Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pecan Pie Oud is mostly Oud, and definitely not Karo-syrup sweet. I'm getting more of the savory aspects of the pecans, which smell toasted and a little salty. There's warmth here too, but it's understated. There's a little bit of spiciness from the crust note. This is a surprisingly sophisticated, lightly gourmand scent I could see wearing on a regular basis if not for its rareness.

In the imp: Praline pecans and oud. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's oud softened by sugar and a bit of spice. Pecans don't come across at all. As it dries, I get a touch of the "oud stank" I'm sure we all know and love, but that mellows a lot once the drydown is complete. That said, I still get oud as the main note, with sweetness and gentle spice in the background. I cannot pick out pecan at all. As someone who usually amps all nut notes to hell and gone, I feel this is significant. 

Once everything is settled, it's soft oud and just a touch of toasty pecans, very elegant and wearable. 

This is yummy and oh so beautiful for the season. Starts out nutty and rich, then the oud wraps you in comfort… There is a whiff of bandaid, but that soon passes, and then it’s just handsome all the way through. Toward the end I sense patchouli and maybe even a little soapy oakmoss. I really love it. Not too sweet, but warm and sensual. Modest throw, average wear.

This is one of the few ouds that doesn't go stanky on me. I agree with the first reviewer. It's more of the savory element of the pecan with a hint of spices. I wouldn't attribute any pie notes to it.

Pleasant, woody oud softened with hints of spices and bready crust. 

Later, I get a little pecan that reads as dry, savory, and woody -- picking its traits up from the blended oud, I think. And then, it's so good, if you like savory and woody. A bit patchouli-like. Ung.

The pecan pie is pretty toned down in this scent, at least compared to Pumpkin Pie Musk which I just tested. There’s pleasant, sweet nuttiness that pairs pretty nicely with the oud. The oud is spicy and yes, a bit animalistic, but it keeps this from being a straightforward foodie blend and turns it into something unique. Sometimes when I wear oud, it just seems to amplify the other notes, so it took me a long time to get the “indoles” people mentioned. But here the oud is definitely noticeable on its own. I’m not hating on it. It doesn’t smell like poop to me. It’s just its own thing and it works here!

Disclaimer: Oud and I are not friends. We glare at each other from opposite sides of the playground. That being said, let's continue...

Wet: Okay, so right off the bat - this isn't the stanky oud that haunts my dreams. It's a mellowed, salty oud? Not getting any pecan scent, it's just.. salty oud. 

Dry: Remember when I said about 15 seconds ago this wasn't stanky? Well, it's a smidgen stanky now, but it's not making me run for the hills or anything. Still not a pecan nor a pie in sight. (Or anything reminiscent of.)

I would take this review with a grain of salt if oud tends to work for your skin - for me, it's never worked well, and tends to overpower every other note. :(  

I've had mixed experiences with oud in BPAL blends -- all the way from "STEPPED IN FRESH POOP" to a subtle but deep spicy-smoky-woody-musky note. Typically it doesn't work on me, though.

In the imp: A pretty whiff of pecans, syrup and something bitter-musky! Promising.

Wet: No other note detectable than BANDAID. Strong, fresh, immensely overpowering BANDAID. I'm guessing my skin is amping the oud and that drowns everything else out. Husband was drafted to see if he could smell other notes and he immediately recoiled from my wrist. It's not the bad oud stank, but very unpleasant.

Drydown: The BANDAID smell is going away, but unfortunately it's being replaced by rubber. The smell isn't really getting any better, just fainter, but it's still pungent. Not much throw but once you get close the rubber washer smell hits you in the nose. 

Dry: The bandaid/rubber washer scent is still hanging on even though I washed my hands repeatedly with dishwasher detergent while cooking! It's still terrible, though. Hours and hours later I was still getting whiffs of BANDAID and new car tires from my skin. The longevity and consistency was impressive! ....even if with a kind of awful result. 

I'm keeping this because it was a limited treat and it's part of a set, and maybe it'll change as it ages! I really don't think I got BANDAID from oud before. I also wonder what it might be like in a scent locket. It was very interesting to test!

In the imp and when it first hits my skin I smell something almost like turpentine? It reminds me of painting with oils, sort of woody and chemical. As it dries it gets more spicy--there's a cinnamon and clove thing under the turpentine smell, and it's a little sweeter. Once dry there's a bit of bandaid/rubberness, lingering turpentine, and spice. If I could stop it at halfway dry I think I'd actually wear it, but the final result just isn't great on me. Ah well.

Bakery scents typically do NOT work on me. Anything with honey or sugar notes amps so much sweetness that I gag. The cherry cream scent was sticky cough syrup. Awful.

This scent is magic. I am one of the lucky ones for whom oudh does not stink. I love it. This scent is oudh heavy, with a light nuttiness backing it up. I’m sure thee are some very subtle spices mixed in there, but none that stand out. It is beautifully blended. As it dries, the scent lightens up quite a bit. I fear I would need to apply this heavily for a stronger throw and duration, which is a bummer since we only get the imp.

If this ever is made in bottles I will be first in line to snag one. This scent is warm and cozy, yet sophisticated. I will happily take it off the hands of anyone who is not a fan!

I'm also in the "more oud than pecan" camp. Throughout its wear time, this is a deep, woody, spicy oud, with a hint of nutty sweetness in the background. Fortunately, the oud behaves -- there are moments where I think I'm picking up something indolic, but this oud doesn't go stanky on me. This might be my favorite of the pie series.

This is more about the oudh than the pecan on me, but it's not a poo-dh type of oudh. It's dark and smooth. The pecan here just adds some nuttiness to the scent and takes a few hours to cozy up to the oudh, but it's not pie-like at all. There's no syrupy pecan pie sweetness from these pecans, and no pie crust to be found.

While I wish this had been at least a little pie-like, I'm glad it didn't give me flashbacks to Mother Shub's Pumpkin Pecan Treacle Tarts. :P This was fun to try, but I don't think it's a scent I would gravitate towards.

Mostly oud, a bit of sugar, a bit of spice, with an almost vanilla sweetness beneath the oud. Very woodsy and warm, like you're all bundled up trekking through a forest at twilight and can smell a bakery somewhere ahead. It doesn't specifically read as pecan pie but it's very pleasant. Wish the throw was stronger, I quite like this one! It would make a great atmo, too.

The oud here is not rich enough to have an indole smell. It smells dry, a bit like old cardboard boxes, with some  sugar (not enough to be truly sweet) and a toasted note.

At first when I put it on it almost smelled soapy but that passed quickly.

This is nice, overall but then I like cardboard box oud.

First, oud and I don't get along - it's usually either poopy or overly perfumey on me. Pecan Pie Oud is well-behaved oud. Initially I get a whole lot of nuttiness with a perfumey oud underneath. I get a little buttery pastry dough, then it settles into the sweet chess filling plus gentle, smooth oud. 

Is this... could it be? An oud my completely unrefined self can wear without feeling like a catbox??

Like biggnerd above me I have yet to meet an oud scent I can happily wear. Until this! It's lovely warm-pie-filling, the nuttiness is lovely and light, and it's not too sweet.

Wet: Pie filling, spices, and warmth.

Dry: Mainly allspice and clove, and something that makes me keep huffing my wrist (oud?).

Nutty oudh. The oudh is more prevalent on wet, and as it dries, you get more nutty pecan. It's a dry, not-sweet, gourmand blend. Basically this smells like actual pecans, with a dry background and a whiff of spice. Good throw and wear length.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:21 AM, MRonHubbard said:

It’s practically CRIMINAL that this isn’t available as a full bottle (in case anyone’s listening...!) Full review later.

CAME HERE TO SAY THIS HECK YEAH

First of all, let me say that I need a whole bottle of this, STAT.  I want to slather this on with abandon. In the vial:  A blast of nutty, caramelly oudh.  On, wet:  Aaah, here's the test, as oudh is usually either "total sex goddess" or "cat box" on me with no room in between.  Luckily, it's the former here!  Oddly sexy-sweet combo of...pecan pie and oudh, with the oudh really elevating the vanilla notes especially.  Drydown:  A really interesting gourmandy almost skin musk kind of thing!  Says close to the skin, a tad powdery, with lingering notes of pie crust, roasted nuts, vanilla, and caramel oudh.  YUM.

This is the oud that made me less afraid of oud; it's not poopy or barnyard-y at all, but rather provides a woody-ness that keeps the scent from being super sweet. Nutty, sweet (but not too much so), woody, with a hint of something bright that's almost citrusy. I don't smell the pie crust note in this like I did in Cherry Cream Pie Chypre. Pairs nicely with Pumpkin Pie Musk since it's not as sweet or gourmand as PPM.

Oud is generally not a good thing on me, and it's not good here, either! I do get a sweet nutty scent wafting around that, which I like, but overall it's just not working well. I'll keep the imp, and see if it works in a diffuser!