Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Flickering Lights, Fluttering Curtains

I've never been first to review! Fun times. This just came in the mail about an hour ago, but let me tell you, I already have another bottle in my cart. 

In the bottle I get mostly warm amber and vanilla. Definitely an instant love upon sniff. On the skin, you can pick up on the smoked aspect of the vanilla, but it smells like a "lace". This is going to be a big hit, for sure. Beautiful vanilla blend!

Oh my goodness is this beautiful. If I can be so presumptuous, I feel like if there was a lace called Ghost Lace this would be it. It’s a breathy, barely sweet, gorgeous lace with a warm floral undertone. It doesn’t morph too too much over time, but it does seem to warm up and get ever so slightly chai-tea-spicier.

It makes me think of getting dressed up to go out to a fancy bar: I get a hint of the cognac as though I was smelling it on someone’s breath, and there’s something that’s juuust slightly powdery, a little like the scent of a nice lipstick. Maybe the ghosts in this house are an elegant couple.

Love it, need backups, etc. etc.! If you’re a Lace fan, definitely give this a try.

Edited by rhonorv

This is stunningly beautiful. I get the vanilla with the traces of something smoky and dark, but it's still a fragile and light scent, with cleanly sweet florals scenting the linen, and the softest puff of amber powder that I actually don't hate.

I will need a bottle of this.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:50 PM, rhonorv said:

I feel like if there was a lace called Ghost Lace this would be it.

^^^^^^^^ Totally agree with this.

If you missed Tattered Lace or Black Opal, try this. This is an amazing creamy cognac vanilla lace. No smoke or heavy herbal chamomile notes, slight powdery florals brightening it up. Ghost Lace all the way. I totally agree this feels fancy, like maybe we are going to visit Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. I don't get the linen/fresh laundry vibe from Black Lace, this is far creamier.

Also for fans of Antique Lace, Zorya P, and A Spirit, Katie. 

Later the pretty florals emerge more. It's more white and ghostly now. Gorgeous gorgeous.

This is going to be highly sought after. Well done, Lab!

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

This was the weenie I was most worried about. Regular amber is a death note on me, but I loved everything else so I risked it. Lucky white amber is NOT a death note on me!

I agree with everyone that this smells very much like a Lace, which I adore. It's a soft sweet vanilla that's a little bright, probably the amber, and old linen. The linen note in this one seems a little "older" to me then in AL 2017, and it makes this scent a bit more delicate and gentle. There's a bit of smokiness around the edges and the entire scent is just a bit powdery which I think is the florals. Overall, absolutely lovely and definitely a new fav.

The throw on me is very light, though I occasionally get whiffs of vanilla as I move. It's definitely a skin scent, and I may put it on a pillow or plushie for cuddle time.

I just received this in the mail, and I plan to write a longer review later, but I think RoseThornAndOak is right: this reminds me very much of Tattered Lace. Perhaps a little warmer in feel. I'll do a side-by-side comparison in a few days and report back. 

Edited by Lill

I am unfamiliar with the Laces, but maybe I need to get there. Tested from a decant that rested a few days.

My first thoughts were sweet and maybe violet, for the soap bubble solution vibe I was getting. And almost something like sweet orange oil. The bubbles didn't last long, though, and it's turned into a warm, sweet golden glow that reminds me of Zorya P. It's a classy perfume smell, and I'm guessing it's the pale/white amber and cognac/tobacco they have in common. It's like a rich, creamy dreamsicle with something floral dressing it up. Casts a nice aura of scent.

Really pretty, would be nice for formal occasions but perfectly lovely to sniff while working from home all day, too. Gonna hafta dig into the tomes of Laces now, I suppose. 

This is warm vanilla and amber sweetness with just a tinge of the cognac giving it a tiny, gentle kick (more like a nudge?). If you find Laces don't work well on you except for Antique Lace (that's my situation!) then this one also works nicely, and is very reminiscent of that.

This is lovely. It opens as soft billows of vanilla and (to my nose, oddly), a tiny burst of citrus. It may be the florals and amber reading differently to me, but that's what makes this a very bright scent until it settles into what seems like a Lace scent, as others have said. After a few minutes, the smokiness comes out but it's very faint, just rounding the scent out and keeping it from being too sweet. It still smells like clouds of vanilla a few hours later. Beautiful.

Flickering Lights, Fluttering Curtains features a soft, cool, billow-y vanilla (the same one from Zorya P) that's been cozied up to by some sweet floral note -- I'm thinking its the davana. There are touches of white amber and cognac which add some sophistication, and after a while, I get a touch of chamomile, too. I don't get any smoke from this, and the champaca note in this must be different than the varieties I normally come across, because it isn't problematic at all. While I understand the Lace comparisons, there is no tobacco here and not enough cognac for it to truly smell like a "Lace" to me.

I think this smells lovely, but I know I wouldn't reach for it over Pediophobia or Zorya P. But I'll be passing on my decant to my mom, as I think she would really enjoy this.

Edited by doomsday_disco

This is a gorgeous, cool billowy ploof of ethereal vanilla, lacy smoke and freshly laundered sheets. Upon first application there is the slightest breath of Victorian face powder, a puff of smoke, and an unsettling chilly scent of gossamer white flowers, as if someone is leaning in towards you, only to whisk quickly away.  The coldness of this scent when first applied is pure magic, and as it settles, wafts subtly and beautifully as you move about. I don't know how Beth designed such MOVEMENT within this perfume, but it's so artful and understated and elegant. A new classic, I think. 

When I first applied this, I worried I was anosmic to it, but the vanilla blossomed as it warmed on the skin. This is a cool, ethereal vanilla for sure, and somehow there really is a sense of a breeze in it. I detect the linen, chamomile, and cognac, but mostly this is about that floaty vanilla once it warms up. I haven't actually tried many of the Laces, but this does remind me of Antique Lace and, to an extent, The Girl, though The Girl is more ambery. Overall, this is an elegant, understated vanilla perfume that manages to be airy and chilly.

I agree with all of the others that this is lovely. Complex vanilla with a slight lift of a clean top note.

It smells like a much mellower Edith Cushing to me; same balance of vanilla with refined top notes but Flickering Lights is softer, smoother, and more well balanced.

Decent wear and low throw — it’s not a lasts-all-day blend on me.

Very lovely vanilla lace, pretty and soft. I too think it's like a gentler Edith Cushing. Stays close to my skin. I think this should be a huge hit.

Haunted Lace anyone? 

This blend is the winner of Weenie 2020, for me. The chamomile is notable and a lovely new note for a Lace blend. Warm buttery glowing cognac, vanilla and chamomile. Soft and sheer but with serious throw. ❤️ The davana does a great job at emoting white fluttering curtains. When mixed with the warmth of the amber and glow of yellowlight champaca you totally get the flickering lights vibe. 

Edited by SophieCedar

More confirmation to me that laces aren't my thing.

Wet: Vanilla, something astringent, and Jergens lotion.

Dry: the lotion smell mostly fades and scent becomes a warm smoky Vanilla.

Later: And now it smells like powdery vanilla sunscreen. This is a nope for me.

Echoing all of the comments that this is practically a lace. I love laces, so it's no surprise that this is an instant love for me.

It reminds me a lot of Antique Lace, with chamomile and light florals. It has a sort of ethereal, haunting quality to it. On my skin it isn't so much a heavy smoked vanilla as a creamy, luscious vanilla with something lurking behind the very distant shadows -- the flickering light vibe. It's very creamy, but not in a heavier way that scents like Boo! are creamy. Rather, it has that kind of soft, pillowy, lightly creamy texture that I love in blends like Antique Lace. This isn't powdery on me at all, nor is it too "plain" like some vanilla heavy scents can get. The chamomile gives it a sort of relaxing component and makes the scent feel rather calming.

This is lovely and one of my favorites amongst the Weenies. Haunting and comforting at the same time. If laces work for you, this is definitely a must.

Here to add absolutely nothing new, but...

This is a lovely, softly sweet vanilla with a hint of a warmer smoky feel. It's light but creamy. It's a sugared sweet, but only lightly dusted. Who knew light and shadows dancing on a flowing white curtain had a smell. Surprisingly good throw for such a soft scent, and with good wear.

This would make a perfect vanilla staple in a collection and I could see how this would layer well with a thousand different things.

Ghost lace! Warm vanilla with a hint of spice. Unfortunately, this ghost is too unsubstantial for me -- it faded so, so quickly. I do like vanilla scents right before bed, though, so I'll use it my imp for that.

Wet: Echoing basically everyone else here - this is a ghostly, haunted lace. Warm, sweet vanilla and cognac. (There's no linen note listed, and it may be my brain playing tricks on me.. but it smells like there's a linen note in here.)

Dry: Oooo this is even better on the dry down. Warmer, and sweeter vanilla than before with cognac and.. I think chamomile? My brain is still smelling a linen note as well.

Gorgeous. Bottle worthy.

20/10, cannot get enough of this! It is smooth and creamy vanilla chamomile. Definitely similar to a Lace, even without the Lace base. This is soothing, calming, incredibly wearable. I'm in love