Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Orris Root, Carnation & Tobacco

Shoot, this did not work out on me as I understand it has worked out for others. Tested from a decant that sat for a day or so.

I am thinking I love each of these components. In discussions on BPAL Parlor on the facebooks, I heard it was too caramelly for some. One person's too caramelly is my heaven, so I was hoping for sweet and rich. I got something more along the lines of what she was hoping for - all carnation. Spicy pink floral. I can barely detect the tobacco after some time, up really close. But definitely not the predominant note I was hoping for.

I'll give it a go in some time to see if things have changed. That tobacco can be awful reluctant to play. 

Carnation isn't a note I'm super into, but I love both orris and tobacco, so I wanted to give a decant a try. I think I'm having the opposite experience as groovyrooby -- the carnation mostly stays in the background for me, adding a little spiciness and a subtle floral back note to the scent. I'm mainly getting soft orris and caramelly, chewy tobacco. A few hours after drydown, I'm getting just tobacco. I tend to amp tobacco, so other people might have a more carnation-forward experience with this. It's definitely an intriguing take on my usual tobacco blends, but I'm good with just a decant.

Spicy carnation with a whiff of tobacco. This reminds me to Hod. If you miss Hod, give this a whirl. It's not exactly the same, but given that Hod has been discontinued for a really long time, I mean. Good throw and wear length.

The orris root grounds the scent with tobacco and carnation battling for center stage. On my skin the carnation prevails with tobacco adding a warm undertone. Only with a deep inhale does the tobacco really come out.

I'll have to agree with zankoku_zen that it's a spicy carnation with just a whiff of tobacco.

Good throw, I can smell it on my arm through my sweatshirt as I'm typing this. Too impatient to comment on wear length.

Update: long wearing. I ended up making it into a spray because I like it on my clothes (I get more tobacco that way) and not my skin.

Edited by coffin.baby

Sweet and spicy carnation with a heap of tobacco (shisha/chewy/French type found in Snaky-Hair'd Moirai Many-Form'd, et al). On me this is about 60/40 carnation/tobacco; orris is making a quieter play here than it normally does. In the bottle this was almost all tobacco, but once it hit the skin it started to recede quite quickly. The spicy, cinnamon-nutmeg-dirt of the carnation plus the thick sweetness of the tobacco is giving me vibes of a super fancy expensive pink bubblegum. I don't normally like the extra-sticky tobacco because it tends to go very treacly on me, but the carnation is balancing it nicely here.

Fully dry, the tobacco sneaks back in and wrestles for dominance with the carnation. This isn't quite me, but I am still enjoying it. 

Spicy carnation, lightly sweetened and lightly earthened (is that a word?? No. No it is not.) 

Orris and tobacco are unrecognizable, but I appreciate the roles they play here in elevating the carnation. 

I didn’t like this at first, but now I kind of love it. It’s going to be a great winter scent, I think.