

This is really nice! It's all tart red fruit and sugary dough, with the fruit being more forward. (Or at least, it is on me, but I tend to amp red currant and cranberry type notes). I definitely detect the pomegranate I smell in Mme Moriarty once the cranberry calms down. This is similar to last year's Fig & Cranberry Suf, but darker and less sweet because of the pomegranate (although the pastry note does add sweetness, so it's not all tartness). If you enjoyed the Fig & Cranberry Suf and Eat Me, or wished there was a more gourmand pomegranate scent, I'd definitely recommend this. I can also see myself wearing this outside of a winter/holiday context.

This was my first sufganiyot - I thought real hard about the raspberry one, but the lab's raspberry note does not generally work well on me, whereas the pomegranate does. This is absolutely delicious, desserty, tart and juicy red fruit. I smell more of the pastry in the bottle than I do on my skin, but it is definitely sugared fruit for baking rather than fresh cut.

Low throw - sticks close to the skin and fades pretty quickly, although a hint of it remains on the sleeves of my hoodie.

Wet: Pomegranate! Tart, rich, and sweet. The pastry note is there, but the pomegranate/red currant/cranberry mix is dominating.

Dry: The dough comes out more now, but that fantastic (and slightly less-sweet but just as tart) pomegranate jelly mix is still leading the way. DELICIOUS, and decent throw on me!

Fellow Sufganiyot lovers - you won't be disappointed!

My sufganiyot ranking is now: Blueberry, Pomegranate, Strawberry, Fig & Cranberry, Raspberry, Blackcurrant. 

I mean... It's a sufganiyot. Yum.

This has the cozy, sugary pastry scent you may have come to know and love. The fruit part is closest to that in Fig and Cranberry Sufganiyot, among the ones I've tried. This one lists a little cranberry, so it's not a stretch. I'm really enjoying the tart red jamminess of the pom-cran-currant combination.

I'm getting low on the Fig and Cranberry, and this would be a delightful next chapter in the sufganiyot narrative.

In the vial: Tangy pomegranate jelly and fried sugary pastry. This is a really nice combination, with the tanginess of the fruit offsetting the sugar overload of the dough. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's the same as in the decant. As it dries, a little of the tartiest tartness -- maybe the cranberry? -- fades, mellowing the fruit jelly note just a bit. The dough also takes on a quality of... if you've had a warm, fresh donut that's just been rolled in sugar? Yes, like that. 

This is possibly my favorite sufganiyot and is honestly pretty delightful. I'm not the hugest bakery or fruity perfume person, but this combines the best of both of these qualities in a way that really highlights the other. I'd purchased this decant for the fun of testing it, not really believing I'd want a full bottle -- and I might still not, but it is definitely under consideration. 

At the very least, I'm going to need to test the decant again to pay more attention to wear length. (The throw is low on me, so there's not so very much that my skin can afford a lot of fading.) 

I really wanted to like this, but the donut dough ends up smelling more like play doh once it touches my skin and the cranberry does an overwhelming hostile takeover.  I don't have a good record with berries.

It blows that something more or less universally loved doesn't work for me at all, but what can ya do?  At least I didn't spring for a full bottle.

In the imp this is all sweet syrupy pomegranate and cranberry, with just a hint of tartness that is mouthwatering. On the skin the warm, doughnutty goodness comes out. Fresh and just rolled in sugar. So delicious. This aspect takes over the jelly for a minute, but it comes back. Delectable. 

Wow! This is so RED. In my decant, it's bright, tart, and sweet red fruits mixed with a lovely soft dough smell. On my skin, these fruits are amazing. It's half fresh, half cooked fruits, and they are very bright. As it dries, this really smells like a jelly-filled doughnut, heavy on the jelly. This is probably my favorite suf I've tried so far.

Sweet and slightly powdery pomegranate and cranberry jelly and glazed donuts. It's very delicious and my review is not doing it justice. The donut part does resemble play doh a little bit after drying like another reviewer mentioned, but the fruits really overpower that scent so I don't mind it. 

Really the only con is that the throw is on the low side. This is amazing, and now I'm dying to try past year's sufganiyot scents. :lovestruck: 

Jammy gobs of sugared, tart pomegranate goo out of the bottle are crammed into a fluffy fried dough once applied to the skin. The scent experience is like eating a jelly doughnut in reverse.

the Strawberry version of this, from a few years ago, is one of my top-20 BPAL scents. i adore it.

this...   ok. when i was little i adored Strawberry Shortcake. to be honest i still do.  some of her friends were a little odd.  but this? this smells to me exactly the way the Raspberry Tart doll did.
like somewhere between blueberry and blackberry, with sweet pastry.  almost delicious, but not quite (because i don't like raspberries).

I love many of the Sufganiyot scents, but this one may be my favorite. The astringency of the pomegranate perfectly balances the buttery pastry and it's just perfect

Sweet sugary pastry and bright red tart fruit! I love all the Sufganiyot scents, and this one is delicious - maybe slightly more tart than some previous Sufs (Blueberry is still my favorite), but that's balanced out by the sugar, and this is just a delight - it makes me smile.

Awesome Husband (without being told what scent): "Sweet jelly donut!" 😃

I really adore the first fifteen minutes of Pomegranate Suf. The pomegranate has an amazing dark red smokiness that is so unique to the Sufganiyot family of scents. To call it "tart" would be to make it sound too bright. This is a rich, dark bite of fruit, distilled down into a delicious filling with the right amount of piquancy and sweetness. Swirled around it are the traditional Suf elements, which can read as pastry, donut, or in this case it's almost the lab's eggy cheesecake which makes my mouth water, it's so good.

In the first fifteen minutes, I'm convinced I need a bottle of this. It's so good! It's like Madame Moriarty put on her baker's hat and made some Sufganiyot! So why don't I have a bottle of this? It's because the powdered sugar completely swallows up the pomegranate within that first hour, leaving little of the delicious snappy fruit and instead enveloping you in poofy sugary sweetness. It is so, SO sweet. And I like sweet things. But I think this could have used perhaps a touch of a base note to bind with the pomegranate (the bready patchouli from Bloody Mary Bloody Mary?) and keep it around longer.

Frankly, this baby dries down to exactly like any of the other sweet Sufganiyots that poof into saccharine overload. It is not very different than Fig & Cranberry Suf after those first crucial minutes. I already have a bottle of that one, so alas Pomegranate is not getting upgraded. Don't be fooled by its wet state! This is definitely one to reserve judgment about until the drydown is complete.

I thought I had written a review on this and it looks like instead I just shared my thoughts to a small group of friends. I agree with Starbrow In that the first few minutes of the scent is glorious. I get more cranberry than pomegranate and what I get over all is a tartness that is almost sour even on the tongue to smell. It is amazing, it is authentic. So while I am thinking of how amazing this is and how incredible that the lab so perfectly captured cranberry suddenly it is fleeting and gone. It is a good read current. Soft and foodie. But for me, the pomegranate it’s self which stays around for the longest of the where time is very candle like. Like an expensive potpourri.

My favorites of the sufganyiots before trying this one, are strawberry, raspberry, and black currant. These are so glorious and foodie heaven. I like cranberry and fig somewhat liked but not enough to have a full bottle. Blueberry is too grape bubble gum on my skin but was super fun to test.  I’d prefer all of those to this one at this time. I have a partial in bottle and I’m going to age it to see if maybe some of that chemical note in the final dry down dissipates with time.

If you can find a Decant of the scent definitely try it just so you get the chance to experience that top note that is so tart, so ripe, so festive and puts you such in mind the of Christmas. It is worth it to hang onto my partial even if it doesn’t age to get that experience any time I’m longing for Christmas.

I have a ridiculous backlog of scents to test and review, but I put this on for an initial testdrive today and it made my mouth water. I think I need a backup bottle already... 😍

Hopes & fears? Expecting this to be a sweet bakery scent with lots of jelly note. Afraid it might not have any bakery notes and be all tartness. Hoping for redcurrant since that's a favorite of mine.

Sniffs: All tart cranberry and a hint of currant. Quite astringent and smells pretty sour.

Wet: Cranberry-pomegranate jelly. Extremely sweet, like eating a spoonful of jelly filling. Mouthwatering and also a little nauseating.

Drydown: Bakery notes come through a bit. Smells to me a bit more like shortbread or similar, rather than jelly donut. (But I'm not mad at all about that!) The jelly also mellows down a bit. Still super sweet. The cranberry calms down a bit and pom comes forward. Extremely light on the redcurrant.

Dry: Very well-rounded and almost exactly like the description. I'd say (on my skin) it's more like a pomegranate shortbread tart with a bit of cranberry and the tiniest hint of redcurrant.

Later on: TBD!

[Note to self: add last traces]

Edited by Zaedra

Got this as a frimp from a decant circle. I didn't think this kind of scent would be a win for me...and I was correct. It's all red fruit - exactly as it describes, not for me, but perfect for folks who want to smell like juicy, red fruits.