Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Beeswax, Cedarwood & Bourbon Vanilla

I love this. :heart: Soft beeswax, polished cedarwood, and lightly sweet bourbon vanilla are all notes I was predisposed to love together, so it's not really surprising, but I feel really content when I smell it just the same. This smells like a luxurious study with aged cedarwood furniture and fresh beeswax candles that still have that touch of honeyed sweetness to them (not that this smells like honey, I think the vanilla + beeswax just gives me that sweet beeswax impression). Fresh out of the mail, this seems like a skin scent for sure, although I do catch lovely wafts of it now and then. I hope resting/aging will make the longevity a little better, but otherwise, no complaints.

One for the beeswax lovers.

Sweet bourbon vanilla beeswax, a bit honeyed. 

In drydown, some warm cedar emerges. It adds a reddish-brown woodiness to the vanilla beeswax, but doesn't blend as closely as the other two notes. At least, not at this age.

This has rested a week and the throw is good enough that I would only wear a little dab to work.

I don't know if it's just the specific beeswax note in this scent or how it's playing with the bourbon vanilla, but this definitely smells honeyed to me. I'm getting beeswax and honey, with a whiff of vanilla and cedarwood. The cedar gets more pronounced on me as it dries down, adding a backbone of dry woodiness to the scent and toning down the sweetness a bit. It fades again after drydown, though, leaving me with sweet, honeyed beeswax and vanilla with a faint breath of cedar. (It might just be the vanilla and honey, but this reminds me a little bit of O.) Agreed that it has fairly strong throw. I can probably hold off on a full bottle, but I'll keep using my decant.

Hnnngh. This is the cedarwood from Tombstone paired with the Lab's lovely beeswax note. The beeswax and cedarwood are pretty even at first, but the beeswax and vanilla gain strength with wear, and really smooth over that lovely cedar.

This is amazing. Pretty sure a decant won't be enough. :wub2: 

In the bottle, I get gentle vanilla and a strong beeswax.

On the skin, the cedar comes out much stronger than the other two notes, but those two do round it out so it's not a sharp cedar, but soft and sweet. The longer its on, the more the cedar fades and it returns to beeswax with soft vanilla.

Good throw, medium wear time. 

I'm not a huge fan of wax notes, but this one ended up being pretty nice! I mostly got the bourbon vanilla and beeswax. The beeswax is sweet, like there's still some honey clinging to it. Not getting much cedarwood until it dries, but even then it still stays predominantly in the background.

This does have a very long wear time, which I really appreciate! Still going fairly strong 6 hours later, only the bourbon vanilla has faded. It now resembles a powdery chocolate beeswax for some reason. Skin chemistry is weird.

Tombstone plus beeswax and minus the balsam. The cedar here isn’t the raw cedar-chest variety (Coiled Serpent) nor it is the gentle, caramelized-wood variety (Cedarwood and Smoked Vanilla) but it is sitting right in the middle. I think How Doth the Little Crocodile uses this cedar too, but it's unmistakeable for Tombstone. 

Fully dry it's a cedary cocoa butter/chocolate situation. Like a Hershey’s factory in a lumber mill (I can dig it). Woody, slightly foody, skin-soft. It’s close enough to Tombstone and to raw cocoa butter that I don’t think I’ll need more than the decant. I feel like if this had a gritty base note like patchouli or leather it might send me over the moon, so I will try layering. It's quite cozy and straightforward as-is, so if it sounds like you'll like it you probably will.

I'm all about the beeswax, and cedar is a note I love too.  Beeswax, Cedarwood and Bourbon Vanilla does not disappoint.  It's so so yummy.  Beeswax and cedar to start out with, candles lit in an ancient forest clearing.  Then the sweet vanilla joins the mix, softening the wilder notes.  Gorgeous, with good staying power.  If you are a beeswax lover, you need to try this before it goes away.  To quote doomsday_disco, Hnnngh.  

If you love these notes, especially the beeswax, I highly recommend it.  It is such a beautiful wax/vanilla/cedar.  Quite strong with a generous throw.  It reminds me of my very beloved (Not) so Penitent (Mini) Mag...at least it is in the same family.  It is both comforting and beautiful.  It may be my favorite BPAL wax so far and that is probably because this note is most prominent. 

starts off with that gorgeous cedar taking the lead: bold and brassy, almost balsamic. sweetened and blunted somewhat by creamy beeswax, with the barest vanilla underpinning.  it's quite pleasant now, but a little discordant.  like listening to an orchestra tune their instruments.

as it starts to dry the vanilla surges up, the cedar mellows, and all the notes shift into perfect harmony.  smooth, creamy, and sweet from the vanilla and beeswax, woodsy and a little sharp from the cedar. it's like everything my nose craves, and very much my kinda thing. 

This is a little bottle of perfect: three of my favorite notes in a wholesome yet sexy tangle. Beeswax is a really complicated scent,  holy/profane, sweet/spitty, wild/domesticated. I love the way the cedar & vanilla anchor beeswax between them.