Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roseus

Winter and Yule in the GC

Not too long ago there was a bit of chatter about beloved autumnal gems that could be found in the trove of the GC and I'm wondering if anyone has winter favorites among them? Two in my collection that leap out are Morana and Alisz (coincidentally both CD!)

Ranger and Elf both have that lovely evergreen thing going on. I know Elf has florals and more spring/summer notes, but to me the aspen leaves give it a coolness that makes it fit in with winter scents for me, too. 

Dana O'Shee also has a cool, creamy marzipan vibe. 

Most of these I'll wear happily year round, but give me colder weather vibes. Apparently, the notes that make me think "winter" seem to be beeswax, spices, evergreens.

Probably the strongest winter association for me is No. 93 Engine. The warm resins work well with the crisp mastic and balsam.

Spellbound is too much for me when it's warm out, but I like it when it's cold out. Rose in general I like a lot more in the colder months.

Sin has a cozy, cinnamon-tea-and-a-blanket feel to it. Also Shub! And Hellfire should always be worn when there's a wicked, blustery storm outside, and you're standing by a crackling fireplace conspiring whilst decked out in fancy attire -- so that's holiday-esque, right?

Lights of Men's Lives for softly burning candles.

Dee is a perennial favorite, but it best suits autumn/winter, and brings to mind a comfy study, surrounded by aged paper.

And I agree that Elf works well in both summer and winter. It has enough of each season to be welcome either way.

Golden Priapus is a lovely vanilla, amber, and pine blend that smells like Christmas to me.  

Also, Tintagel (which was sadly discontinued) had a great winter holiday vibe to it. 

Edited by wendyb1063

Definitely Sin, and though I've just recently discovered Shub, I'm amazed by its gingeryness and completely approve of it as a winter and Yule. 

Also, and I realize this probably says loads about what it's like in my brain, Miskatonic University. It's more winter than Yule-specific, but it definitely has a "curled up with a book and an adult coffee" vibe going on. 

Shub is definitely on my winter list as well (though I break it out in autumn it is reminiscent of very fiery gingerbread to me). I had forgotten Elf, I had a bottle long ago and loved it. I've now picked up a replacement! 

Wanted to add Jersey Devil which I need to retry now that my tastes have changed a bit, that cranberry & evergreen combo screams winter it almost needs not mention!

Seconding a couple already mentioned -- Shub for sure is very holiday-esque with its yummy gourmand ginger warmth. Golden Priapus also is very wintery, like a more robust Lights of Men's Lives, more cabin in the snow glowing hearth smoke vibe.