Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

The Cherry-Tree Carol

Received a partial decant of this in a swap. I'm pretty stoked to review it because I loved the idea for this scent but shied away from getting a bottle or decant of it myself. 

In the decant: First, it's sugary red cherry, then an undercurrent of cherry wood. The longer I sniff, the more I can detect a myriad of stuff swirling in the background. When I recapped the decant after sniffing -- before I actually applied the oil to my skin -- I caught a whiff of rose petals and what might be powdery myrrh. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's cherries and berries, backed by cherry wood. As it dries, it becomes a lot more about rose petals over cherry wood. Then the resins come out, and it's rose petals and powdery frankincense over a cherrywood base that's gone greatly into the background. In this stage, at least, the resins are very powdery on me, to the point where I almost sneezed -- twice! -- when sniffing my arm. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the frankincense and maybe myrrh making the powder and the amber amping it up on me (amber plays that way with my skin chemistry). Fortunately, the phase of overwhelming powder dies down quick, and I'm left with rose over soft resins over cherrywood. I can't swear to you that there's zero trace of cherries or berries, but if I didn't know the scent description, they are not notes that I'd call to mind from sniffing the settled scent. 

Once settled, it reminds me of... a Marchen I tried once, with rosewood as a note. (BRB, going to look it up....) Ah, lies. I'm thinking of The Little Wooden Doll, which is rose-infused amber and sandalwood. It's not quite the same, but the general flavor of rose gracing the resins and woods still holds. 

The Cherry-Tree Carol is quite different than how I imagined it would be on me, but still lovely. And, really, I shouldn't be too surprised, as my skin chemistry has amped the notes it tends to amp and has eaten the notes it tends to eat. It may well turn out to be decidedly different on someone else. (I think there's still enough in this partial for someone else to test, so I most certainly will be passing it on for someone else to enjoy.) 

This one is sooooooo pretty and just works with the concept so well for me.  I've always been fond of this Christmas carol, and can't hear the lyrics without hearing Joan Baez singing it.  But I digress. :D 

To my nose, The Cherry-Tree Carol is a perfect blend of sweet, red cherries and bright, pink roses.  The roses lie somewhere in between Pink Snowballs and Rapture Pig, but the other notes give it a bit more weight.  Overall, the fragrance is sweet, bright, gentle and somewhat perfumey.  I get just a touch of the cherry wood, but don't really smell the resins unless I really go sniffing for them.  It's very feminine smelling.  Very pink.  And I would say, you probably have to be a fan of florals to enjoy it, but I really think it's beautiful.  

Edited by VetchVesper

Bold red cherries blanketed in white and pink rose petals and backed by rosewood or pinkish wood. Lots of reddish-pink to go around in this one. 

In drydown, I find a little texture coming in from berries and frankincense, and then smoothness from the resinous amber. These notes add weight to the blend after a more whimsical opening. The scent also becomes heavily perfumey in this stage -- too much so for me.

This perfume reminds me of a red- and pink-painted wooden carousel at an incense carnival. 

Like cherry cola wet, but almost immediately rounds out once it settles on the skin. Still very cherry and red berry, but more balanced with woodier notes. I think it really represents the name and description. I used to be averse to cherry and berry scents on my skin, but have found myself increasingly drawn to them. I don't think this is a keeper for me, I think I need something more subtle, but a lovely experience to test.

Cherry, roses, and a whiff of resinous amber. This one smells very strongly of cherries on wet, and then as it dries, the roses peak out more. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: Roses, cherries and amber. Getting a strong baby powder scent going on as well.

Dry: Roses and amber. Powdery as heck. :( 

Cherry amber woods with a faint hint of berries. Eventually the rose overtakes basically every note but the cherry and cherrywood. I don't hate rose, but I definitely wasn't expecting to overtake notes such as frankincense and myrrh. I also agree with the baby powder comparisons. On it's own I'm not a big fan, but I could see this working with cherry blends!

In the imp: Cherries, berries, amber, and a slightly woody frankincense.

Wet: Rose and cherrywood, amber and incense. A very gentle and beautiful scent. 

Dry: Cherrywood, amber, myrhh, and dried roses. Generally I amp rose, but was very pleased to find it didn't dominate in this blend like some other reviewers have mentioned; the myrrh and woods kept it in check. Mild throw, average lifespan. 

Stars: ★★★★

This starts off as a wonderful cherry scent backed by resins and rose, quite different from The Red Queen due to the resins involved, but the cherry quickly burns off on me, and I'm left with berry-tinged resins and a bit of rose.

Cherry, come baaaack.