Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ok, I'll give it a shot.  This is really unusual and it's not reminding me of any other Bpal, although I haven't tried everything. 

I'm not getting traditional aquatic.  I have tried many aquatic Bpal scents and this doesn't really smell like those.

I think I am smelling mossy stone, and I think there might be some grapefruit in the mix too.  I'm not picking up on any icy water.  And I don't really smell hearth smoke, but there is a kind of softness that could be some hearth smoke way in the background.  It's not a scent I can pick apart easily, it's more like a blended accord that doesn't really morph much over time. 

I had to get over my expectations with this because it's really not what I expected, but it is definitely growing on me.  I may not always be in the mood for this but I think it's a clean scent, and might be really nice on a warm spring day.  

Edit to add: after a couple hours I think the hearth smoke is slooooowly making itself known, but it's so subtle I didn't really notice it happening.  Neat!

Edited by forspecial_plate

This is also very different than I expected it to be.

The first note that leapt out to me was yuzu. After that, I thought it could be white grapefruit, but yuzu was the first thing that came to mind. It's got that citrus note over the bright snow/ice note. I get a touch of mossy stones and a hint of smoke (really, just a hint) in the background, with the mossy stones being more noticeable with wear, yet never able to take on the yuzu or grapefruit snow. There is a 'watery' aspect to the scent after several hours of wear that is reminding me of another scent -- maybe Fuck This Heat or Kumari Kandam, but I am not sure. The water-like note has a touch of the sweetness of cucumber or melon to it on me.

Although it wasn't what I expected, Im Tiefen Winter smells pretty nice. Since I love yuzu and grapefruit and like the citrus snow, I'll be hanging on to my decant. But I'm not sure if I need a bottle.

I'm amping hearth smoke right off the bat! Citrusy smoke, bordering on savory, with mossy stones and the 'unconventional aquatic' note in the background. There's also something bright and fizzy that reminds me of cleaning products. Not what I expected at all, but if you like smoke notes and happen to amp it like I do here, this is a very pure, sparkling smoke that I haven't experienced before in BPALs.

I also got a bit of oil on my shirt sleeve: there, the smoke is very faint. It's fresh cucumber water.. it reminds me exactly of the smell of my local Indian grocery store.

(Note: I don't usually amp smoke, and I think the smoke note used in this scent is something different.)

Holy smoke!!! I amped the heck out of the smoke note on this as well.  To the point that I did not smell anything else.  Pity since it sounds lovely on some of you :(

This was one of my friend's decants. It opened with a burst of grapefruit and chilly yuzu, the latter of which reminded me of Snow Moon 2019. The wet phase was mostly about this cold citrus, but with a touch of moss toward the end.

Later, I found a little distant hearth smoke, quite separate from the citrus and bit of moss, but it didn't come out as much of a player on me.

This didn't click for me as an aquatic blend, but mainly as a cold, bright citrus.

Beauty! I did not get the smoke here until well after drydown -- I had the bright, juicy citrusy experience of some of the other people in the thread. But if I take a reaaally deep sniff, there is a little lick of smoke, which is so interesting! I love how the lab does these icy water notes... this one is evocative of chilliness and an icy river without being literal.

This reminded me a little of Teakwood, Moss, and Salt, but greener. It's really nicely blended, and leans more cologne-y than atmospheric.

In the bottle

A wet green with a hint of smoke

On my skin

A smoky brown immediately comes to prominence. After a minute or two the wet green insinuates itself to the fore.

Dry down

A mix of the wet green and smoky brown, with the green fading a bit into the background but still more predominant. The green gets softer as the scent wears and gradually everything mixes and settles into a soft sweetness.

Duration

This is an all day one on me.

Verdict ✔️

Im Tiefen Winter felt so warm and cozy on my skin, and I loved how it also lightly scented my clothes. I found myself tucking my nose into the top of my sweater just to smell how it was mixed with the fabric. There was still a hint of it this morning when I picked the sweater up to put it in the basket. It put a little smile on my face.

I do wish the smoky brown had stayed so forward as that is totally my jam but I'm happy with the scent nonetheless and glad I have a bottle.

I agree with rhonorv that it has a cologne vibe to it.

Edited by donnaehm

Whenever a scent reminds me of something else, I tend to zero in on that and I can't pick out any other notes. This one is all oakmoss which reads MEN'S COLOGNE, one of the fancy ones you can find at Sephora. Great throw and sticks to the skin like glue, even after washing and rubbing off with alcohol.

Stones and smoke over a bed of oakmoss. This smells stony and like the winter version of one of the Last Unicorn blends, I think it was Witch Cursed Castle. Its very gender neutral veering into masculine territory. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: A bright, citrus-y aquatic with smoke and stone.

Dry: Mainly just a sweet aquatic now, not getting much of a smoke or stone type of note.

While this is simple on me, I like that this isn't an aquatic that went the men's cologne route on me. It's nice! Not bottle-worthy, but hanging on to my decant.

Hmm.  A smoky aquatic.  This is interesting, and something I wouldn't have chosen for myself (I got decants of the whole series).  It does have a fair amount of oakmoss, and it does not turn into cleaning products, probably because of the anchoring smoke.  This has excellent staying power on me.  I'm not sure when I would choose to wear it, but I'm glad I got to try it. 

Interesting - at first I get aquatic and moss, and then the smoke is noticeable. Many different scents of nature! Unfortunately the aquatic gets too sweet and cloying on me, as it often does. Off to swaps for someone with different chemistry.

I so want to like the Lab's atmospheric aquatic, mossy scents, but they tend to smell like generic men's bath product on me. Unfortunately this one is no exception. The smoke is quite faint, I only smell it if I really stick my nose where I applied the scent.

There's a note in one of my favorite chaos theories that I've never smelled before - and it showed back up in this blend! I have zero idea what it is. This is atmospheric and a little cold, no smoke on my end.