Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
biggest_ghost

I want to smell like a wizard...

...but BPAL's frankincense goes soapy on me, leaving me smelling like I just had a nice shower. Is there hope in the catalogue for a guy who'd rather smell like he just finished summoning up the spirits of the dead to chat with?

@biggest_ghost Oh, yes.  You want Dee.  Here's the full scent description:  John Dee: master of science, alchemy and magic, Hermetic philosopher in the schools of Rosicrucian Christian Mysticism and Platonic-Pythagorean doctrine, and Queen Elizabeth’s astrologer, advisor, cryptologist and spy. With Edward Kelly, he created a field of study and work in Angelic Evocation, and isolated the Angelic language: Enochian. His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.  

Or if you want to smell like an alchemist, there's Brimstone.  Or Incantation is kind of dark wizardy.  The Black Tower definitely has some of that "summoning the spirits of the dead" vibe, and Scholar's Tower for more theoretical wizardry. And if you want to smell like a wizard who's been consorting with broomstick-riding witches in forest orgies, Diese Dumpfen Pfaffenchristen or any of the Walpurgisnacht scents might be an excellent choice.  That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there are more.  Don't despair!

Edited by Lucchesa

@biggest_ghost Honestly, I don't think there's a better place to look than BPAL if you want to smell like a conjurer of spirits. Pick a mood or a scent note and go through the lab's directory... Djinn for summoning fire spirits, Nosferatu for chatting with vampires over wine, Light of Men's Lives for the candles filling your wizard's tower, Azathoth or Oblivion for losing your mind whilst staring into the abyss... and that's in addition to all of Lucchesa's suggestions! Dee and Black Tower are beloved staples of my own little collection, so I must second those recommendations. Black Tower in particular veers towards the ghostly in my opinion. TLDR; Don't worry, you'll find something wizardly.

Something like conjuring spirits makes me think of Nyarlahotep, which is some manner of incense with flashes of lime and watery ozone.  The touch of lime and ozone combined with the dark smoky backdrop makes me think of sparks of bright magical energy zapping through a dark room.  Incense notes can be hit-or-miss, but I don't detect frankincense in this one (if it's there, it's well-blended) and it feels more "ritual" than "headshop."

Ozone goes soapy on a lot of people though, so YMMV.

Brimstone's a shoe-in for alchemy as previously mentioned.  It's ashen and smoky, but surprisingly wearable (YMMV again, there are many people who would dispute this).

There are about a million different scents that would work for a necromancer.

Thanks so much, y'all! I'd been worried about the "incense" notes in a few of the mentioned blends containing frankincense, but I trust the judgement of those far wiser in the ways of BPAL. I'll be putting all these bad boys on my wishlist!

Sign in to follow this