Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Teakwood, Moss & Salt

Was kind of hoping someone else would get to this first, because I'm going to struggle to accurately depict this one. I absolutely love it -- it's a very fresh, clean, greenish scent -- but the notes blend in such a way that it's hard to pick them out individually. There's no corn-chip salt to be found here -- the salt note in this is more like fresh, cold salt air, adding a chilly cleanness to the teakwood and moss. The teakwood itself is strong-ish and is a little "polished wood" for a bit as it dries down, but it eventually settles to a distinct but not overpowering wood note. Overall, it's clean, fresh, greenish, and bracing. It reads gender neutral to me, but I can see how this would read more conventionally masculine depending on one's tastes.

I agree that there's a chilliness and a neutral-ness to this! It reminds me of wintertime at the beach. It's decidedly not aquatic or 'wet' smelling to me. It also reminds me of a specific lotion used at nail salons (which I love).

Wet it's a cold, tea-laced wood. Like the smell of seaglass. Dry I get a bit more of a camphor-type chilliness over the teakwood. This is really, really nice!

Strong camphor notes out front. Not a ton of moss or salt on the wet phase, at least not that can hold up to the blast o’ teak. Cold, bracing, almost effervescent forest notes; I never knew how much teak smelled like pine and juniper, but it does. As it dries it mellows out a bit -- it is still very cold and bracing, but now with a soapy quality. I do get the aquatic sense about it, but it’s more like a coniferous forest near an ocean; like a hiking trail in the PNW.

Unfortunately these type of camphor-forward notes will always remind me of medicine (campho-phenique and vicks, et al) so even after they’re mellowed out and blended, I still get the association of ... needing medicine. It’s very cool and detached, serious and clear-headed. Like a no-nonsense forest ranger with one of those great wool fisherman sweaters. If this is your vibe, I think you'll be pleased with it. 

Surprisingly awesome. I had no idea what teakwood was going to do on my skin, but I grabbed this for the moss, as I’ve realized it really just always works on me, at least in the dry down when it’s makes things all dustified.in the bottle, it smells salty and fizzy. Once it hits the skin, the wood and salt blends and it takes on a somewhat clean smell, like clean and sweaty skin if that makes sense. As it dries, it’s like a memory of cologne when the moss shows up. Very happy I tried this in a free sniffer that rode along with some other imps. I’ll be grabbing a bottle to split with my husband (if he’s lucky).

Teakwood, Moss and Salt is not what I expected.  I was actually hoping for what some describe as corn-chip salt, because that's an amazing note on me. Teakwood tends to turn almost caramel-like on me skin.  This is nothing like the teakwood in, say, Antikythera Mechanism.  Instead, there's an almost minty, camphorous opening, definitely cool in tone, whereas teak and salt tend to be warm notes on me.  So I agree with the previous reviewers that this is a kind of bracing, spa-like scent.